Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

36 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

None of those would consider the 10 their natural position though. IMO we need someone who's played there for most of their career and can be creative on the ball in the final third. Vydra played their last season and although he scored a few, he didn't look to get on the ball and instead simply scored goals that he would score as a striker. I imagine Nugent would be the same, whilst Weimman doesn't have the technical ability to play there. The only ones I could potentially see playing the 10 properly are Butterfield and perhaps Martin (at a push).

Edit: That's not to say that I wouldn't give Vydra a run there next season, it's just I think we need a natural 10 in there in case those options don't work out. Vydra looked promising in those few games last season but I wouldn't want to go into the season purely with round pegs in square holes.

Whilst your not wrong that Vydra and Nugent (although Nugent played there pretty much at leicester) aren't #10s in the traditional sense, we don't necessarily want a traditional #10 with Martin playing up front. Martin will drop into those spaces and look to get on the ball, this means that you want more of 'second striker' playing behind him. Somebody who will start deeper but actively looking to burst past Martin, this is pretty much how we were set up in 13/14 with Bryson/Martin. 

It's also worth bearing in mind that if we want to start with say Nugent leading the line we have both Butterfield and Martin to play there. Martin was a #10 for most of his career and played there to good effect with Grant Holt at Norwich. And Butterfield played there pretty much exclusively at Huddersfield with Wells leading to good effect. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

YESSSS!! Been saying we should go for this guy for ages!!

Get him in Gary! 

Well he scored against Burnley, so he gets the @B4ev6is seal of approval...

Always looks a calm player who plays with his head up, when I've seen him.  Will no doubt be kicking his heels at Arsenal this season, and has played for GR before.  Sounds like this has got some legs to it.

Him & Lawrence, and I'd be hard for a week!!!

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Surely Lawrence would be signed as a winger? Toral is a central player. 

I've no idea. I was just throwing out a suggestion. I think I'm right in saying that Gary has said we are after a couple of attacking or forward thinking players, we have been linked with a couple but nothing has been made public about whether things are moving or not, and suddenly a new name comes out of the woodwork. 

That suggests to me that this guy wasn't first on the list and we were waiting until someone else didn't work out.

But as I say, just summising.

Has Rowett seen Toral train + play enough to make a good enough judgement - yes

Has Rowett seen our players train + play enough to make a good enough judgement - yes

So if Rowett feels that Toral could improve us and is better than what we currently have then I trust his judgement, he has made 3 top quality signings so far so will trust his judgement on any other future/potential signings

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Has Rowett seen Toral train + play enough to make a good enough judgement - yes

Has Rowett seen our players train + play enough to make a good enough judgement - yes

So if Rowett feels that Toral could improve us and is better than what we currently have then I trust his judgement, he has made 3 top quality signings so far so will trust his judgement on any other future/potential signings

Tough for anyone to better that post DCFC1388,so I'm not reading anymore today!

Stinks of back up option. If he was first choice I am sure we would have made the enquiry as soon as we received the Ince money.

Weird one as he is definitely not the pacey and/or strong type of option that GR alluded to wanting. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Indications are that we're looking at .... a new Ince-like winger (more creative, more link up play) to add to Russell (terrier with a brain), Anya (sprint to the byline and cross) and Blackman/Wiemann (head down, race for goal) would make sense?

I am amused by your suggestion that Russell has a brain. Did he go to Oz in the close season?

Almost as funny as Rangers Fans stirring up a "lightweight' storm about an Arsenal midfielder.

34 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I remember the gumps jumping to tell us how bad Ince was after a loan spell at them, look how that turned out.

Never write a player off based on one bad move!

I remember Derby fans saying Ince was the reason we ruined promotion.

26 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

I don't see this one as 'very very high quality' replacement sorry. 

No need to apologies to us because you don't find it 'very very high quality' replacement.

But I also don't think Rowett will give two monkeys what you think either.

Have you seen him play enough to make that judgement? The answer is... NO.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am amused by your suggestion that Russell has a brain. Did he go to Oz in the close season?

Almost as funny as Rangers Fans stirring up a "lightweight' storm about an Arsenal midfielder.

Just cos he's Scottish doesn't mean he's brainless - The second cup game against Leicester last year we only started looking capable of joining the midfield and attack once he came on

I admit most of his thoughts are probably "Where's the goal", "Get to the goal" and "Where's my Irn-Bru?" but he's a touch smarter than any of our other wingers - You can see occasionally that he's actually choosing which direction to go in - The others tend to just run into whatever space is left by the opposition defence

5 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

No need to apologies to us because you don't find it 'very very high quality' replacement.

Have you seen him play enough to make that judgement? The answer is... NO.

Cool story bro.

Rowett did say you have to have more than one choice in players for a position you are chasing and agents are very good at dragging talks out waiting to see if a better deal pops up.So Jota maybe first choice however how long do you wait and could ultimately fail and maybe miss out also on someone else.

Has for Toral  some players just click with certain managers he did with Rowett just like Ince did with MaClaren.The boy obviously has something Arsenal extended his contact back in January so they see value in him has a player.

12 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I think he probably would actually - He only said that for the benefit of the fans - At a point where we had just sold out two best players he was placating the fans by promising we'd get a high quality replacement - If the majority end up disgruntled over that I think it probably will bother him a bit

For clarity though - Not saying that won't be Toral - I haven't seen enough of him to know

ALSO for @Derby_EnglandLoyal I actually think Rowett said the thing about a very high quality replacement after the Ince sale - So if he's looking for 2 more attacking additions I would expect Toral to be in the middle and the very high quality replacement to still be in talks

Archived