Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because we don't want Derby to be turned into Birmingham City 2.0 and have to crane our necks all game as the ball is hoofed repeatedly into the air? 

Hughes is not a 'pass it sideways' midfielder at all, and you know it. Hughes has the best range of passing at the club. By far. 

We also might sign another Jacob Butterfield. Which leaves us, replacing a home grown talent, who cares for the club, for a mercenary, who doesn't give a **** and is on big money. 

I can see his point. 

Hughes doesn't care any more about the club than Butterfield does, that's just a load of nonsense. Hughes wasn't even a Derby fan growing up ffs, he supported Liverpool. You may criticise him but don't forget that being a footballer is a job, like any normal job. Would you be a mercenary if you were paid more in your job?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Its not an attacking midfielders job to score goals? I don't think asking 5-10 goals from a midfielder of his ability is asking a lot. He's averaged 1 in 16.

If you want out of this league midfielders have to contribute. 

A players' job to do whatever he's in the team for. 

His job is to make things tick.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I've seen a lot of criticism of Butterfield recently. Yes he was poor in spells last season but Hughes hasn't played any better than him in the last few seasons. Butterfield can do everything that Hughes can do(maybe at a lower standard) but the key difference is that Butterfield is a bigger goalthreat(last season the anomoly). 

Butterfield got criticised for passing sideways and slowing it down but Hughes was guilty of this too but was seemingly let off because he is 'one of our own.' 

All well and good but many who don't share your view wouldn't see a need to sell either player.

I'm one of them.

Just now, cannable said:

Think you're going a bit too far with the praise and too criticle of Butters here. 

I actually didn't criticise Butterfield, he is overpriced however, and not of good enough quality to compete at the top. 

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Jack it in then. 

Stuff likes this gets my back up. Do you support Will Hughes or Derby County?

Jacking it in cos we are selling a midfielder for 8 million. 

We might sign a midfielder who scores 10 goals next season. That gets me off my seat more than watching a nice footballer pass it sideways. Plus those 10 goals could make a difference to our league position. 

Can't for the life of me figure out how us selling Will Hughes could want a fan to stop watching the club they support. 

I explained it my post Mackworth.

The only thing that keeps me going is the crack and to see a bit of class. A Will Hughes drag back and turn can make an afternoon out worth it. Selling him for a Vydra, who has been anonymous with flashes of adequate, makes me sick.

Selling him at all when he's under contract, hasn't asked for a transfer and we've got a wealthy owner annoys the hell out of me, but I could understand if it was an offer you couldn't refuse. It would have to be a significant club record incoming fee for me to swallow it with equanimity.

If my attitude gets your back up, tough. 

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Jack it in then. 

Stuff likes this gets my back up. Do you support Will Hughes or Derby County?

Jacking it in cos we are selling a midfielder for 8 million. 

We might sign a midfielder who scores 10 goals next season. That gets me off my seat more than watching a nice footballer pass it sideways. Plus those 10 goals could make a difference to our league position. 

Can't for the life of me figure out how us selling Will Hughes could want a fan to stop watching the club they support. 

So because Rowett has managed Birmingham automatically mean we are going to play like them? 

Even if we do. Is it bad? He got a very average squad on the brink of the play offs playing that way. Including smashing us 3-0 on our own patch. 

We have a much better squad than Birmingham. So if we do play that way. Where could we end up? 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Because we don't want Derby to be turned into Birmingham City 2.0 and have to crane our necks all game as the ball is hoofed repeatedly into the air? 

Hughes is not a 'pass it sideways' midfielder at all, and you know it. Hughes has the best range of passing at the club. By far. 

We also might sign another Jacob Butterfield. Which leaves us, replacing a home grown talent, who cares for the club, for a mercenary, who doesn't give a **** and is on big money. 

I can see his point. 

Whose to say Hughes gives a damn? maybe he's wanting out, we don't know these things. It's irritating to see the reaction to the potential Hughes sale, as at times the result is being sacrificed to let Hughes play his style. The issue over the last season was that Hughes never seemed a perfect fit in any position. At DM he was wasted, but he didn't have the shooting ability nor the pace to play behind the striker. 

As far as passing goes, the majority of this squad have shown they have an eye for a pass. Johnson and Butters have both shown that ability while bringing more to this team also. The fact we got a good deal more for Hendrick shows that Prem clubs value more than just fancy play, something Derby appear to be adopting too

PistoldPete2
14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

People were raving about Rowett when he came in and were telling Mel to keep out of footballing matters and leave GR to do his job, If this is Rowetts decision, we have to trust him to do what he thinks is right for the team he is trying to build. Most of us think the fee is low, but if other clubs are looking on and are not interested in putting in a higher offer than Watford, then that is what he is worth. Good luck to the lad if he does move on.

