Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and taking control is Wills forte.

This is a common criticism of players, that they don't "control games" but it's a team game for a reason, and I think it gets thrown around by people without any real thought towards what it means. The fact you've just accused Will Hughes of all people of going missing in games is proof of that. 

He doesn't control games though. I don't want to start being anti Will and going to far the other way I'm just justifying reasons to sell him. The things I've stated in my original post are all true in my opinion.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RiddingsRam said:

He doesn't control games though. I don't want to start being anti Will and going to far the other way I'm just justifying reasons to sell him. The things I've stated in my original post are all true in my opinion.

We're a mid Championship team, the kind of midfielder you're talking about wouldn't be found here.

1 minute ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Yes with Derby County (Hughesy said it not me by the way) 

I want him to stay but I also think he has flaws in his game. 

Whatever happens will not be my decision but some players have to be moved on and Will is a sellable commodity as was Jeff Hendrick.

This is the price for years of failure to get promoted to the Premier League. 

6 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Do we differ on our opinions of what that means? To me, it's the polar opposite to a Bradley Johnson or a Jeff Hendrick, who tend to shy away when the going gets tough. 

When Will is at his best, he is everywhere on the pitch, winning tackles, spraying passes, taking people on and creating chances.

What do you think that statement means? Give me an example of someone who does take the game by the scruff of the neck at this level, in the central midfield position? Maybe there's just a misunderstanding in our definitions

I would argue that Johnson does those things better than Hughes. 

Johnson seemed to be the only player willing to make a tackle or even win a header in midfield last season. Hughes didn't offer much going forward last year or any defensive work. I'm not saying that he doesn't have it in him, because that lad could be world class one day. But in my opinion he has fallen off since his injury and hasn't progressed enough in the last 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Oh, for Christ's sake...

The problem is, a lot of people will be on GR's case if Hughes goes and the new signings don't gel straight away, it'll be the Big Nige scenario all over again.  The majority of our fans aren't known for being patient with managers, unless their surnames Clough...

I'm sure Derby fans will be happy with the trading that's gone on between the two clubs. They've given us £12m for two fringe players, we're getting their best young talent for £8m

By pog88 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 am on a Watford forum.

I keep hearing potential potential potential with Hughes. He is a talented player without a doubt but is he as good as people think he is?  I think it's a case of many wearing ram tinted goggles. If he was as good as many make out, he would have moved to a top 6 prem team years ago. Comparing him to other talents around his same age from other countries with similar roles and responsibilities not for me and he isn't as good.

I stated at the beginning of the year that for me, Hughes' ceiling is mid table premier league. You may agree or disagree but I see nothing from him that makes him particularly 'stand out'. Good player though.

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

The problem is, a lot of people will be on GR's case if Hughes goes and the new signings don't gel straight away, it'll be the Big Nige scenario all over again.  The majority of our fans aren't known for being patient with managers, unless their surnames Clough...

The majority of our chairman (note singular) has been rather impatient with managers - Unless we're blaming Sam Rush?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

By pog88 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 am on a Watford forum.

Sadly, he isn't even wrong. Awful, awful transfer dealings. We can use the money from the Hughes sale to buy more dross! (Overpriced dross though!)

Archived