Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

But you have to ask why Wolves were better than us after the way we beat them last season? No excuse for Rowett as he has had far more time to execute his style than Nuno has at Wolves.

They spent huge amounts of cash on midfielders that shouldn't even be in this league. That might be it, you think?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

But you have to ask why Wolves were better than us after the way we beat them last season? No excuse for Rowett as he has had far more time to execute his style than Nuno has at Wolves.

To be fair wolves have spent plenty of £££ and spent it well - we didn't in the past which is the frustration of many, they also have the winger costa who is currently injured who is the best winger I have seen in years - a real proper winger, they could easily be in the top two this year.

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

They spent huge amounts of cash on midfielders that shouldn't even be in this league. That might be it, you think?

One midfielder in Ruben Neves. They've had wholesale changes in their team whereas ours was supposedly the more stable side and we have a manager who "knows the league".

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

One midfielder in Ruben Neves. They've had wholesale changes in their team whereas ours was supposedly the more stable side and we have a manager who "knows the league".

So they paying Jota small wages? Cavaleiro cost them 7m. Good job Helder Costa was injured. I got Wolves finishing 2nd this season assuming they keep players fit. If they are up there in Jan I reckon they'll go big again as they'll judge the 3 year FFP period as worth the gamble.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What I meant was haven't they brought more than 1 midfielder in...

Looking at their line up I don't recognise half of them so probably so. That's the key point here, regardless of money spent, Wolves have put together a brand new side who have only known each other 5 minutes and they already are executing a plan that the manager wants. 

We're currently doing nothing different to what we have done in the past 3 seasons, which is no where near good enough considering the gaffer has been here almost 6 months. 

Nobody is asking miracles from GR but we've just been shown (rammed down our throats) that a manager can/should be having an effect on the team this early. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Looking at their line up I don't recognise half of them so probably so. That's the key point here, regardless of money spent, Wolves have put together a brand new side who have only known each other 5 minutes and they already are executing a plan that the manager wants. 

We're currently doing nothing different to what we have done in the past 3 seasons, which is no where near good enough considering the gaffer has been here almost 6 months. 

Nobody is asking miracles from GR but we've just been shown (rammed down our throats) that a manager can/should be having an effect on the team this early. 

Rowett has yet to show he can walk the walk, lots of talk though.

If Wolves are the benchmark as us suggested, then we have to judge ourselves against them. They were better in virtually every position for large parts of the game and tactically better too.

If we are aiming for the top then we have to improve  in many different ways.

What if Sunderland were  the benchmark?  I see similar problems ....

35 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Didn't GR have the best start by any new manager in the club's history? I don't know if GR will be our saviour, but equally I don't know if Nuno will be Wolves' either.

The difference is that Wolves have released or sold 7 players and have another 5 out on loan.

Until we are able to rid ourselves of highly paid under performing players, we are unable to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

I'm sure Rowett was keen to get rid of quite a few more, but you need someone to take the player off your hands AND pay them something that makes the move worthwhile.

You have to cut your cloth accordingly.

3 hours ago, thekingofbuxton said:

It's a good point, Lawrence and Kent at this point would be amazing signings.

This isn’t directly aimed at you necessarily, more generally all to those who think this about Lawrence and Kent. 

How many times have you seen these players LIVE in order to make the judgement that they are so much better than what we currently have, and are going to make this huge impact at our club?

What are you, and others, basing your opinion on that these players are so much better than what we have?  In what way would they fit in to the system Rowett wants to play better than the current players?  What attributes do these players have, that our current players don’t have, that will significantly improve our fortunes in the way you foresee?

I am genuinely curious, because I have seen both of these players live only twice (all last season), and couldn’t give you an answer to any of the above, as 90 minutes (Lawrence) and 105 minutes (Kent) is not really enough for me, personally, to have an informed view?

Lawrence had, based on reports, a good season at Ipswich last year.  However, in the two games I saw live, he was a sub in the game at PP, making a decent, if not spectacular impact, and in the game at Portman Road he, along with most of the Ipswich side, was utter gash and was yanked off at HT.  If I were to judge signing him based on these two performances, I would say no.  Even more so for the £7m+ price tag being thrown about.

