Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

None of us want to sell our better players. But they're the ones that are going to bring money in in order to shape the squad and balance the books. We're still paying the price for the bad 'clement' signings (as Sam rush was sacked I think he was the main instigator in bringing these players in rather than clement). If we hadn't bought butterfield, Camara , Weiman, Blackman etc we wouldn't have to sell players. We've made many mistakes in the transfer market and are now paying for it. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Whilst he has the potential to be a very good footballer, who is maybe better suited to the prem, he also hasn't performed on a consistent basis at all. I can't remember a time where I thought Hughes is playing really well at the minute. I can remember odd games where he was brilliant. Then we'd have say Wigan at home and he wouldn't turn up. I know other players didn't either. But for all his ability, he never grabs games by the scruff of the neck. 

Have to disagree with a lot of this I'm afraid MWR - At his worst Hughes looks better than most of our other midfielders

Yes - He only seems to have a blinder 1 game in 5 - But the other 4 games he's still a very solid championship CM

People were raving about Rowett when he came in and were telling Mel to keep out of footballing matters and leave GR to do his job, If this is Rowetts decision, we have to trust him to do what he thinks is right for the team he is trying to build. Most of us think the fee is low, but if other clubs are looking on and are not interested in putting in a higher offer than Watford, then that is what he is worth. Good luck to the lad if he does move on.

I'm very, very, nearly through with football. I couldn't give less of a **** about England, Prem, Euro's or any of it except Derby, and the only thing that keeps me watching Derby is the crack and the few bits that get me off my seat that come from players like Will.

Right at this second I could go the full drama queen and jack it in.

Will Hughes has not developed into the player we all thought he would be. He has quality no doubt about that but i could never see him playing in a 442. He always has to play in a 3 man midfield. But even then...his goal ratio is very average and his assists are not great. Great touch and passes well but is there the killer in him? Im not surprised that Rowett is allowing the sale tbh. Good Luck to Will if he eventually goes. Not the end of the world tho.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Have to disagree with a lot of this I'm afraid MWR - At his worst Hughes looks better than most of our other midfielders

Yes - He only seems to have a blinder 1 game in 5 - But the other 4 games he's still a very solid championship CM

I get your point mate. Not everyone will agree with what I say. Just my opinion. 

None of our midfield has performed last season you are right. I think it's cos when Hughes is on it he's fantastic. He has more technical ability than our other midfielders which is why he should be showing a lot more. 

Thing is we all want Rowett to have full control. Buy who he wants and sell who he wants. He is doing. We can't have it both ways. 

I think Ince & Christie are next. 

1 minute ago, needles said:

I'm very, very, nearly through with football. I couldn't give less of a **** about England, Prem, Euro's or any of it except Derby, and the only thing that keeps me watching Derby is the crack and the few bits that get me off my seat that come from players like Will.

A subscription to Sky for the NFL is looking pretty tempting right now - Except that my team is the New York Jets and they're just about as terrible as Derby are :D

I can understand why other teams dont rate him as highly as we do. He doesn't really have one outstanding attribute, he doesn't score, he doesn't assist, he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck. Hughes plays well when the team played well and when it clicked, it really looked pleasant on the eye but he isn't the type of player to inspire the team if they are on the back foot.

One thing that sticks out to me regarding Hughes is that after he got injured, he should have trained a lot more on bulking up and training his legs. He looked like he filled out a bit when he came back but then went back to his original build. It wouldn't have affected his game negatively because he isn't fast but it would have made him a much better prospect in the team.

He also doesn't seem the type of player to want to go the extra mile, I may be completely wrong but both Simmo and McClaren said that Hughes took training too lightly, maybe that's another factor why he hasn't always been a regular.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

I agree with you. I only bother with Derby (watch, listen, follow and read) and nowt else.

People saying GR is the best manager we have had need a reality check. @RamsPolls needs his twitter privileges revoked for being naughty. William is the best natural talent at the club and the sort we need to build a team around. Not sell for less than ******* Vydra.

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Totally glad mr side ways pass is going although I thought we might sneak a bit more . Now if we can only get Keogh / Ince out the door as well Rowett will really start impressing me.

Pleased with what rowetts doing so far , making bold decisions and in my opinion getting em spot on .......well done lad.

Taking some balls to do it as well, as theres a lot of deluded wrist slashers around .If the players are really that good that a lot on here say they are then why the hell aint we gone up . Dose of realism needed !!.

Are you on drugs? 

2 minutes ago, needles said:

Jack it in then. 

Stuff likes this gets my back up. Do you support Will Hughes or Derby County?

Jacking it in cos we are selling a midfielder for 8 million. 

We might sign a midfielder who scores 10 goals next season. That gets me off my seat more than watching a nice footballer pass it sideways. Plus those 10 goals could make a difference to our league position. 

Can't for the life of me figure out how us selling Will Hughes could want a fan to stop watching the club they support. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Jack it in then. 

We might sign a midfielder who scores 10 goals next season. That gets me off my seat more than watching a nice footballer pass it sideways. Plus those 10 goals could make a difference to our league position. 

Can't for the life of me figure out how us selling Will Hughes could want a fan to stop watching the club they support. 

Will is not a striker. That's not his role in the team.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Jack it in then. 

Because we don't want Derby to be turned into Birmingham City 2.0 and have to crane our necks all game as the ball is hoofed repeatedly into the air? 

Hughes is not a 'pass it sideways' midfielder at all, and you know it. Hughes has the best range of passing at the club. By far. 

We also might sign another Jacob Butterfield. Which leaves us, replacing a home grown talent, who cares for the club, for a mercenary, who doesn't give a **** and is on big money. 

I can see his point. 

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, David said:

RESTRICTED-A8HFK2-PEANUTS-xlarge_trans_N

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Unless the monkeys are dong the selling.

I've seen a lot of criticism of Butterfield recently. Yes he was poor in spells last season but Hughes hasn't played any better than him in the last few seasons. Butterfield can do everything that Hughes can do(maybe at a lower standard) but the key difference is that Butterfield is a bigger goalthreat(last season the anomoly). 

Butterfield got criticised for passing sideways and slowing it down but Hughes was guilty of this too but was seemingly let off because he is 'one of our own.' 

2 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Will is not a striker. That's not his role in the team.

Its not an attacking midfielders job to score goals? I don't think asking 5-10 goals from a midfielder of his ability is asking a lot. He's averaged 1 in 16.

If you want out of this league midfielders have to contribute. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hughes has the best range of passing at the club. By far. 

We also might sign another Jacob Butterfield. Which leaves us, replacing a home grown talent, who cares for the club, for a mercenary, who doesn't give a **** and is on big money. 

Think you're going a bit too far with the praise and too criticle of Butters here. 

Just now, McLovin said:

I've seen a lot of criticism of Butterfield recently. Yes he was poor in spells last season but Hughes hasn't played any better than him in the last few seasons. Butterfield can do everything that Hughes can do(maybe at a lower standard) but the key difference is that Butterfield is a bigger goalthreat(last season the anomoly). 

Butterfield got criticised for passing sideways and slowing it down but Hughes was guilty of this too but was seemingly let off because he is 'one of our own.' 

Hughes gets away with a lot cos he's one of our own. 

Hughes isn't from Derby. Doesn't support Derby either. 

He's the same as Hendrick was. Came through the academy.

We want the "bottle jobs" gone. Well he's one of them. 

Archived