Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

41 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Thing is why do people think everyone wants rid of Russell? I don't. I just don't think he's enough to get us up, does a job but we need more. Lawrence last season had a bit of magic, scored some screamers and scared the life out of defenses. Johnny just didn't do that enough, he had some decent games but he's very steady. Ince was a cut above some games and we've lost that now, he won us games on his own sometimes. Russell isn't a player that can do that lately. Russell, Anya, Weimann are alright but we need something extra and I think Lawrence has that. He did it for Ipswich in a poor side.

1) Massive caveat in advance that I want us to sign Lawrence - Think he could be a very nice addition to the team

2) Jamie Ward was a game winner for us in a poor side - I tend to find that good players in a poor side look EVEN BETTER by comparison - It's the guys (like Ince) who show themselves a cut above a squad of good players who impress me - This was always my problem with the Grant Hanley links - Very easy to be considered good when you're in a terrible defence as no-one blames you for the mistakes - When you're in a good defence you get blamed for every tiny error as they are expected not to happen

However we do need someone in the squad who's better than Anya and Blackman

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

1) Massive caveat in advance that I want us to sign Lawrence - Think he could be a very nice addition to the team

2) Jamie Ward was a game winner for us in a poor side - I tend to find that good players in a poor side look EVEN BETTER by comparison - It's the guys (like Ince) who show themselves a cut above a squad of good players who impress me - This was always my problem with the Grant Hanley links - Very easy to be considered good when you're in a terrible defence as no-one blames you for the mistakes - When you're in a good defence you get blamed for every tiny error as they are expected not to happen

However we do need someone in the squad who's better than Anya and Blackman

Keogh ?? ;) :p

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Thing is why do people think everyone wants rid of Russell? I don't. I just don't think he's enough to get us up, does a job but we need more. Lawrence last season had a bit of magic, scored some screamers and scared the life out of defenses. Johnny just didn't do that enough, he had some decent games but he's very steady. Ince was a cut above some games and we've lost that now, he won us games on his own sometimes. Russell isn't a player that can do that lately. Russell, Anya, Weimann are alright but we need something extra and I think Lawrence has that. He did it for Ipswich in a poor side.

Great post but knocking off one point for not spelling defences correctly!?

We aren't going to get the opportunity to see Lawrence playing regularly in a good side so we need to make a call based on scouting and whether we think he can do it. 

It's in our hands now, I agree loan is unlikely so offer enough and Leicester will accept It, make him feel wanted and I reckon we can seal the deal.

Yes it's a risk, but that's the nature of the game. Ince moved on largely bevause he wanted to, but we let him, so now we have to reinvest that cash in someone to replace him adequately, and you're not going to do that cheaply.

I can't see us spending £15m on anybody proven or proven players dropping down, so this is as good an option as any for me.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

We aren't going to get the opportunity to see Lawrence playing regularly in a good side so we need to make a call based on scouting and whether we think he can do it. 

It's in our hands now, I agree loan is unlikely so offer enough and Leicester will accept It, make him feel wanted and I reckon we can seal the deal.

Yes it's a risk, but that's the nature of the game. Ince moved on largely bevause he wanted to, but we let him, so now we have to reinvest that cash in someone to replace him adequately, and you're not going to do that cheaply.

I can't see us spending £15m on anybody proven or proven players dropping down, so this is as good an option as any for me.

Rowett said he'd only sign players that he's actually watched! When he got the sack from Birmingham he watched a lot of Championshio games and I should imagine he's seen Lawrence play-that'll do for me!?

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

"Derby. Scouting around for wide men. Asking about Callum Robinson at Preston now..."

There is a thread about this. 

TBH if we have got to spend money to get someone in, then would rather it be the likes

of James - at least we are paying for proven ability and not potential, GR will know this

already of course - so I'm expecting one or perhaps two top players coming in, may

take a bit thou!

• 2 weeks later...

We could have Lukaku, Sanchez, Aguero or anyone of that ilk up top...if we have no wide player who can deliver or no midfielder who can provide the right pass it doesn't matter. I think we need 2 players, a wide player and creative midfielder..perhaps GR means 1 more permanent signing and then maybe a couple of loans...

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We could have Lukaku, Sanchez, Aguero or anyone of that ilk up top...if we have no wide player who can deliver or no midfielder who can provide the right pass it doesn't matter. I think we need 2 players, a wide player and creative midfielder..perhaps GR means 1 more permanent signing and then maybe a couple of loans...

Forget the wide player the ball wont get there from the midfield 

Archived