Derby Vs Preston

rynny

22 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Yes the result is frustrating but really the last few games are about working out what will work, who works for next season. At least we are now creating chances and hopefully that understanding will only get better. As much as I love the old 4-3-3 in full flight, it is good to see us trying something else. The task now is about confidence building for next season, our last three seasons have ended with a sense of disappointment, let's get that out of the way and focus on what lies ahead.

All good points and well made but since changing it about we have relinquished control in midfield to the opposition quite notably. Our games have become end-to-end and although energy is up, we are often chasing because we are not retaining possession. It may be because certain players have not really featured (Is Hughes on the "naughty" step) but I'm not convinced by the Barnsley win and Preston could easily have snatched all 3 points last night if they had shown a trad more composure in the final third. I'm not so vacillatory as some fans (I treat victory and defeat in equal measure) and hope that the Club sticks together. We could do with some stentorian (look it up!) words from MM or SR right now to brings us all together. Hindsight is a great thing and maybe in hindsight the subs did contribute to our downfall, but clearly after expending huge energy quite a few players last night were cream-crackered on 80 minutes. I myself thought we needed to keep possession (so why not Hughes and a switch to 4-3-3 - it at least proves we can keep the ball from most teams) but let's not knee Mac in the balls when he's down. He clearly cares a great deal as evidenced by his bottle-kicking displays. Loyalty works both ways {These more general points are not aimed at BonJovi, who is an excellent contributor and has made a great post...they have merely flowed into this post after last night, listening to fans having a go at the team, Club, McClaren, et cetera). :mellow:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jono said:

Ben Pearson .. 22 Man U throw out I think ... Wish we had him. Very tidy player indeed. 

Yes, very sharp, very quick feet, low centre of gravity, like a pocket battle-ship, he stood out in their midfield and moved about the field with graceful energy that defied gravity at times. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes, very sharp, very quick feet, low centre of gravity, like a pocket battle-ship, he stood out in their midfield and moved about the field with graceful energy that defied gravity at times. 

Sink the Pearson! Staring dreadnought HMS Bradley and the light cruiser HMS Jacob

I thought we were good value for three points last night and enjoyed the match until the subs were made. I am not one to knock managers or players but I can't help feeling Mac cost us there. 

Yet again I was most impressed by Johnson and Butterfield. And great to see that both Nugent and Vydra have now popped a goal in using this slightly different system. 

Friday a massive test. I'm unable to attend due to the fixture change. Only my second miss of the season. Other was Huddersfield which wasn't a bad thing considering! Here's to armchair fans!

It wasn't great but for me this is a development phase and there were some encouraging signs in some areas.

Steve has some well known team members but a fair few new faces. He can't recreate the 13/14 with different pegs and different holes. He needs to re jig and the last 2 games are part of that process. 

The new set up looks good and if the mids are up for it we can make the 4 2 3 1 in to an attractive and effective system. 

Johnson was very good yesterday .. Breaking up play and marauding. BUtters did ok but I'd like to see Will in there instead.

The Centre defence was makeshift but Baird did well all things considered.

In attack you can see Vydra has something good to offer on the left IF there is a Nugent (or Martin or Bent) close by. 

Downside for me is that Christie isn't developing as a player. I thought we had something special in the way he can take on a man and has great physical presence but he is still the same player that signed. Makes bad decisions doesn't think enough on the go. I still rate him, but he is what he is and at present doesn't look like he is going to get any better. I feel the same about Butterfield. He can play a pass and does have some good control and awareness of what's going on around him but there is a hesitancy. For a Cm he isn't a dominating personality. He pulls out of tackles and dithers sometimes. 

I hope the experiment continues at Brighton and I hope Will has charged his batteries because he could really make this system tick if he's on his game. After that I hope the recruitment and contracts gang are burning midnight oil to find the players and balance the books 

5 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Obviously he hasn't. I'm talking about running the clock down like all other teams do. Nigel Cloughs team had a corner flag love in for the last 5 minutes of any game we were one up in.  

Cloughs teams had corner flag love after 5 mins.. He liked to defend that 0-0 we earned early doors..

19 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Been watching Derby since a schoolboy at the baseball ground, been reading the forum for ages and thought why not.,,.

got back from the match and spent 2 hrs getting this far!

dont want to be negative as there were lots of positives. Nearly considered posting COYR for 2000 posts before I dared criticism 

think most things have been covered already. Agree with the general consensus that the subs were wrong , anyways

The reason I posted tonight was when I'm honest , I don't expect Jonny to have the ball control and dribbling skills of messi, nor do expect Cyrus to be Azpilicueta or Vydra to gel into an already fragmented side. (These players were not singled out by tonight's game btw at all!!) I'm not gonna go through the whole side etc 

What I do expect though is if we decide to sit on a 1-0 lead, (showing our intentions to Preston that fact  - I.e a free kick into the box with only Bent in it!!?)

Is hard work.

lots of players seemed to have the attitude that others will pick up their slack in the last 5/10 mins. You can sit back deep and defend a slender lead I've no problem with that , but it requires harder work I'm afraid than a few players were prepared to give

First off, welcome Ruda. As regards your post I don't think it's so much a case of 'hard work' as responsibility. I tend not to criticise the team overly but I'd like to see players (especially the more senior ones) take a little more responsibility and to help marshall the younger team members. I don't think it's so much laziness when some of the lads leave the work for others, I think it's more a case of fear. Otherwise, great first post. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

What's so great about Derby over Preston?

Where were they when Mac came in? Where were they when Clough came in? Where we're they when Billy Davies came in? Where were they when George Burley came in? 

Between relegation from the PL the first time and 2017 what is our average position? 

Say what you like about the match but it's embarrassing seeing Derby fans making out they're some footballing giant and moaning about clubs that have more honours than Derby do. Why mock Preston? Didn't they beat Derby in the play offs in one of our rare "failure" seasons?

You're right. Some people need a reality check. 

Preston is a town on the river ribble with a football club who average 12 k at home and have won faff all for a thousand years .... 

Derby is a town on the river derwent with a football club who average 26k at hone and have won faff all for a thousand years. 

8 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Preston is a town on the river ribble with a football club who average 12 k at home and have won faff all for a thousand years .... 

Derby is a town on the river derwent with a football club who average 26k at hone and have won faff all for a thousand years. 

Why don't you be a bit more pithy and direct instead of sitting in the fence and going round the houses. 

On 07/03/2017 at 21:43, Gypsy Ram said:

Hopefully this is a reality check to those that think it was mathematically possible to achieve  a play off spot. Looking forward to next season, should be fun. 

I'm sorry - this bit does not compute. Please explain.

Archived