Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Currently he's one of our best players, potentially he's by miles our best player. That's probably why premier league clubs are sniffing around him and he's currently on international duty.

GR is probably the best manager we have had in recent years and if he believes it is in our interests, I for one will support his decision. Sad, but we have to change to progress....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Currently he's one of our best players, potentially he's by miles our best player. That's probably why premier league clubs are sniffing around him and he's currently on international duty.

If Hughes was so great then a top 6 club would have signed him years ago or at least have taken a risk on him because they have enough money. He's a talent but let's not get carried away, he was kept out of the team by Bryson,Butterfield and Johnson at the end of last season.

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Exactly!! Will's been a good player for us! Fans need to decide what they want , everyone crying out for mass changes at the end of the season "we need changes" etc etc ... yet when them changes are not suited to them or what they think they know is best Rowett needs sacking ! Let's trust in our manager. We finished 9th last year !

Absolutely!

We've finished 8th, 5th & 9th these last 3 seasons, that's not all down to bad luck and is nowhere near where people hoped/expected we'd finish.

We've spent the majority of last season listening to people moaning about the team "having no steel" & "having no bottle" and demanding things change, and now the change is happening these same people are moaning about the change!!

It's ridonkulous.

1 minute ago, RedSox said:

GR is probably the best manager we have had in recent years and if he believes it is in our interests, I for one will support his decision. Sad, but we have to change to progress....

What on earth has Rowett done to justify that sort of accolade? :blink:

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are we selling a midfielder or folding? Bloomin 'eck. 

Most people are very happy with the signings we've made and have praised the management and club as a whole for those bits of business.

Maybe we also need to think that the same management are being equally as shrewd in the selling of our players.

We all knew that players would be leaving and Mr Rowett had mentioned that the first team needs to be adjusted, freshened up.......which ever football saying is relevant.

If part of that is the club believe selling Hughes for £8,000,000 is in out best interests then we need to trust that belief.

Its double what got quoted as the figure Brighton were prepared to pay.

I'm not criticizing the decision to let him go, I don't think anyone is. People are livid because the fee is disgracefully low and we've essentially bent over for Watford if this number is true. For an English player, with his ability, his potential, with international experience and with a long contract to his name, £8 million is an absolute disgrace. Three amigo's level disgrace.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Hughes was so great then a top 6 club would have signed him years ago or at least have taken a risk on him because they have enough money. He's a talent but let's not get carried away, he was kept out of the team by Bryson,Butterfield and Johnson at the end of last season.

And a top 10 club would be signing him now at the reported £8m!!!!!!!!!!

As it is, he's going to (ahem) Watford.

I'm glad you've managed to work that out after a grand total of 9 games.

I've probably said it before but this is a make or break season for Will.  I agree with above that he is our best player but just hasn't shown it last season, other than forest at home perhaps. 

The key is whether GR thinks so and whether Will can find a role which suits him and the gaffer. 

If we go up , he stays; if we don't, time for him to move on with our blessing and best wishes. 

3 assists for the whole season, best stat was tackling. "Our most creative player", no I don't think so at all. People are getting carried away. Thorne was a revelation, we've missed him big time. Hughes' inclusion in the side has made little difference to results either way.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Have you forgotten how good he was before his injury against Leicester or are you just choosing to ignore it?

Anyway I have no issue with him going, he doesn't look like a Rowett fit. What I do have an issue with his the embarrassingly low fee. We need some backbone as a club and need to start rejecting these awful offers or we're going to be viewed as a club that you can just nick good players off on the cheap. We're already viewed as that judging from the offers for Ince and Hughes initially.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm glad you've managed to work that out after a grand total of 9 games.

He's managed for more than 9 games. just not at Derby.  If we are to progress, we need stability in our management and GR needs to be backed.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Only makes us weaker if Hughes was going to be on the pitch? There is no doubting Hughes' ability but he hasn't really shown that the past 2 seasons, if he had a worldie of a season last season we would be getting 15m+ minimum but the simple fact is that he hasn't done much for 2 seasons now, if he isn't going to feature this season under Rowett how much would he be worth next summer and would any prem clubs still be in for him?

I mean don't sell him- it would make us weaker

Just came back on to see this, think a bit of realism is required. This ain't a sale because rowett doesn't like him, this is down to the fact we need to conduct a rebuild and most therefore sell out more valuable players to bring in funds to conduct this. Of course the main point here is how we reached the situation when this is nessercery, but That's a different conversation, we're here now and we'll have to accept it.

I don't think for a second we would have accepted a bid if we didn't deem it enough for us to be able to both replace him and have some funds left for other transfers, so I guess we'll just have to accept that this is a sad indictment of where his devolpment went after such early promise.

Sadly I fear this won't be the only surprise departure this summer, but we'll have to trust that the funds will be reinvested well (I know that's asking a lot after recent years!) and we're better off for it, we need a rebuild and that's what's happening. I don't think for a second the likes of Hughes and ince won't be replaced, so we just have to trust the replacements are good enough and fit into what we're trying to achieve here.

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

3 assists for the whole season, best stat was tackling. "Our most creative player", no I don't think so at all. People are getting carried away. Thorne was a revelation, we've missed him big time. Hughes' inclusion in the side has made little difference to results either way.

Only Ince made more Key Passes that Hughes last season.  

I can't see Will getting in the side anyway.... IF..... as and when Thorne is back, Johnson pushes up the field in front along side another like Whelan or existing player like Bryson. Just worry about the creativity in front of Thorne if that's the case as can't see Butters offering it. Will is decent for sure but watching him involved in some matches last season he never looked interested, had his head elsewhere etc. It's a loss for sure but not the end of the world for me.

Archived