Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'm staggered. I suspect John Percy is right and that a deal is close but £8 million for such a talented guy is shocking in my view when Jordan Pickford has just gone for £30 million. If that is the fee, Derby County are being mugged. By bloody Watford! 

I wouldn't sell Hughes full stop.

If I had no choice, I would want £15 million. Last year we signed Vydra for £8 million and even Anya cost us £4m. Butterfield who isn't a shade on Will Hughes cost us £4.5m. 

Those Derby fans saying he had a poor season last year and it's time for Will to move on must think talented young English footballers grow on trees. I'm stupified. :mellow:

I feel your pain and it's frustrating that a year ago we would have got £15m.

However I suspect he wants away and we have to take what others will pay.Let's see how we use the money.

We will be a different Derby this season that's for sure.

Whether that is a better Derby remains to be seen.

I am certainly hoping  so.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'm staggered. I suspect John Percy is right and that a deal is close but £8 million for such a talented guy is shocking in my view when Jordan Pickford has just gone for £30 million. If that is the fee, Derby County are being mugged. By bloody Watford! 

I wouldn't sell Hughes full stop.

If I had no choice, I would want £15 million. Last year we signed Vydra for £8 million and even Anya cost us £4m. Butterfield who isn't a shade on Will Hughes cost us £4.5m. 

Those Derby fans saying he had a poor season last year and it's time for Will to move on must think talented young English footballers grow on trees. I'm stupefied. :mellow:

Can't possibly compare the two. Pickford has achieved precious little, but is still more than our William.

I can accept and understand the arguments for both sides.  But a penny for my thoughts. The chop and change in managers has not helped any of our players including Will.  In an inflated market 8m sounds a lot but in reality gets us nothing close to the quality of Hughes. He's the glue that can bind the team together, including stamping a style of play we should aspire to.

For that money I'd rather keep him (including Ince), as over a long season I think both will shine given games. We've seen what 8m can buy us when spent badly. Let's not see what 8m costs us by selling prematurely and unnecessarily.  

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

By defintion aren't the deadwood the players that can't be shifted?

If we can't go All The Way and get rid of them I'm sure we'd be able to get them out on loan. 

If we can't shift them we're still going to have too big a squad, just with different better players. Unless the current 'bad' players fit into Rowett's plans. 

We all know we need a rebuild but I suppose there are two ways to go about it; a hard rebuild or a soft rebuild. 

Build around the better players or move them on and mould a totally new team that my revitalise some of the current deadwoods Derby careers. 

This is either going to go Billy or Pearson.

1 minute ago, Obi1Kenobi0 said:

For that money I'd rather keep him (including Ince), as over a long season I think both will shine given games. We've seen what 8m can buy us when spent badly. Let's not see what 8m costs us by selling prematurely and unnecessarily.  

Agree in principle - However I don't think anyone is saying £8m is a great deal - Just that there's a fairly good chance he wants to leave now (4 seasons with no promotion) and we need to get as much as possible for him - In a market where he's not bringing as much interest as he once was

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Can't possibly compare the two. Pickford has achieved precious little, but is still more than our William.

Delle Ali was £5m?

Do I want him to go? No, definitely not!

Do I think he should go? Yes, for his own development and particularly if he's unlikely to figure regularly in Rowetts' starting eleven - never been able to understand why beautiful works of art are locked away in bank vaults. You either have them on display to drool over or if they begin to lose theiir appeal, you sell.

Is Watford the right sort of club for Will? Could be under their new manager but there again, Watford change managers more often than we do. Playing style-wise, he would suit a side like Swansea or even Everton.

Is the fee acceptable given his record over the last 2 seasons. Possibly - injuries, loss of form, no clear, consistent playing role because of the manager's revolving door. However, his current value is maybe as low as it's likely to be for the next 7 or 8 years and selling at the bottom of the market doesn't make sense unless you're really desperate for the cash. I think around £12m would be a fair fee in todays' market.

What should we do with the £8m? We have a manager who appears, for now at least, to have the confidence of the owner (but there again, where have we heard that before?) and I get the feeling he will be given a couple of seasons to turn the giant oil tanker that is Derby County around. That amount of money can buy you 3 or 4 squad players (heaven forbid we have enough of them) or alternatively, a couple of good though not obviously stellar signings for key positions where we currently have weaknesses - players who can add another 10% to the effectiveness of the first XI and make that difference.

But - Gary / Mel  -  please, please, please DON'T SPUNK THE MONEY!

16 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Is this really true? If Will comes out and says he never wanted to leave, then yes. But I think it will have been agreed with him for a long time that when he's ready to go, we won't stand in his way. That's why he's stayed here so long.

If Will wants to leave, there's a definite need to sell. After all, what's he got to stay for? Rowett to get the sack in November and McClaren to return for third time lucky? It ain't 13/14 anymore, we're not a good club to develop your talent these days. 

The club are quite delusional if they think we can sell Hughes for £8 million and such a deal can stand up to scrutiny.

Although we might have aspirations to be, we are not Southampton and we still have some way to go to reach that level.

It's not as though Hughes is one from a long line of talents we have produced over the years. There is no conveyor belt. There is no clear pathway to the first team. There are no emerging talents. We can't just turn our attention from nurturing a Walcott to nurturing an Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Hughes is the best player we have produced in over a decade. I can think of five players we have produced who have cut the mustard in 20 years.

Just five. In total.

I understand that Hughes may want to go and may want to test himself at a higher level and too right we shouldn't stand in his way.

But there is one thing not standing in a player's way, it's another thing seemingly just rolling over and letting a player go without fighting for a deal that is in the club's best interests.

Odds are that it could be another 5 years before we produce another player of Will's quality.

So unless there is financial pressure, this deal does not make any sense whatsoever.

If Hughes goes for £8 million then hands down it'll be the worst transfer business we've done in my life time, absolutely destroying the previous Huddlestone, Rasiak and more recently, Martin debacles. He's worth nearly triple that and even if he does want to go, we should be able to get much, much more like we did for Hendrick. 

I'd love for us to dip into the foreign market to replace Hughes, it worked so well for the likes of Huddersfield. People might point to the likes of Camara and Albentosa but we got a profit on Albentosa and are rumoured to also make a profit on Camara. There are definitely bargains out there, Dahoud moved to Dortmund for only 10 million, despite being twice the player that Hughes is. The English market is completely messed up, the European market is the way to go.

I think it makes perfect sense. For DCFC and Will.

He`s not really played to the level that we know he can for 2 1/2 years now, although I admit that almost 12 months of that he was injured, and lets be honest, he`s hardly been the same since his injury.

He`s a very intelligent player but he struggles to adapt to any system other than being in a midfield 3 and it seems that the writing was on the wall as soon as GR came in as he hardly chose him despite him being fit and available.

Hes not really progressed as we would have hoped in the last few years (although the constant changing of manager wont have helped) and he doesnt impose himself enough on games anymore, doesnt score enough and doesnt directly assist enough.

I`d say an initial £8 million rising to 10 and a 20% sell on clause would be about right.

I am been a fan of Will since I first saw him play i told everybody he would one day play for England(I still think so)But today I am full of mixed feelings.For me he would have been the last player we sold.But in retrospect I think back to when I last saw him have a great game and its been awhile unfortunately and Im not arrogant enough to pretend I know more than GR although I suppose the fee is a lot lower than I would have expected .If selling him was to improve the squad who are we going to get for that money??

Lets hope we manage to squeeze another couple of million out the the deal But lets all remember THE FUTURES BRIGHT THE FUTURES rOWETT

Archived