Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CumbrianRam said:

Can't remember two such depressing transfer stories

Well we either die of neck strain from all the filthy hoofball we're going to have to watch, or just end ourselves now.

3 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Can't remember two such depressing transfer stories

Just wait for..

"Derby County will step up their interest in Birmingham City's Clayton Donaldson once Chris Martin joins Wolverhampton Wanderers"

...or...

"After Tom Ince completed his move to Huddersfield Town today, Derby County are expected to confirm the signing of free-agent David Cotterill."

Whelan in CDM 

Johnson and someone else. 

I'm not sure regarding Thorney fitness so I'd give it a bit more time to get it rogt for Thorne. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Just wait for..

"Derby County will step up their interest in Birmingham City's Clayton Donaldson once Chris Martin joines Wolverhampton Wanderers"

...or...

"After Tom Ince completed his move to Huddersfield Town today, Derby County are expected to confirm the signing of free-agent David Cotterill."

Stop that I don't want to see this for real. In fact kill me now. 

Over the past few seasons I've lost count of how many times I've heard the following-

We never replaced Eustace

We don't have a CDM other than Thorne

We don't have enough consistancy

We lack a leader

Fair enough it might not be the signing we all want and coupled with the Hughes news the timing could be better but Whelan ticks all the above. 

If the signing was announced last week before any of the Hughes stuff the response would probably be better. But this is DCFC. Remember when CM left and we were trying to get a deal done before deadline, only for that deal to be Chris Weale. 

We are only the fans, in modern football we don't matter. 

2 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Whelan, a 9 year Prem vetran will be on more money than Will Hughes, I fully expect a three year contract too and will be considered deadwood by Jan.

I'd say same contract as Curtis Davies 2 years + 1 year option. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think we need to take this transfer in context. For a while now, we haven't had a CDM who allows the other 2/3 midfielders free rein to bomb forward and support the forwards. For too long we have had an anxious trio of players reluctant to play expansive football in case we lose possession.

We now have Chris Martin, David Nugent and Matej Vydra who can all lay the ball off.

Whelan could be just the man to lay the path for Watkins and Irvine or similar young attacking midfield players to get in the box for such lay offs.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we need to take this transfer in context. For a while now, we haven't had a CDM who allows the other 2/3 midfielders free rein to bomb forward and support the forwards. For too long we have had an anxious trio of players reluctant to play expansive football in case we lose possession.

We now have Chris Martin, David Nugent and Matej Vydra who can all lay the ball off.

Whelan could be just the man to lay the path for Watkins and Irvine or similar young attacking midfield players to get in the box for such lay offs.

I like your thinking and I hope you're right. Have a like!

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just wait for..

"Derby County will step up their interest in Birmingham City's Clayton Donaldson once Chris Martin joins Wolverhampton Wanderers"

...or...

What was the name of Closeau's gaffer?Dreyfuss?

Anyway you just made my eye twitch like his.

Good signing in my opinion . What other realistic defensive midfield targets are there out there ? Leadbitter ? Might be more costly though.

It's amazing what some people's perspective is of the types of players we should be signing. Mel gets a little loose with the purse strings and all of a sudden we should be in the premier league signing God knows who ! Get real . 

Whilst I think Whelan would be an okay signing, this, like Curtis Davies, goes against everything Rowett said he wanted to do with the squad. Can't keep signing old players on big wages, surely? Got to have a balance. Won't have a player under the age of 26 in the squad soon. 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just wait for..

...or...

Team for next year:

Wisdom Pearce Davies Forsyth

Whelan  Johnson

Cotterill           Irvine          Russell

Donaldson

I think I will take that bullet now please....

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Team for next year:

Whelan  Johnson

Donaldson

Please can any mention of Clayton Donaldson and Derby County in the same universe be banned!

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Team for next year:

Whelan  Johnson

Donaldson

Good team for 15th place

Archived