Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Eustace was a perfect player to fill in for thorne when he was out injured. When he left people called for a replacement that never came. Rowett has made it clear he sees Johnson as an attacker so signing Whelan would be perfect here correct?

Rather than seeing Whelan as the replacement for Hughes, I think it would be more apt to say Johnson is replacing the high attacking role that Hughes played, and Whelan would replace Johnson's defensive role

This would make sense but I still don't rate Whelan.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Eustace was a perfect player to fill in for thorne when he was out injured. When he left people called for a replacement that never came. Rowett has made it clear he sees Johnson as an attacker so signing Whelan would be perfect here correct?

Rather than seeing Whelan as the replacement for Hughes, I think it would be more apt to say Johnson is replacing the high attacking role that Hughes played, and Whelan would replace Johnson's defensive role

I don't think you're helping... :lol:

(You're right by the way ;))

7 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

This would make sense but I still don't rate Whelan.

Look at it in a different light, Thorne is expected to come in and be our playmaker this season, I dare say (and I do realise this is blasphemous at this time) Thorne has the potential to be an upgrade on Hughes in everyway. Any player brought in would be told that our George is going to be the main man so they will be limited to injury/loss of form appearances. 

No established upper championship/premier midfielder would join unless they were told they would be guaranteed appearances/high wages/high fee. That leaves two options, either an unknown lower league younger player, or an older established midfielder with plenty of experience. Whelan could easily command the captaincy in this club and is one of only two stoke players to remain at the club since the first came to the Prem. Staying at an established premier league club for so long speaks plenty in itself. Can't ask for much more in a back up to Thorne really

PistoldPete2

Thorne will not be fit anytime soon if at all. But do we really wAnt to increase the average age of this squad even more? 

We will be made up of over 30s plus wisdom. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good solid addition to the squad if true. Dyche said Joey Barton was vital to Burnley's promotion, Whelan can have a similar impact for us. 

Very good point.

Plus all this about age is getting silly.

McGrath and Cowan were at least the same age and they helped keep us in the top league.

This lad is a good premier league operator helping stoke establish themselves as a regular top flight team. 

4 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

If we do sign him, can we please delay an announcement I don't to have the thought that we replaced Hughes with a 33 year old Prem reject

On the bright side, his wage demands are now slightly lower knowing he can keep the winter fuel allowance, and the state pension triple lock.

38 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Thorne will not be fit anytime soon if at all. But do we really wAnt to increase the average age of this squad even more? 

We will be made up of over 30s plus wisdom. 

Where have you got that bit about Thorne from? As far as I was aware he and Forsyth will be starting pre season training a long with everyone else. He also has an additional fitness camp over the summer. Can't see why he won't be as fit as the rest of the squad now his injury has healed.

Archived