Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

Disappointed by the Whelan news. I really rate what he does and brings to a team. I hope Rowett does bring somebody in because the midfield is not right. Thorne coming back is a big plus but I don't expect him to be flying come August.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm distraught that we aren't getting Whelan, and not just because it means I'll have to change my picture. Why wouldn't you want a player who was playing regular Premier League football next season? Quality player that we really could have used.

Just now, RamBamFan said:

I'm distraught that we aren't getting Whelan, and not just because it means I'll have to change my picture. Why wouldn't you want a player who was playing regular Premier League football next season? Quality player that we really could have used.

I would prefer one of the spare Manchester City forwards! 

I think we need more athleticism in the side anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken about this news.

Our current DM's are Thorne and sort of Johnson. I think they're both good and could work in a midfield two together, as well as on their own in a 4-3-3. But I'd like to see us have a DM that's a bit more nippy and energetic. The comparison is done to death because every fan of every team in the country probably says it, but we need a Kante type midfielder.

Closest we have right now is Bryson, I'd like to see us bring in someone like a young Bryson. Ryan Woods from Brentford is someone who stands out. 22, mobile and now an established DM at this level. Tidier on the ball than someone like Johnson too.

I'd be relatively happy if we rolled with Thorne, Johnson, Bryson and a midfielder like that as our options for the DM's in a 4-2-3-1 next year.

14 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think we need more athleticism in the side anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken about this news.

Our current DM's are Thorne and sort of Johnson. I think they're both good and could work in a midfield two together, as well as on their own in a 4-3-3. But I'd like to see us have a DM that's a bit more nippy and energetic. The comparison is done to death because every fan of every team in the country probably says it, but we need a Kante type midfielder.

Closest we have right now is Bryson, I'd like to see us bring in someone like a young Bryson. Ryan Woods from Brentford is someone who stands out. 22, mobile and now an established DM at this level. Tidier on the ball than someone like Johnson too.

I'd be relatively happy if we rolled with Thorne, Johnson, Bryson and a midfielder like that as our options for the DM's in a 4-2-3-1 next year.

You've confused me starting off talking about 433 then switching to 4231. Don't you need different types of midfield player for those?

5 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Don't think I've heard of this guy, any idea how accurate he is usually?

After Curtis Davies brother tweeted (which was quickly deleted) this guy James did the article about Curtis Davies to Derby. 

49 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

You've confused me starting off talking about 433 then switching to 4231. Don't you need different types of midfield player for those?

I was talking about a midfield two, then mentioned in passing that Thorne/Johnson can play holding in a 4-3-3. I'm trying to say we don't need to bring in another DM who is that sort of DM; big, strong but not too quick.

I think we need a more energetic DM who can give us mobility in a midfield two.

Johnson is probably mobile enough to partner Thorne but Thorne and Whelan together would be super slow. I wonder if we'd get overrun and slaughtered on the counter.

11 minutes ago, Donkey Derby said:

Not even as reliable as Nixon - Recall James nusrsey tweeting in the January window that Lansbury and Rhodes were as good as done deals 

I think it was Tom Barclay from the Sun who said about Lansbury + Rhodes, unless James Nursey said the same

I'll also be relieved if we manage to avoid Whelan. As already mentioned, we need a bit more energy and pace in there if we are going to go for a DM. I really hope Rowett realizes that Thorne must play if fit (but after the Hughes sale I can't be sure of this). However we are all aware that it's highly likely that Thorne will get injured as some stage and cover for his position is probably essential anyway. 

Out of the two, and based purely from what I've seen of both players, I think I'd prefer Ledley. Looked imminently comfortable at PL level and tidy on the ball. 

In all honesty would be happy with either however, a bit of defensive experience in midfield would be massively beneficial to our style of play, if we're setting up like we expect Rowett to. 

Archived