As for Kent, again I have only seen him a couple of times live.  He had a brief cameo in the game at PP, although he did standout in the game at Oakwell.  Again, if I were to base this signing on, arguably, this single performance, I would probably say yes?  However, from memory, I could give you single game performances by our current players (Weimann – play-off 2nd leg v Hull 15/16, Russell v Bolton at home 15/16), which would be at least on a par, if not better, than the Kent performance.  So basing any signing on a single performance is risky.

Now, I would imagine Rowett and his staff will have watched these players many more times than this, so I will trust their judgement.  But I would suggest the average Rams fan won’t have seen these players LIVE any more than I have, so am interested to understand how they reach their opinion on these players?

5 minutes ago, John Doe said:

This isn’t directly aimed at you necessarily, more generally all to those who think this about Lawrence and Kent. 

How many times have you seen these players LIVE in order to make the judgement that they are so much better than what we currently have, and are going to make this huge impact at our club?

What are you, and others, basing your opinion on that these players are so much better than what we have?  In what way would they fit in to the system Rowett wants to play better than the current players?  What attributes do these players have, that our current players don’t have, that will significantly improve our fortunes in the way you foresee?

I am genuinely curious, because I have seen both of these players live only twice (all last season), and couldn’t give you an answer to any of the above, as 90 minutes (Lawrence) and 105 minutes (Kent) is not really enough for me, personally, to have an informed view?

Lawrence had, based on reports, a good season at Ipswich last year.  However, in the two games I saw live, he was a sub in the game at PP, making a decent, if not spectacular impact, and in the game at Portman Road he, along with most of the Ipswich side, was utter gash and was yanked off at HT.  If I were to judge signing him based on these two performances, I would say no.  Even more so for the £7m+ price tag being thrown about.

As for Kent, again I have only seen him a couple of times live.  He had a brief cameo in the game at PP, although he did standout in the game at Oakwell.  Again, if I were to base this signing on, arguably, this single performance, I would probably say yes?  However, from memory, I could give you single game performances by our current players (Weimann – play-off 2nd leg v Hull 15/16, Russell v Bolton at home 15/16), which would be at least on a par, if not better, than the Kent performance.  So basing any signing on a single performance is risky.

Now, I would imagine Rowett and his staff will have watched these players many more times than this, so I will trust their judgement.  But I would suggest the average Rams fan won’t have seen these players LIVE any more than I have, so am interested to understand how they reach their opinion on these players?

Good post. Agree entirely with everything you've said there.

12 minutes ago, John Doe said:

What an opening post lol

Absolutely on the money with that

u talk sense, u wont last long here lol

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Didn't GR have the best start by any new manager in the club's history? I don't know if GR will be our saviour, but equally I don't know if Nuno will be Wolves' either.

Not sure if it was the best ever but yeah his start was good results wise. I'm not saying Nuno has solved all Wolves' problems either but there was a stark contrast between the two teams yesterday which is only alarming due to the amount of time both managers have had.

I don't care about winning or results yet, I just want to see some signs of recovery, a style, of things to come... yesterday was far from any of those, as was Sunderland. Plenty of time yet to get it right, I just don't think asking for an insight of the future after 6 months in charge is too much to ask. 

2 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Is it not obvious for Lawrence in particular? We're lacking goals and he was one of the top scoring wingers in this league last season. No one knows if he'll suit the system we play unless they've watched him a lot, but at the minute the wingers we currently have don't even suit it properly, so he can't be much worse. And I think most would agree that the reported £7 million fee is way too much, particularly for a player in the last year of his contract, but after seeing little to no change in the opening two games from recent seasons, many (not me) are quite happy for us to overpay just so they can see some change.

As for Kent, the fact so many teams are linked with him and Liverpool appeared insistent he got a new long term deal would suggest he has the talent. Many Liverpool fans wanted him to stay and feature for them in the cups rather than go out on loan, so that's another good indication he's quite good.

At this level it's rare for many/any of the fans to have seen a lot of potential signings because they're either being signed from fellow Football League clubs who are only on TV 5 or 6 times a season, or are struggling for game time at Premier League clubs. So usually we have to go off of stats and opposing fan's opinions.

I think yesterday concerned Rowett more than he was letting on, I think initially he was only looking at Lawrence but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he brings a couple more on top of that in after yesterday's showing.

Same old faces letting the manager down yet again

Archived