If there's any truth in the will hughes rumour I can't begin to understand what could be going through rowett's head. Except if he's going for the Nigel Pearson bellend of the year award. At least Pearson only loaned our best player out, and now we've got him back again. 

Mel said he was p1ssed off that martin went out on loan. What he would feel if we gave hughes away I can't imagine. Selling the Crown Jewels for just a few bob is a sackable offence... Breach of fiduciary duty if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Its not an attacking midfielders job to score goals? I don't think asking 5-10 goals from a midfielder of his ability is asking a lot. He's averaged 1 in 16.

A players' job to do whatever he's in the team for. 

His job is to make things tick.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Hughes doesn't care any more about the club than Butterfield does, that's just a load of nonsense. Hughes wasn't even a Derby fan growing up ffs, he supported Liverpool. You may criticise him but don't forget that being a footballer is a job, like any normal job. Would you be a mercenary if you were paid more in your job?

You think after spending this many years here, Hughes doesn't give a **** about the club? He might not have supported us, so what, I'm sure after spending years at Derby he must care about the club. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. No. It wasn't a criticism of Butterfield. It was a criticism of the clubs transfer policy over the past few seasons, which has been broken. 

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Whose to say Hughes gives a damn? maybe he's wanting out, we don't know these things. It's irritating to see the reaction to the potential Hughes sale, as at times the result is being sacrificed to let Hughes play his style. The issue over the last season was that Hughes never seemed a perfect fit in any position. At DM he was wasted, but he didn't have the shooting ability nor the pace to play behind the striker. 

As far as passing goes, the majority of this squad have shown they have an eye for a pass. Johnson and Butters have both shown that ability while bringing more to this team also. The fact we got a good deal more for Hendrick shows that Prem clubs value more than just fancy play, something Derby appear to be adopting too

To say Butterfield and Johnson 'bring more to the team' is frankly just untrue. What does Butterfield bring to the team that isn't brought by Hughes? Wasn't there a stat for the first part of last season at Hughes being Derby's best tackler? Johnson has more aerial threat, that's it. Hughes also has more discipline than Johnson. The idea of Hughes just being a pretty footballer is the same as the idea of Ince having a bad attitude, just straight up wrong.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

All well and good but many who don't share your view wouldn't see a need to sell either player.

I'm one of them.

I'm not really keen on selling him either but if the manager sees the need to sell, we should get behind him rather than people throwing their toys out of their pram.

Also fed up of reading people's views on Hughes like he was some Godly figure whilst at the same opportunity criticising our other recent signings like Butterfield and Johnson, yes he is a talent but it isn't the end of the world if we did sell.

PistoldPete2
6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Are you serious? Are you trying to imply hughes doesn't contribute? Do you actually watch any football? Or do you just look at who scored.com or whatever? 

I see Mr Expert chatting so **** about Hughesy don't care about the club. Sorry you're wrong on that one. 

Unbelievable. 

PistoldPete2
6 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

What are you gong on about??

Sorry I can't stop thinking about dong.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You think after spending this many years here, Hughes doesn't give a **** about the club? He might not have supported us, so what, I'm sure after spending years at Derby he must care about the club. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. No. It wasn't a criticism of Butterfield. It was a criticism of the clubs transfer policy over the past few seasons, which has been broken. 

Read again, I didn't say that Hughes doesn't give the **** but the notion that x player cares more about the club more than y just because he came through the academy is nonsense in my opinion. He may be grateful to the club for his opportunity but that doesn't mean he cares more about the club than others. 

If you came through Nottingham Forest's academy, would you care about their club?

Of course it's not the end of the world. Life goes on. The club goes on.

You can sell Hughes, sell Ince, sell Rammie, sell the tea lady, we move on.

But I find it hard to believe £8 milllion is the extent of Hughes's worth to this football club or the extent to which a club is willing to pay in this market.

In theory, it's an excellent deal for a League 1 club who are operating with a much smaller budget.

But to a top Championship club like ourselves, it barely makes a ripple in the water, especially not when you factor in the current market.

It's not selling him which is the issue, but if you are going to sell him, get the best possible price you can or walk away from the deal.

We are not doing that.

Archived