Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

15 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I have Anya down as a very useful utility player who can fill in at LB, RB, LW or RW. We overpaid for him but I don't think it'd be wise to get rid.

Yeh - But he's bang average in all of those places - I'd rather have someone who actually plays the position in there - This would be my order in each position:

It's nice to have a utility man if you're a struggling team or mid-table - Because then you can keep a smaller squad and having a couple of bang average players in there is fine - If we're going to be a top 6 team we need to make sure we have at least good players in each position so the usefulness of a utility player becomes less 

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought for a week or 2 that the final 3 to go will be Roos, Shackell & Anya.

Roos is never going to displace Mitchell, never mind Carson.

Shackell to expensive to be a backup, too old/experienced to not be playing. (from his point of view).

Anya not even on the bench for the last few games - behind Lawrence, Russell, Weimann & Bennett in the pecking order even before we potentially sign another wideman before the deadline.

That would be the "4 in and 8 out" that Gaz was targeting before last season even ended - leaving a 24 man squad.

Any further signings a bonus, but possibly considered necessary due to Bent's injury, Lowe's constant injuries and Thorne's previous injury problems effectively taking the squad down to 21 including Hanson.

Preston seem to be after a LB now that Cunningham is injured, they play with wing backs as well so someone like them would be a good fit for Anya. Would think most teams playing wing backs at this level would be interested in Anya on loan.

Anya is a decent player but he rarely seems to be fit. When he starts it's unusual for him to finish the 90 and he has picked up a lot of niggles since he came. You can't carry that lack of reliability in a small squad. Same would be said of Lowe. It's a good move if someone takes him. Good footballer who covers a lot of ground but not reliable. 

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I have Anya down as a very useful utility player who can fill in at LB, RB, LW or RW. We overpaid for him but I don't think it'd be wise to get rid.

If we can get a decent return on him it would be because in the championship if you spend £4.5 million you need to be a star! Not a bench utility man 

Weird one, clearly not in Rowett's plans so fair to move him on, but in doing so we're losing a really useful asset who can play 4 different positions to an ok standard. He's just good back up, and strikes me as having an attitude that means he wouldn't mind playing a small part if the team were doing well. 

Players like Hanson, Shackell/Pearce, Bennett on loan, Bent when fit, one of Forsyth/Ollson/Lowe (loan) would be priorities to ship off imo. Having said that, we can't sell unwanted players, and if we can get a decent price for Anya then letting him go would be sensible.

MOM at right back for Scotland.

He is so versatile we could well need him when injuries and suspensions set in.    Baird is the older option who seems to go on for ever.

Yes Anya picks up knocks and niggles but it is the enthusiastic challenging way in which he plays that results in these. Unfortunately they have interfered with him getting a regular place on the bench.   Would be disappointed if he was sold on.

48 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

He is so versatile we could well need him when injuries and suspensions set in.    Baird is the older option who seems to go on for ever.

Versatile bang average

A versatile, bang average player is what you have when you're mid-table - Not what you have when you're challenging for promotion - We have at least two better options in every position than Anya - Let him go

21 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Versatile bang average

A versatile, bang average player is what you have when you're mid-table - Not what you have when you're challenging for promotion - We have at least two better options in every position than Anya - Let him go

I kinda agree other than with the caveat of if we think we might play wing backs as some point we should keep him as he is perfect for that position.

48 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes that's why he was instrumental in getting Watford promoted 

Yeah let's not exaggerate, he played 35 games but he wasn't Deeney, Ighalo or Vydra. Instrumental is a bit of a stretch, he was about as instrumental for Watford as Olsson was for us last season. He played 35 games for Watford in the 14/15 season but seemed to play either RWB or LWB, neither are positions we play. I'm not saying get rid, I personally think he's excellent cover to have as he can pretty much cover both our fullback and wide midfielder slots, but let's not pretend he was a world beater for Watford.

A few weeks/months down the line we might have a few players out and we'll be happy to have such a good player for cover then.

I would imagine Baird and fozzy/ Olson will be on the bench for full back cover, Pearce as CB. Martin or nuge depending on who's starting. Mitchell for GK. Which only leaves 2 spots, one of weimann/Russell/Lawrence and CM for those two spots so can't see where Anya would fit in. 

Even if you took Olson out I would imagine he'd want another CM or Bennett in the squad. That's not even mentioning any other signings we may make.

57 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I kinda agree other than with the caveat of if we think we might play wing backs as some point we should keep him as he is perfect for that position.

I don't think we will - Rowett seems to be happy with 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1

Equally I think we're covered for wing backs on the left (any of our LBs can play there) and Wisdom can play it on the right - And if Victor Moses is a wing back then no reason Russell couldn't be too

Rumours are we're getting rid of Shackell - We currently (inc him) have 4 CBs - Would we be getting rid of one if there was any intention of playing 3 at the back? Leaves you without much cover

Archived