Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nfb said:

Anyone else hear talk sport just ? the spokesman for Watford said that he had to correct Jacobs(Hawksbee and Jacobs) when he said about Will being 8M, saying that that was a maximum figure that the deal would cost if all the provisos where reached the basic cost was less than Nathan Challobah who was reportedly 5M :ermm:

If he was from the club he'd be in breach of the non disclosure agreement that was part of the Hughes transfer. We know Mel looks forward to court! I suspect their spokesman is briefed on that so it will just be a caller talking from the same knowledge base as the rest of us. 

Nobody knows for certain unless they're privy to paperwork and financials but I had it on very good authority the up front figure was either £4.5m or £5m (can't recall which now), If he gets 100 caps for England we might make £8m.

I heard that privately and was shaken by the paltry amount, but I'm pretty sure the DET later reported very similar figures. But the story has since been removed and replaced with "an undisclosed fee".

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Nobody knows for certain unless they're privy to paperwork and financials but I had it on very good authority the up front figure was either £4.5m or £5m (can't recall which now), If he gets 100 caps for England we might make £8m.

I heard that privately and was shaken by the paltry amount, but I'm pretty sure the DET later reported very similar figures. But the story has since been removed and replaced with "an undisclosed fee".

If he gets 100 caps for England, no more than 5/6 will be at Watford!

13 hours ago, DazzaRam said:

I dont think Hughes will be anymore than a bench warmer for Watford.

My understanding is that he made quite an impression preseason, and he and Challobah because of playing together for Eng U21's have brought the best out of each other so far, so we'll see. As for the sum, i'm shocked, especially when you see the sums we and others are being asked to stump up for much lesser players :angry:

But i wish Will all the best.

PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I saw that figure mentioned in the DET too, and like you I was shocked. Whether it's £4.5 million or even £8 million it's far, far too low, and it's not a surprise that we are struggling to replace him. Is Rowett stuck in a time warp, wasn't he aware of the hyper inflation affecting transfer fees?

Remind me about Will Hughes this time next year ............................ lets see if he establishes himself in a Watford team and contributes more than the occasional "flair touch" by the number of assists and or goals ....................... then we will see who got the better end of the deal

3 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I'm fairly sure that Rowett said in an interview that the sale of Hughes covered the cost of Davies, Wisdom and Huddlestone. 

I.e. £4.5m

We know he didn't go for enough money in our opinions but the only premiership club interested were Watford which is why they got a bargain but will he actually play much this season? I doubt it is my opinion and he will be used to make the English % in the matchday squad which will seem sad and he won't like that if he wants to play.

Keeping track so far (from most recent)

20 mins v Real Sociadad

30 mins v Villa

45 mins v Rangers

45 mins v Eibar

22 mins v Viktoria Plzen

Only started the Eibar game. Definitely a lot of competition and he will have to play his way into the team.

Interesting footnote in one piece about him on their website is that they were after him when they first got promoted but then he got injured so nothing happened.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Only started the Eibar game. Definitely a lot of competition and he will have to play his way into the team.

I'm still a little bitter that he left so I'm 50/50 whether I want him to showcase how good he is and tear the PL apart - Or languish on the bench for Watford, get frustrated and then move back to us

BTW - Anyone ITK know if we accepted a lower offer for him with a buy back fee in it? I've been wondering about this for a while - Everton bought Deulofeu for not too much because Barca had a buy back at like £12m - If we got promoted in the next couple of years picking up a CM of Hughes quality for that kind of money would be a bargain...

Archived