Derby Vs Preston

rynny

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back to the works digs "somewhere in Northamptonshire"

I don't know if could add much but to echo the comments of others, daft subs and a fragile mentality have dropped us 2 points in our quest for positively adequate as opposed to depressingly average. 

Plus points, Vydra got a goal which will hopefully spur on some belief, I think they did work at it and apart from the first twenty and last 10 Preston, who are a decent side themselves, never really felt threatening. Johnson played well, Ince plays like he wants to be in the premier league. Dave Nuge did what he does and plenty of it. Russell looks game, so does Butters (why the hate folks?)

Overall, the draw would drive you up the wall if you hadn't already realised the play off boat sailed a while ago. If you're in the look to next season camp, then it was OK until the end when it became irritating. I'm not going to slate any individual performances as it think it's a team failing with nerves or whatever, it was a collective will to let that goal in.

But yes, we should've took the rumoured £2m for razza in January. I'm guessing the idea was Camara's pace to offer an out ball, except he never did that and when he came on, we were still in control of the game, crying out for sensible seeing the game out, not haplessly under relentless pressure needing a runner to lump it for. Daft. At least Anya's been around and would have known we were trying to see the game out with some nous.

I'd give the team a C - can do better, McClaren a D - must show he's learning.

I liked the set up and we should stick with it. Swap Nuge for Martin and it's a runner for next season I think.

46 minutes ago, needles said:

We did own long stretches of the game, but for me only had three chances for all that. Two first half fluffed badly by Vydra, one second half bundled in by Vydra. They had one or two scrambles, a header or two and the goal.

The lack of creating real chances throughout games is an overriding concern. Too much indirect play in the final third for me, too willing to pass to a free man (a la backwards or sideways) than make an effective pass

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

A little harsh as he did say he was only 1% focused on Brighton. So we gave 99% attention here which was only slightly less than Preston at 100%. So 1-1 was actually a good outcome considering he had us slightly less focused.

Mind you, If he could inflict the same punishment on other teams as he does on water bottles we'd be laughing. At least he's entertaining in the epic nature of his constant failure - but much preferred it when he was bungling games on a regular basis at Newcastle.

If Clough, Clement or Pearson were still here, they would have all been crucified on here, for making any of those substitutes, then again they are not here. No good with chewing gum or water bottles perhaps!

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just got back to the works digs "somewhere in Northamptonshire"

I don't know if could add much but to echo the comments of others, daft subs and a fragile mentality have dropped us 2 points in our quest for positively adequate as opposed to depressingly average. 

Plus points, Vydra got a goal which will hopefully spur on some belief, I think they did work at it and apart from the first twenty and last 10 Preston, who are a decent side themselves, never really felt threatening. Johnson played well, Ince plays like he wants to be in the premier league. Dave Nuge did what he does and plenty of it. Russell looks game, so does Butters (why the hate folks?)

Overall, the draw would drive you up the wall if you hadn't already realised the play off boat sailed a while ago. If you're in the look to next season camp, then it was OK until the end when it became irritating. I'm not going to slate any individual performances as it think it's a team failing with nerves or whatever, it was a collective will to let that goal in.

But yes, we should've took the rumoured £2m for razza in January. I'm guessing the idea was Camara's pace to offer an out ball, except he never did that and when he came on, we were still in control of the game, crying out for sensible seeing the game out, not haplessly under relentless pressure needing a runner to lump it for. Daft. At least Anya's been around and would have known we were trying to see the game out with some nous.

I'd give the team a C - can do better, McClaren a D - must show he's learning.

I liked the set up and we should stick with it. Swap Nuge for Martin and it's a runner for next season I think.

I really like the idea of potentially having a Johnson/Thorne midfield too (not forgetting Hughes unless he can possibly challenge Ince for that free role in the centre). Anyway there should be good options around key areas

20 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I really like the idea of potentially having a Johnson/Thorne midfield too (not forgetting Hughes unless he can possibly challenge Ince for that free role in the centre). Anyway there should be good options around key areas

Huges in advanced midfield role and Ince back on the right forward role (although with the understanding he'll roam), vydra taking the left (understanding he'll look to get in and around martin whilst the LB gives the width)

But a Johnson Thorne two in this set up would be very good.

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Arsenal are a top premier league team regularly in the champions league. They lost to Bayern Munich! Derby are an overspending bloated set of underachievers and perennial choke artists who live outside the premier league with a total failure of a manager.  And we've just failed to beat Bristol city Burton Cardiff and Preston at home!  This is supposed to be a bright side ???? It's as dark as hell.

