Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

Just now, Redcar said:

I can't see Will getting on the side anyway.... IF..... as and when Thorne is back, Johnson pushes up the field in front along side another like Whelan or existing player like Bryson. Just worry about the creativity in front of Thorne if that's the case as can't see Butters offering it. Will is decent for sure but watching him involved in some matches last season he never looked interested, had his head elsewhere etc. It's a loss for sure but not the end of the world for me.

If our midfield on opening day is Thorne, Johnson and Whelan then there really are problems. 

Cpuld have Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front but it'd be no good with no one to pass to them.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If our midfield on opening day is Thorne, Johnson and Whelan then there really are problems. 

Cpuld have Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front but it'd be no good with no one to pass to them.

That's what I meant about creativity.... those 3 won't offer it but can't see Butters doing it in the middle either..... we need someone like..... Will Hughes from Watford.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Out the country for a couple of weeks with no web access. I log on to see there are credible reports (Sky, Daily Mail, etc) that we're selling the second youngest England U21 midfielder in history, with a long string of caps, and surely the most skillful ball-playing midfielder in the Championship for a fee that might rise to £8m. He's on a long contract too.

If it's time for Will, who we all love and is one of our own, to move on, I'd have wanted £25m rising to £35m, but might have accepted £20m rising to £30m. A player of his ability only comes through the academy once every couple of generations. We got £10m for Hendrick who is a quarter of the player.

Hughes' vision and intelligence and oh so fast feet and ability to go an entire game without misplacing a pass (that he's already spotted long before the ball came to him) are what makes watching football worthwhile. Strong in the tackle and the one player in the squad always trying to get us on the front foot.

Needless to say, if there's any credibility in these reports, I and I'd expect most fans to be bitterly disappointed and question the club's judgement.

Spot on Sir. His craft is what makes me turn up and watch. Very few other players have given those moments of magic that to the unattentive eye go unnoticed, I cannot recall any other Derby-shirted player with the deftness of touch and speed of thought that Hughes has; 

6 minutes ago, Redcar said:

That's what I meant about creativity.... those 3 won't offer it but can't see Butters doing it in the middle either..... we need someone like..... Will Hughes from Watford.

Would be a fantastic signing, how much do you reckon he'd cost?

If Vydra was £8m from them we must be looking at more than that?

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Just came back on to see this, think a bit of realism is required. This ain't a sale because rowett doesn't like him, this is down to the fact we need to conduct a rebuild and most therefore sell out more valuable players to bring in funds to conduct this. Of course the main point here is how we reached the situation when this is nessercery, but That's a different conversation, we're here now and we'll have to accept it.

I'm not an engineer, but if i were going to rebuild something, I'd like keep the best parts of the original structure and work from there, rather than ripping out what's most valuable and selling it off on the cheap.  . 

If we keep our best players, like Hughes and Ince, given the purchases we have already made, we are just 1, or possibly 2, more signings away from having an exceptional squad with which to challenge for promotion for next season. Why destroy that by practically giving away our most talented player?

I find the equanimity that some Derby fans have in the face of this debacle simply astonishing.

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Its not about stats or the amount of money for me. You build teams around players like Will Hughes.

Will should have been our Iniesta for the next 10 years,

It seems Rowett doesn't agree, we don't have to sell.

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

I'm not an engineer, but if i were going to rebuild something, I'd like keep the best parts of the original structure and work from there, rather than ripping out what's most valuable and selling it off on the cheap.  . 

And for all the talk about needing a rebuild because it hasn't worked etc - since George Thorne signed on loan 3.5 years ago, Thorne, Martin and Hughes have started only 8 games together. Only 3 of which have been in the last 3 years, including the game where Hughes got injured after 33 minutes.  We don't need a rebuild, we need to get proper cover for our key players, or some alternate way of playing if they aren't available, and actually use what we have already. Not bin it all and spend a load more money on a different set of players.

Some of you need to have a cold shower. This is a 22 year old player that, let's be absolutely blunt, had a pretty mediocre season in a very mediocre division. I've not doubt that he'll excel in the Premier League and I'm sad if he is going but I'm not sure what people expect? It's over 2 years since Will really shone and there's a reason why the top clubs are not sniffing around....

Have a bit of a moan but some of the toy throwing is a bit silly - The club is in a good place if we can sell someone who wasn't always first choice last season for that sort of money.

2 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Some of you need to have a cold shower. This is a 22 year old player that, let's be absolutely blunt, had a pretty mediocre season in a very mediocre division. I've not doubt that he'll excel in the Premier League and I'm sad if he is going but I'm not sure what people expect? It's over 2 years since Will really shone and there's a reason why the top clubs are not sniffing around....

Have a bit of a moan but some of the toy throwing is a bit silly - The club is in a good place if we can sell someone who wasn't always first choice last season for that sort of money.

Right o.

13 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its not about stats or the amount of money for me. You build teams around players like Will Hughes.

Will should have been our Iniesta for the next 10 years,

He should have been..... but itchy trigger fingers have flummoxed this from above. 

Look at the top. Not Mr Rowett who seems to be copping this. 

Archived