Derby Vs Preston

rynny

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Obviously he hasn't. I'm talking about running the clock down like all other teams do. Nigel Cloughs team had a corner flag love in for the last 5 minutes of any game we were one up in.  

Do we have players strong or intelligent enough to do it?

Our wingers certainly aren't 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting game last night that in my opinion summed up why we are where we are at the moment.  Not a bad performance by any means but avoidable and a little more confidence would have had a different result

My brother (who knows nothing about football whatsoever) said halfway through the second half "why do Derby always have to pass sideways or when stationary"?

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did Vydra really look good? Or just better than what we have seen so far?

Missed 2 good chances in the first half and his goal was very scruffy to say the least.

Showed a few decent touches but still looking a very long way away from an £8m player.

I thought he looked good chasing the ball down the left and with his movement inside to feed off Nugent. Less comfortable when he was facing play or running back when Preston had the ball. 

Took down and contolled one or two wild passes with aplomb!

Of his chances, the header was a bit too high for him always making it difficult; the second was the big miss (should have been on target from there).

The goal came at him quickly from a deflection and he had the goalscorer's instinct to get something on it. Thought he did well there and with a bit more confidence the pretty goals will come. 

I'll get the negatives out of the way first.

Felt like a loss. We had them at arm's length for 80 minutes. Mac's subs were awful. I get why he did it, minutes in some legs, but Camara for Vydra and Bryson on ahead of Hughes mystified me. As for Bent, why bring on a player like him when under pressure like that? Might as well have kept a knackered Nugent on.

Showing we're missing Keogh. There's times where Baird and Pearce have the ball and there's no easy pass, so it has to go long, where Keogh would steal a march instead, then find a man.

Christie infuriates me. Forever looking to beat a man too many, when passing the ball would create an opportunity, did put a couple of decent crosses in, but not enough for how many times he got in good positions. Would be half tempted to put Baird out there, but Knockaert will be very difficult. Christie does at least have pace..  

Positives.

The system shows promise. There's signs players are starting to understand each other, which only comes from a consistent lineup. Vydra, Nugent, Ince are intelligent, and those little flicks round the corner were causing issues for Preston. Only needed one of them to take flick into our path, not theirs, and we're in.

What a ball from Bradley for the goal. Thought he had a storming game, was worried when went down from that challenge. Butterfield played well too, imo - those two complement each other nicely. Think the front 6 complement each other nicely as a whole. The three behind Nugent can rotate at will, and the man himself isn't as horrendously isolated as Bent, thus knitting play together nicely.

1 minute ago, WharfedaleRam said:

On a slightly different but related tack, how many folk on here, who were at the game last night, went home thinking we'd won 1-0. Come on, own up!

Anyone who has watched the Rams knows better than to do that. Birmingham at home last season springs to mind!

1 minute ago, WharfedaleRam said:

On a slightly different but related tack, how many folk on here, who were at the game last night, went home thinking we'd won 1-0. Come on, own up!

No, I went home feeling like we'd lost 1-1

6 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

I never leave early. I don't get to my seat until 80 mins played though as there's more chance of seeing a goal. Sadly 99% of the time it's the opposition that scores!!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Anybody know who the smallfella with long hair playing in the middle of the park for them was? Very tidy player.

Ben Pearson .. 22 Man U throw out I think ... Wish we had him. Very tidy player indeed. 

From the Preston Forum:

I thought Derby looked like a good outfit. As for us passing and moving better than them then that's rubbish - we didn't really string anything together between the 10th and the 85th minute.

They had far more time on the ball and moved it around more purposefully and it seemed to me like we had a gaping gap between the back four and our midfield which gave them opportunities to get through nearly every time. This wasn't rectified at half-time. I like 4-4-2 but it's not necessarily right to have a flat midfield in every game and I thought SG should have altered the formation at half-time with Pearson sitting behind Gallagher.

Aside from the first 10 mins when we looked good, we didn't look like scoring at all, but the key thing is that we were still in the game because they didn't make their superior attacking intent pay off and with only one goal in it, we had a chance. Certainly in the last 10 minutes we saw a lot more of the ball, possibly because their substitutions allowed us to get on the front foot.

Can't fault the lads' effort.

1 hour ago, WharfedaleRam said:

There were plenty filing out early.....it beats me why....on a side note, parked in the fire place car park as I'd come from the m1 for a change. Was fine getting back to the motorway.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did Vydra really look good? Or just better than what we have seen so far?

Missed 2 good chances in the first half and his goal was very scruffy to say the least.

Showed a few decent touches but still looking a very long way away from an £8m player.

This.

Though I thought his goal was quite sharp; he reacted quicker than any of the defenders and showed a good goal poacher's mentality. Plenty of others in the team would have tried to take a touch and been crowded out. 

His movement was quite intelligent I thought, far better than Russell's, but he was knackered 60 mins in. Right decision to take him off.

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Obviously he hasn't. I'm talking about running the clock down like all other teams do. Nigel Cloughs team had a corner flag love in for the last 5 minutes of any game we were one up in.  

It used to backfire on us a lot. 

Yes the result is frustrating but really the last few games are about working out what will work, who works for next season. At least we are now creating chances and hopefully that understanding will only get better. As much as I love the old 4-3-3 in full flight, it is good to see us trying something else. The task now is about confidence building for next season, our last three seasons have ended with a sense of disappointment, let's get that out of the way and focus on what lies ahead.

Archived