Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What worries me is I don't want to see a Birmingham style team and getting rid of technical players worries me....I know it's all about opinion but I don't want to see us playing the percentages game ...it's dull it's boring....ask Boro....is it too much to try and emulate the mighty Bournemouth lol and try to play great football yet have a backbone ...I find this transfer if true worrying as Hughes has still got a lot left to offer ...unfortunately some of the dross we signed over the last two seasons...haven't!!! I do trust GR but just worry we'll not have the flair ...the way we played after mac got here with cloughs players and a few loans he brought in was fantastic to watch  and know it's probably not where we are going now...

TobyWanKenobi

It'd definitely be sad to see Will go, but I can understand the reasoning if it happens. It's a fair whack of money, which I hope a sizeable chunk of it is invested in the side, and Watford will be able to give Will the opportunity to compete in the Premier League, wheras at a Liverpool or a Man Utd he would end up on the bench I imagine. Personally I'd demand a sell on fee in the terms. If Will performs for Watford like some imagine he is capable of, we could be seeing a percentage of a fee double this in a couple of years time.

My only concern is that if we sell our young talent we end up with an older side that's not giving youth a chance. One hopes some other youngsters come through to be regular first teamers soon, I'm thinking and hoping for Bennett, Lowe, Elsnik and Vernam at the moment.

However if we lose Will and Ince in the same summer, I'll be fuming. Leave us with some flair! One or the other - not both.

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

What worries me is I don't want to see a Birmingham style team and getting rid of technical players worries me....I know it's all about opinion but I don't want to see us playing the percentages game ...it's dull it's boring....ask Boro....is it too much to try and emulate the mighty Bournemouth lol and try to play great football yet have a backbone ...I find this transfer if true worrying as Hughes has still got a lot left to offer ...unfortunately some of the dross we signed over the last two seasons...haven't!!! I do trust GR but just worry we'll not have the flair ...the way we played after mac got here with cloughs players and a few loans he brought in was fantastic to watch  and know it's probably not where we are going now...

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I don't think we should start worrying about that yet - Rowett was fairly clear when he arrived that he was excited to be working with a group of more technically proficient players and his 'effective' style at previous teams has been mostly because of the limited talent available

The game against Wolves for me was the most showing indication of how Rowett wants to play - High energy, quick movement, lots of options being made available and high pressing - And I thought we looked good and exciting in the first half against a team who aren't exactly terrible

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Why is everyone fixated with the selling price, it's Mel Morris' money so if he decides to sell him for 8 pounds or 8 million that's his decision ultimately 

Actually it's not. Apparently we need to sell to stay within FFP and to fund other transfers. So it isn't Mels money, it's the clubs money. So it matters a great deal, not that it's Mels money but it's going through DCFC books.

I think it's probably time he moved on he is in danger of going backwards hopefully we get a bit of cash out of it to strengthen elsewhere  for all his skill and control he rarely scores or makes an assist and that's what wins games . 

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

Actually it's not. Apparently we need to sell to stay within FFP and to fund other transfers. So it isn't Mels money, it's the clubs money. So it matters a great deal, not that it's Mels money but it's going through DCFC books.

Source?

We have had a LOT of speculation around this and no-one has given us an actual source

We know Rowett has been asked to work within a budget BUT we also know he's under no pressure to sell - He's stated he sees people leaving 'naturally' for football reasons rather than urgently for finance reasons

Books from the "crazy" spending season have been published already and we were within limits - Last season we had an overall net outlay around £!m wasn't it? So would imagine we'll be fine there too

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Source?

We have had a LOT of speculation around this and no-one has given us an actual source

We know Rowett has been asked to work within a budget BUT we also know he's under no pressure to sell - He's stated he sees people leaving 'naturally' for football reasons rather than urgently for finance reasons

Books from the "crazy" spending season have been published already and we were within limits - Last season we had an overall net outlay around £!m wasn't it? So would imagine we'll be fine there too

Hence the word apparently you so aptly highlighted but failed to notice ?

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Am assuming then that Mel Morris would also be in possession of this information so having given it his full consideration he believes 8 million is a fair reflection of Will Hughes transfer value 

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

Hence the word apparently you so aptly highlighted but failed to notice ?

Yes well that's why I asked if you had a source - Random speculation based on nothing is what we have on here so far

Apparently is "as far as one knows" and I feel is a little strong for "based on internet forum speculation"

I see this as a positive move for all.

Hughes I think can be a better PL player than a Championship player because he will have better players around him and more time on the ball. It will play into his greater strengths. We know what he is capable of and the challenge for him is to bring that game out week after week.

I want to see him achieve at the highest level and he won't have the chance to do that at a mid table Championship side, which is what we were in the most recent standings. It'll be hard and I don't know whether he can do it, but at least he'll have the chance.

Derby meanwhile get some valuable funds in. I'm not convinced by our midfield so we need some fresh blood in there. This will hopefully help allow that.

I don't understand this whole fecking football thing anymore. Friday I see Sunderland selling a goal keeper for 30 million, today I see we are selling our most gifted player for 8 million.

He hasn't kicked on as we would have hoped, but he has been injured for large chunks. 

The transfer policy at this club has been nothing short of shambolic the last few years, it angers me so much.

I am thinking of going to watch the women's cricket World Cup on Saturday, a sport that makes no sense to me may just seem normal at the minute.

I don't mind if we have better lined up but Iniesta is another one who is getting on a bit.

Without Hughes and defending fullbacks.... I despair.

FFS. This completely ruined my day. There's still hope it doesn't happen though... I'll grap to any lifeline with Will.

I understand the sentiment regarding Hughes and I agree the fee is low based on how us fans value him. Can we really keep a player on the bench (based on Rowett's previous team selections) when someone is happy to pay £8m+ on them?

However, how much would you be happy for the club to pay on a 22yr old CM who doesn't score many goals and not done much for the past 2 seasons? We would be fuming if we paid 8m for someone like that. A lot are disappointed to spend around 1m on a CM who has played regular Prem + International football for the past 9 years.

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

However, how much would you be happy for the club to pay on a 22yr old CM who doesn't score many goals and not done much for the past 2 seasons? We would be fuming if we paid 8m for someone like that. A lot are disappointed to spend around 1m on a CM who has played regular Prem + International football for the past 9 years.

Will Hughes @ £8m = 4x George Thorne

Archived