Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

57 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Given rowett worked with him at brum, I think there's some confidence he knows and likes him.

Apply that logic to:-

Clement & Blackman

Imagine if Rowett bought Shotton back to Derby?!?!!?!? How would you feel? 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, valleyram said:

He was dreadful at rangers but playing in a bad team but he's no better than what we have unless I never saw something up here that he has 

The stats don't show him being dreadful at rangers altho maybe the standard in SPL is below Championship level, Celtic excepted. His stats at Championship are OK ish but nothing special for a winger/ attacking midfielder. Competition for Russell maybe. 

I love how so many have such an opinion on a player which lets be honest weve probably paid attention to for about 5 minutes max before our interest was announced 

if he can stay involved for more than 20 minutes of the game then hes one up on butters lol

33 minutes ago, feisty said:

this is uninspiring. 

We can spend £2mn better than this

A traffic cone would have been better than Butterfield tonight, and that wouldn't set you back more than a couple of quid.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

A traffic cone would have been better than Butterfield tonight, and that wouldn't set you back more than a couple of quid.

A good enough night on the town will have you ending up with one for free! 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

A good enough night on the town will have you ending up with one for free! 

And a copper's helmet.

Of course I'm skeptical about Rowett at present @cheron85, seems completely illogical to me not to have doubts. I'll continue supporting the team regardless and hope that the doubts I have prove unfounded (although he can't unsell Hughes unfortunately). Hardly an heretical position to take.

As for Toral, I'd be quite pleased about this. Yeah I'd have doubts about whether he would succeed here or not too, but I think it's a risk well worth taking.  He's still very young which is excellent. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

This is the kind of signing I expected from Rowett. Young, promising, a little raw, and with a point to prove. If the quoted price of £2 million is accurate, this could be a bargain if it works out.

From what I know, he came through the ranks at Barcelona and then Arsenal, so if nothing else, we would be getting a player with a strong technical base.

At this level, he did well at Brentford and Birmingham but didn't really make an impact in Scotland or Spain, but this is typical for young players out on loan. Some clubs are a good fit for them. Some clubs are not. If he is linking up again with Rowett, under whom he played the best football of his short career, our club might be a good fit for him as he will understand what Rowett wants from him and be able to settle in more quickly.

At first team level, Wisdom has only had one notable season in his career and the same too with Lawrence. Inconsistency is rife amongst players of that age. It's strange that those two are no more proven than Toral, yet people are dancing on the ceiling about them.

For me, signing Toral for £2 million could be the best business we do all summer.

I'm convinced!

Is he friends with jota? Could be a promising young player that rowett feels could improve us and himself as a player with the added bonus jota joins to make up our Spanish pairing,,,, probably miles off but who knows

10 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

The stats don't show him being dreadful at rangers altho maybe the standard in SPL is below Championship level, Celtic excepted. His stats at Championship are OK ish but nothing special for a winger/ attacking midfielder. Competition for Russell maybe. 

Maybe????? Bottom half of SPL teams are on a par with League 2/National League teams.....

A lot of people on here are saying we missed a trick with Ollie Watkins for 1.8m

Well Toral is 22, has shown he can play at this level and come through Barcelona + Arsenal's academy, he is reported to be around 2m so a similar price to Watkins. Watkins is 21 so only a year younger and never played at this level so is surely more of a risk than Toral would be. Plus Rowett has the knowledge of what Toral would bring to the team as well as an idea to how he would fit within the squad in terms of personality.

20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

A lot of people on here are saying we missed a trick with Ollie Watkins for 1.8m

Well Toral is 22, has shown he can play at this level and come through Barcelona + Arsenal's academy, he is reported to be around 2m so a similar price to Watkins. Watkins is 21 so only a year younger and never played at this level so is surely more of a risk than Toral would be. Plus Rowett has the knowledge of what Toral would bring to the team as well as an idea to how he would fit within the squad in terms of personality.

What is this 'sense' you are talking? Most unwelcome.

49 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Top post 

Compared to some of the players we've signed over the last 3 years, £2m for a young player with experience in the division and pedigree from the Barcelona and Arsenal academies (bearing in mind we've just sold about £19m of players) is not exactly a bad investment. I thought we all wanted this kind of approach again??

Might encourage one of the midfielders Rowett wants out to seek a deal elsewhere.

Archived