Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

PistoldPete2

I've heard Watford are after Hughes for 7 million. Double it and we might dart talking otherwise eff off.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally glad mr side ways pass is going although I thought we might sneak a bit more . Now if we can only get Keogh / Ince out the door as well Rowett will really start impressing me.

Pleased with what rowetts doing so far , making bold decisions and in my opinion getting em spot on .......well done lad.

Taking some balls to do it as well, as theres a lot of deluded wrist slashers around .If the players are really that good that a lot on here say they are then why the hell aint we gone up . Dose of realism needed !!.

We've done ourselves in here.

If we sell Hughes for 8 million we will look like the biggest ********* on the entire planet because I reckon he'll be worth way more than that by January.

Give him playing time in the PL with a good supporting cast and he'll look like he's worth 30 million because he is that good.

But keep him at Derby under Rowett and I think he'll continue to stagnate.

I don't think Rowett has a place for him or knows how to use him. If McClaren was still in charge I'd be confident about him flourishing next season but I don't know now. Might be worth even less next summer.

If we bring in players like Whelan while Hughes, Ince and Keogh leave just because yer ******* da reckons they're soft then a big part of what I love about Derby and this team will be gone.

Not as excited about next season now the reality of what we're doing this summer is setting in.

5 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Some of you need to have a cold shower. This is a 22 year old player that, let's be absolutely blunt, had a pretty mediocre season in a very mediocre division. I've not doubt that he'll excel in the Premier League and I'm sad if he is going but I'm not sure what people expect? It's over 2 years since Will really shone and there's a reason why the top clubs are not sniffing around....

Have a bit of a moan but some of the toy throwing is a bit silly - The club is in a good place if we can sell someone who wasn't always first choice last season for that sort of money.

If you think he has the quality to 'excel in the Premier League' then don't you think he also has the quality to get us there?  It's exactly because he is a genuine talent that we should be trying desperately to keep him.

Just now, NottsRammy said:

Totally glad mr side ways pass is going although I thought we might sneak a bit more . Now if we can only get Keogh / Ince out the door as well Rowett will really start impressing me.

Pleased with what rowetts doing so far , making bold decisions and in my opinion getting em spot on .......well done lad.

Taking some balls to do it as well, as theres a lot of deluded wrist slashers around .If the players are really that good that a lot on here say they are then why the hell aint we gone up . Dose of realism needed !!.

Dose of realism? You must be wumming, right? This post is satire? 

If you're being genuine, you want us to get rid of our top scorer, our best defender, and our best midfielder, that's not a bold decision, that is suicide.

Think you need the dose of realism.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Thats exactly why my toys are well and truly out the pram. 

He'd excel for us in the prem if we played to his strengths.

Far be from me to state the bleeding obvious, but we're not are we and if he isn't going to play a key role in getting us there then it's good money. It is sad though, I'd love him to have been our Gerard but it's not to be....

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm not an engineer, but if i were going to rebuild something, I'd like keep the best parts of the original structure and work from there, rather than ripping out what's most valuable and selling it off on the cheap.  . 

If we keep our best players, like Hughes and Ince, given the purchases we have already made, we are just 1, or possibly 2, more signings away from having an exceptional squad with which to challenge for promotion for next season. Why destroy that by practically giving away our most talented player?

I find the equanimity that some Derby fans have in the face of this debacle simply astonishing.

It takes three parties to make a transfer, two clubs and a player

Will must have looked around the under 21 bench and at the players on the pitch and thought I'm good enough to be on there; I want to play in three World cups and I'm getting a message from the hierarchy: play in the PL or you don't play for the national side. 

After one season out, followed by a mediocre season, not all of which was his fault, but some was, his value has fallen. So have the level of clubs willing to take a chance on him. 

I will be sad to see him go but players come and players go sometimes for the betterment of team and results. Always have done and will do. It's not equanimity it's the circle of football life and it might be the making of Watford, Will's career and Derby. 

2 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

I wonder what the correlation of those who voted for brexit and have such views are.

The only explanation that gets Rowett off the hook here is Will furiously demanding a transfer from the day he'd arrived. That would explain the lack of interest from him in our brightest and best footballer, his benching and subsequent poxy sale price.

Even with that, Rowett has done himself no favours and if it's just Rowett wanting to change things or not seeing how good Will is, then GR will start 17-18 with zero or negative good will (pun intended) unless we take the league by storm beginning at Sunderland away. 

GR has basically put his own job security in danger with this move because he's poisoning his fan support by removing the one player that they adore, who makes them want to come to the matches. The leash has been shortened dramatically. 

And yes, It does smack of pearson-esque arrogance.

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm not an engineer, but if i were going to rebuild something, I'd like keep the best parts of the original structure and work from there, rather than ripping out what's most valuable and selling it off on the cheap.  . 

If we keep our best players, like Hughes and Ince, given the purchases we have already made, we are just 1, or possibly 2, more signings away from having an exceptional squad with which to challenge for promotion for next season. Why destroy that by practically giving away our most talented player?

I find the equanimity that some Derby fans have in the face of this debacle simply astonishing.

The trouble is we aren't just one or two signings away from being promoted, it's that thinking that's seen us fail in recent years, this ain't the playoff year anymore we need to rebuild. Don't take it that I'm not annoyed at this, players like Hughes and ince are incredible players who I'll be bitterly dissapointed to see depart, but a rebuild can't happen without funds and they're two of only a few of our players actually worth anything! 

Were in a complete mess due to our poor recruitment in recent years, and it's this that's left us in the situation we're in, having to raise funds to rebuild the team that's been so poorly put together over time, but we have no choice. Blame blockhead for this mess, blame clement, blame rush, blame Morris whatever, were still in a situation where we ain't good enough to go up with a rebuild. 

8 million seems derisory to me as well, but Mel isn't a fool, if we could get more he'd hold out for more, clearly Hughes isn't as highly regarded elsewhere as he is here...

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

It takes three parties to make a transfer, two clubs and a player

Yes, and you'd expect Watford to be keen and I would understand fully Will's desire to play in the Premier League. However the third party to the putative deal is Derby and it's our club's perspective on the deal which is what is most relevant here. It's my opinion that selling Hughes for £8m, would be a tragically bad and short-sighted decision.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Dose of realism? You must be wumming, right? This post is satire? 

If you're being genuine, you want us to get rid of our top scorer, our best defender, and our best midfielder, that's not a bold decision, that is suicide.

Think you need the dose of realism.

Called him mr sideway pass? Oh dear.. You're spot on last bit of your post. 

If this goes through it will be a crying shame... although I have thought for a while Will needs to be playing in the PL I didn't think it would be for Watford and I didn't think it would be for £8m.  Hopefully, he will impress in that division for a season and get a move to a proper club.  

To be honest, £8m for the player of the last two seasons (injuries and being messed about notwithstanding) probably isn't a ridiculous fee. £8m for the player I think he is and think he will be is pretty derisory.  

This isnt quite losing Huddlestone for a bag of penny chews, but will feel not far off.

18 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Think it's YOU need dose of realism. Now you want another player (who SCORED 15, 14 in the LEAGUE and 1 in the cup) gone? Wow just wow. 

There are lots of REASONS why we didn't get promoted not just W.H TM and RK. We had few players injured and got no one to cover these areas and also things didn't go our way in some games. 

When on hols i watched the Leicester game on Fox TV -Stewart Robson was the pundit and discussed Hughes-He said many premier clubs had looked at him but all were put off by his lack of pace and non were willing to take a chance -assume this is why price is low-no competition and Will obviously wants to step up 

Archived