Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

Who would he replace in our midfield?

Rowett likes Johnson and Bryson. Seems to like Butterfield as well, but he's been poor so far in pre season and wasn't great last year (though that could be said for most of the team).

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but I can't say too much as I've only seen him play against us. Can't make too much of a judgement based on that.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Are you friends with that English bloke Bob from Plymouth?

No , but if I was , we were in the same occupation and I was looking to relocate ,well it might sway me,,, 

15 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Doubts or reservations based on......? A negative mindset? Not at all, it's doubts or reservations based on observable and measurable information. Or lack thereof.

I feel like this is probably a debate for another thread - My point was that doubts and reservations are by their nature a negative mindset - Scepticism is a negative mindset - I'm not saying it necessarily leads to negative action - I'm sceptical about many things but generally that's when I've had reason to think they are not going to live up to expectations

I have said right from the start of my posts that this is the "half full vs half empty" debate - Both sides are stating that they are waiting to see what the evidence is - This is why I was arguing that calling people blind faithers based on their statements was wrong

9 hours ago, Highgate said:

Of course I'm skeptical about Rowett at present @cheron85, seems completely illogical to me not to have doubts. I'll continue supporting the team regardless and hope that the doubts I have prove unfounded (although he can't unsell Hughes unfortunately). Hardly an heretical position to take.

I'm not suggesting you wouldn't support the team - My problem from the start has been that you seem to veer wildly off to extremes - As you have again with 'heretical'

I have no doubt that Rowett has a plan - I have no doubt that he thinks it's the best plan - I have no doubt that he is molding the squad to enact that plan

Will that plan work? Who knows - I'm going to wait and see - BUT for now, with zero current evidence to work on, I am going to assume it's a good plan which will work - That isn't 'blind faith' as you like to call it - It's just trying to think a little positively going into a new era

mumblemumble
On 7/18/2017 at 09:33, RamsPolls said:

YESSSS!! Been saying we should go for this guy for ages!!

Get him in Gary! 

Another player you'd never heard of

Just now, mumblemumble said:

Another player you'd never heard of

Now I know you're just doing it to wind me up. If you haven't heard of this guy then you clearly only started watching the championship last year. He as Birmingham's best player for them when they came and smashed us 3-0 at PP. 

So stop fishing.

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I feel like this is probably a debate for another thread - My point was that doubts and reservations are by their nature a negative mindset - Scepticism is a negative mindset - I'm not saying it necessarily leads to negative action - I'm sceptical about many things but generally that's when I've had reason to think they are not going to live up to expectations

I have said right from the start of my posts that this is the "half full vs half empty" debate - Both sides are stating that they are waiting to see what the evidence is - This is why I was arguing that calling people blind faithers based on their statements was wrong

No I'm sorry scepticism is not equatable to negativity for the reasons I've already said. It's not about a glass half full or half empty. It might be for you, but Highgate is not being glass half empty. He's being glass contains god knows what.

I also don't think it's fair to say having faith in Rowett is blind faith as there are reasons to have a degree of faith in him. But not to the point we should suspend our critical thinking. If I think in advance that he might have made a bad signing I'll say so.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

If we asked about Toral on Monday and supposed to have agreed a deal for Ojo maybe last night or this morning could this mean one or two of our attacking players are close to leaving as well?

Either that or some of the players on our books are going to have to get used to sitting on their backsides for a majority of the season.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

If we asked about Toral on Monday and supposed to have agreed a deal for Ojo maybe last night or this morning could this mean one or two of our attacking players are close to leaving as well?

Hopefully Blackman.??

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I guess after a few weeks of training and games Rowett might be more comfortable telling a few players to find a deal somewhere else? I guess they'll take it seriously if he says these guys have got your place in the squad and those not needed won't even make the bench.

24 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

No I'm sorry scepticism is not equatable to negativity for the reasons I've already said.

I mean this is a debate which could rage forever and we're never going to get anywhere

26 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

It's not about a glass half full or half empty. It might be for you, but Highgate is not being glass half empty. He's being glass contains god knows what.

He said "I'll continue supporting the team regardless and hope that the doubts I have prove unfounded" in his last post - You can only have doubts if you've decided there's something in the glass

The key is - When we get to the season we'll all find out whether the glass was actually more or less full than we thought

47 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

I guess after a few weeks of training and games Rowett might be more comfortable telling a few players to find a deal somewhere else? I guess they'll take it seriously if he says these guys have got your place in the squad and those not needed won't even make the bench.

sadly it doesn't work that way. They have a deal already. It's not down to the player to find a new deal, it's down to the club to find a buyer, or pay off the player.

20 hours ago, Highgate said:

Why does it matter what Rowett thinks about his own abilities?  And why would you allow your opinion to automatically mirror his?  All that matters is whether he is actually good enough or not...and only time will tell in that regard.

He has only been Derby manager for a short time, and like all managers who've just started a new job, he has yet to prove himself here. I'm sure he knows that only too well. 

IMO (Toral) is good enough until he shows himself not to be. 

Sorry, I thought that was clear. 

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

sadly it doesn't work that way. They have a deal already. It's not down to the player to find a new deal, it's down to the club to find a buyer, or pay off the player.

Sure, but sitting out their deal on the bench could pretty much end the career of some players. Might at least encourage their agent to get them a loan or something.

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

IMO (Toral) is good enough until he shows himself not to be. 

Sorry, I thought that was clear. 

That's perfectly clear, and shows you are being consistent. That's not how I view things, as I don't know really know enough about Toral (or Rowett). Toral would seem to be worth the risk and I'm still hopeful about how Rowett.will turn out, however i don't find your faith particularly logical (suggesting 'blind faith' might have been a touch excessive on my part). On the other hand, we are all football fans and that in itself is hardly the most logical of pursuits. Maybe consistently having 'faith' makes things easier for the football fan in the long run.

21 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's perfectly clear, and shows you are being consistent. That's not how I view things, as I don't know really know enough about Toral (or Rowett). Toral would seem to be worth the risk and I'm still hopeful about how Rowett.will turn out, however i don't find your faith particularly logical (suggesting 'blind faith' might have been a touch excessive on my part). On the other hand, we are all football fans and that in itself is hardly the most logical of pursuits. Maybe consistently having 'faith' makes things easier for the football fan in the long run.

For me, it's more a case of decent until proved crap. Toral hasn't shown himself to be either to me, as I know very little about him. However, GR is a professional football manager, and former professional footballer. Arsene Wenger, is a highly regarded football manager, and the only manager to go an entire PL season unbeaten. Both those men rate Toral as a footballer.

With that in mind, I think it's more educated faith than anything. That said, all managers have their fair share of transfer flops, and Toral may well be that. But at the moment, he's yet to disprove the faith of those managers. 

12 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

For me, it's more a case of decent until proved crap. Toral hasn't shown himself to be either to me, as I know very little about him. However, GR is a professional football manager, and former professional footballer. Arsene Wenger, is a highly regarded football manager, and the only manager to go an entire PL season unbeaten. Both those men rate Toral as a footballer.

With that in mind, I think it's more educated faith than anything. That said, all managers have their fair share of transfer flops, and Toral may well be that. But at the moment, he's yet to disprove the faith of those managers. 

Exactly....even the very best.

Archived