Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

PistoldPete2
45 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

It still amazes me the blinkers some people display. Hughes. When was his last good season. How many goals. How many assists. Yes he is neat and tidy. But so was my Nan. No physical presence and can't head a ball to save his life. He has had enough time to develop over the years. I sincerely hope he does well. But the fees some blinkered people suggest are delusional. 

Can't head a ball? Is that what we paid him for?  he did score a goal with his head. 

Neat and tidy? Well that's one way to describe the best passer in the league. 

As for blinkers, well yes some people do display they must be wearing them at every match. Or maybe hathersage is too far for you to actually attend any matches.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

It still amazes me the blinkers some people display. Hughes. When was his last good season. How many goals. How many assists. Yes he is neat and tidy. But so was my Nan. No physical presence and can't head a ball to save his life. He has had enough time to develop over the years. I sincerely hope he does well. But the fees some blinkered people suggest are delusional. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Its not blinkered to admire the intelligence, ball control, balance, movement and ability to keep possession, bring teammates into play.....Hughes' sublime skills are obviously lost on some.

Its like looking at a famous painting in an art gallery, some will just walk past and say that's nice, some will stare at it for hours and look into the artists soul at the nuances and beauty hidden in the detail.

Modern football can be a bit meh at times but someone like Will Hughes makes it worthwhile. Perhaps he just made it look too easy.

39 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not according to Derby telegraph

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/a-perfect-fit-watford-fans-react-to-signing-will-hughes-from-derby-county/story-30408537-detail/story.html

either way , £ 5 million or £8 million its a very poor deal for the Rams. 

Who the hell is jbonell_DT?

"reports suggest it is about £5 million, rising to £9 million."

This could also read:

"the most reliable reports suggest it is about £8 million, rising to £10.5m"

I understand why we accepted an offer of £8m for Hughes. It's because when he signed a new contract Mel promised him a move this summer for that amount. It was agreed in advance to avoid a bosman.

But what I don't understand is where were the other bidders? Why didn't Everton, Bournemouth, Stoke, Arsenal bid £10, £15, £20m??? I still can't believe we sold a £25m player for £8m.

23 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I understand why we accepted an offer of £8m for Hughes. It's because when he signed a new contract Mel promised him a move this summer for that amount. It was agreed in advance to avoid a bosman.

But what I don't understand is where were the other bidders? Why didn't Everton, Bournemouth, Stoke, Arsenal bid £10, £15, £20m??? I still can't believe we sold a £25m player for £8m.

The market has spoken.

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The market has spoken.

We should have stuffed a sock in its mouth:p

47 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

You mentioned Stoke when discussing Will Hughes?

Have a word with yersen.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

£25 million player please tell me your joking...  he's scored 12 goals man!! 

Those clubs didn't bid because they don't think he's good enough he hasn't achieved anything after his early potential 

You very rarely see that sort of money splashed out for someone that doesn't contribute many goals or assists.

Watford have taken a punt in my opinion based on that potential.

He's gone let's move on 

5 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Also I'm sure there would be a gentlemans agreement to quash some of the monies owed to Watford for Anya and Vydra, which the likes of us don't need to know about.

Still a bit of an interesting one,this.A fee of £x usually means the total guaranteed fee payable,but if it were said that Watford had agreed to pay £x,it could possibly mean that the actual fee might be the £x they paid +£y of an amount we owed to them,thus making it appear to other clubs that we received less than we actually did.Got an increasing feeling that it's clutching at straws though!

5 hours ago, PastRAMi said:

£25 million player please tell me your joking...  he's scored 12 goals man!! 

Those clubs didn't bid because they don't think he's good enough he hasn't achieved anything after his early potential 

You very rarely see that sort of money splashed out for someone that doesn't contribute many goals or assists.

Watford have taken a punt in my opinion based on that potential.

He's gone let's move on 

How much was Iniesta worth throughout his career?

Well he played 653 games and scored 65 goals. What about assists? 108.

So the great Iniesta, regarded as one of the best midfielders of his generation scored and assisted 173 goals in 653 games. Crap that is, isn't it?

If you have moved on and don't want to talk about Hughes why do open the thread opened Will Hughes and then proceed to poat in it?

1 hour ago, rynny said:

How much was Iniesta worth throughout his career?

Well he played 653 games and scored 65 goals. What about assists? 108.

So the great Iniesta, regarded as one of the best midfielders of his generation scored and assisted 173 goals in 653 games. Crap that is, isn't it?

If you have moved on and don't want to talk about Hughes why do open the thread opened Will Hughes and then proceed to poat in it?

Iniesta is on a slightly different level to hughes but I acknowledge your point.

At the same time In my opinion he has always been worth less than other great players I.e Messi, Ronaldo because he doesn't score / assist.

The simple truth is that it was the time the move needed to happen in terms of Hughes wanting and needing prem football and us in transition rebuild process with a new manager ,the fee was and always is decided by the market and the truth is Watford were the only club interested and they paid what they were prepared to pay ,,, the truth is Hughes for whatever reasons just has not convinced the bigger clubs that he is a 12 , 15, 20, 25 mill player and you can take it as read that those clubs have watched him since he emerged , he is not some unknown diamond that we have let go far too early so for us fans to keep banging on that he is a 20 mill player is nonesense ,, he is only that if clubs will pay it for him ,

my view is Hughes was starting to stagnate at Derby and even Mac made it clear that he really needed to get a bit more serious in training so it no surprise that managers like Pearson and rowett were a bit indifferent to him ,, they are trying to create an atmosphere of all players having to work and be committed as each other , even one player not fully on board with that ethos makes it impossible to sustain ,

hughes I feel had become a big fish in a little pond at Derby and no matter who you are that can cause motivational problems for the player or the players around him, if he had stayed I fear his value may well have dropped ,

best of luck to him and hope the new challenge inspires him but his time at Derby was up with the promotion failures

Archived