Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

He does ! He looks lost in a midfield 2 ! Never seen seems to know his role. 

The McClaren last ditch 4-2-4 had Hughes controlling, Bryson running.

He plays in a two for the U-21s.

He played in a two under Clough in a deeper role and looked his best.

He ran the show in a two in the Wolves Grant-howler, worst refereeing decision I've ever seen game from the other year.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

the only good thing would be to employ whoever is doing the deals at Watford as this would be the third time in 12 months they've had our pants down. They would be a cracking signing.

Almost made me laugh.

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

He does ! He looks lost in a midfield 2 ! Never seen seems to know his role. 

That's because when he's played in a 2 in the last season or so, the entire team has been utterly dysfunctional - Bryson holding, Shackell playing long balls up to Vydra and Wilson etc.  No one in the entire team looked like they knew their role.  

His first few seasons when he broke through under Clough, we played a balanced 442 with Hughes in the centre (and sometimes out on the left) and he was absolutely fine - because the team was set up properly and he knew what he was supposed to be doing.

16 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

We know how talented the lad is but how many times can anyone remember Will grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and controlling the game ? 

Grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and taking control is Wills forte.

This is a common criticism of players, that they don't "control games" but it's a team game for a reason, and I think it gets thrown around by people without any real thought towards what it means. The fact you've just accused Will Hughes of all people of going missing in games is proof of that. 

Just now, curtains said:

It's my opinion that's why I used the word suggest .

But why wouldn't he want immediate Premier League Football.

Rowett didn't preside over the calamitous last few years .

You don't know what Hughes wants anyway. 

20 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hughes is brilliant but there's a reason it's Watford who are set to sign him and not a top 6 club. 

Will has been a big part of this club for the best part of 6 years now and it will be gut wrenching to see him playing else where, but take away the emotional attachment to a player and the deal makes sense, for me at least. 

There's no place for this kind of logic round 'ere!

I agree with you, as Derby fans we have an over-inflated perception of Will's value, in the real world Will "has potential" that as yet has not been fulfilled.

Galling as it is, Watford is a decent move for him as it gives him the chance to showcase his talents on the big stage, and could then lead to a move on to a bigger club in a year or two.

I have no doubt that there will be a chunky sell on clause, as much as 25% of any future transfer, or 50% of any future transfer profit.

If he succeeds we'll get in the region of £13-£15m total (his reasonable value to many Derby fans) and if he fails then the £8m-£10m we're getting will have proved to be a reasonable fee after all.

Good luck Will.

Really. With a new long term deal agreed, and a bit of an overhaul this summer, the team should have been pretty much built around Will for next season

I hope there's a lot of clauses in there. He probably won't, but if he does play for England and secures a move later on for £20m + we should be getting a cut based on those. The fee may be fair given his recent form but it should also reflect his potential.

Probably not the popular opinion but if someone has to go to balance the books rather him than Ince.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I think it's to unfair to compare Pearson's decisions to this move. Pearson panicked and we overpaid massively. It's not Rowett's fault. 

I don't see the point in keeping a player who he doesn't like. If he isn't going to play on a consistent basis, then there's no point of him being here.

If Rowett is confident that he can use the circa 30k p.w in wages and 10m transfer fee elsewhere, which in turn would increase our chances of promotion, then I'll trust him until he's proven wrong. That's all I can do as a fan. Do I think the fee is low? Yeah. Can I understand why he is being sold for such a fee. Yeah. 

Suppose we'll have to see what sort of players we will use the transfer fee on. Whelan hardly gets me off my chair, I must say.

Sorry SDSR but why would you trust him? What has he done to deserve that trust? What happens if we sold Ince, Keogh and Hughes and we are bottom of the league in December? We sack him that's what, then we are left with a pile of crap on and off the field.

id be getting rid of at least 25 first teamers before Hughes and Ince were sold and building my team around those 2 class game changers.

1 minute ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I agree with you, as Derby fans we have an over-inflated perception of Will's value, in the real world Will "has potential" that as yet has not been fulfilled.

You know if he'd played less as a youngster, for a less desperate team, we'd be saying he's only just 22, he'll be coming into his best years. But no, the implication is he should be the real deal by now!

Just now, RamsPolls said:

I can't think of one game where Will Hughes has grabbed any game by the scruff of the neck and took control. 

Do we differ on our opinions of what that means? To me, it's the polar opposite to a Bradley Johnson or a Jeff Hendrick, who tend to shy away when the going gets tough. 

When Will is at his best, he is everywhere on the pitch, winning tackles, spraying passes, taking people on and creating chances.

What do you think that statement means? Give me an example of someone who does take the game by the scruff of the neck at this level, in the central midfield position? Maybe there's just a misunderstanding in our definitions

8 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

if however it's £8 mil which £4 of it is already taken as we owe Watford it still so in essence works out out at £4 mil total

No, it works out as £8 (plus add ons) total. Regardless of how it's spent, servicing debt on Vydra and Anya or otherwise, it's £8m plus add ons. 

10 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Jeez-us! He's only 22 - best years are still ahead of him. £8 million?! He's worth double that (considering we paid the same for Vydra). 

As the saying goes, "it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it". The fact that we were willing to pay £8m for Vydra has nothing to do with the value of Hughes. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I said I suggest he would want Premier League Football .

Yes with Derby County (Hughesy said it not me by the way) 

Just now, GadFly said:

As the saying goes, "it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it". The fact that we were willing to pay £8m for Vydra has nothing to do with the value of Hughes. 

It's pointing out that in the negotiating stakes we seem to be a little poor.

Archived