It's called 'a joke' you utter melt.

41 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Saint Steve is with us for the duration it seems .... 

So er 

I'm thinking another 6 years in the Championship whilst we give him time to adjust and sort things out .... 

Which means another 6 years of inane shizzle like the above I guess. Might slash my wrists after all....

The lads must be absolutely gutted after the end to this game, and who can blame them

Up until 5 minutes before the end I thought this was a pretty decent performance. Once again we played a team who seemed to have a better togetherness than us  and who passed and moved better than us and yet who we managed to restrict to very few chances.

Plenty of our Rams players were having really good games - Baird, Johnson, Butterfield, Johhny,  Ince. All really good.

Others were beginning to adapt nicely to the changes - Vydra and Nugent amongst them

The new formation was beginning to bed in nicely.

You just knew, though, that our approach to the final minutes was likely to be risky.  I wonder what it is that leads to players losing composure and structure when playing in those conditions ? Equally I would love to know the logic behind the substitutions that were deemed appropriate in the final quarter - they seemed to reinforce the inevitability of the final result rather than ensuring that the opposite would happen and another home victory would be confirmed. 

All very strange. Star Trek fans will be familiar with the regular occurrence of Spock, standing to one side whilst various mayhem and illogical behaviour took place around him on a foreign planet in a set-to between locals and his colleagues from the Starship Enterprise. 

"Fascinating" he would mutter to himself as he watched the shambles unfurl.  In other words, "why do they continually behave in such an irrational  manner in these kinds of circumstances " ? 

4 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Not much was first attempt ?

Been watching Derby since a schoolboy at the baseball ground, been reading the forum for ages and thought why not.,,.

got back from the match and spent 2 hrs getting this far!

dont want to be negative as there were lots of positives. Nearly considered posting COYR for 2000 posts before I dared criticism 

think most things have been covered already. Agree with the general consensus that the subs were wrong , anyways

The reason I posted tonight was when I'm honest , I don't expect Jonny to have the ball control and dribbling skills of messi, nor do expect Cyrus to be Azpilicueta or Vydra to gel into an already fragmented side. (These players were not singled out by tonight's game btw at all!!) I'm not gonna go through the whole side etc 

What I do expect though is if we decide to sit on a 1-0 lead, (showing our intentions to Preston that fact  - I.e a free kick into the box with only Bent in it!!?)

Is hard work.

lots of players seemed to have the attitude that others will pick up their slack in the last 5/10 mins. You can sit back deep and defend a slender lead I've no problem with that , but it requires harder work I'm afraid than a few players were prepared to give

11 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

The lads must be absolutely gutted after the end to this game, and who can blame them

Up until 5 minutes before the end I thought this was a pretty decent performance. Once again we played a team who seemed to have a better togetherness than us  and who passed and moved better than us and yet who we managed to restrict to very few chances.

Plenty of our Rams players were having really good games - Baird, Johnson, Butterfield, Johhny,  Ince. All really good.

Others were beginning to adapt nicely to the changes - Vydra and Nugent amongst them

The new formation was beginning to bed in nicely.

You just knew, though, that our approach to the final minutes was likely to be risky.  I wonder what it is that leads to players losing composure and structure when playing in those conditions ? Equally I would love to know the logic behind the substitutions that were deemed appropriate in the final quarter - they seemed to reinforce the inevitability of the final result rather than ensuring that the opposite would happen and another home victory would be confirmed. 

All very strange. Star Trek fans will be familiar with the regular occurrence of Spock, standing to one side whilst various mayhem and illogical behaviour took place around him on a foreign planet in a set-to between locals and his colleagues from the Starship Enterprise. 

"Fascinating" he would mutter to himself as he watched the shambles unfurl.  In other words, "why do they continually behave in such an irrational  manner in these kinds of circumstances " ? 

This was at home to Preston. 

This kinda post I'm sure the postee would be quite happy tapping away on his keyboard whilst we were in league one .... 

I'm sorry .... 

Reality check needed with lots of posters on this forum ... :)

1 minute ago, BobbyD said:

You are so right

The sense of entitlement of a few posters (well, maybe just one or two)  on here is truly, mind-bogglingly astonishing 

As Spock would say, "fascinating"

Because Steve MaClaren is taking DCFC up .... 

Pm me and we'll have a private bet on this ... 

How many years tho ?? 

Archived