Blackburn Rovers v Derby County

AmericanRam

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm, glad to see Nugent in, bit/ very concerned about that defence, but what can you do. Interesting midfield, didn't think butterfield deserved to be dropped but there was an imbalance and he's the obvious one to go for Johnson to give it more balance. Do wonder then if that's a 4231 with Hughes in the hole, will be pleased if so

Not sure that Derby have the bottle to overcome the 'Mowbray effect' at Ewood Park. I expect the Rovers players to put in maximum effort in his first home game, to get on the front foot and test Derby, as most of the Rovers players should realise they are playing for their future.

Can't say that the same penny has dropped with Derby players though, given the ineffectual and inconsistent performances that we are again seeing at the 'business end' of the season. 

I yawned when Pearce, in interview, repeated how bemused they all were at the Villa defeat, citing 71% possession, and that Mac says 'possession is key'.

This appears to be bunkum, given the same stats applied against Burton (ohh, and we wasted 11 corners in that game. That game just reminded me of the Wembley debacle.

We are still dithering all over the park when nominally in possession of the ball, overplaying in our own half and wasting the 'final ball' repeatedly does count as possession... but last time I checked, points aren't awarded for that.

So, Burton held us off, and then Villa beat us, both having less than 30% possession...Leicester thrashed Liverpool last night with less than 30% possession (low possession and breakaway goals were a characteristic of their 2015-16 title-winning style). How exactly does our esteemed attacking coaching staff solve this malaise?

Teams know that they can give up the ball to Derby and wait to pick off an error and use the transition quickly and dramatically. We need to mix it up and be more direct when the opportunity arises. It's not necessarily hoofball to switch the ball long and quick...count the chances and goals, not the passes!

Yep, I am feeling jaded and disappointed at another dud season. Players too cosy, complacent, steeped in mediocrity,  lacking a spine in both meanings of the phrase. A top ten finish should be achievable before the clear-out. 

Nugent replacing Bent in the starting lineup, hope he makes it his night - we desperately need a fresh approach.

C O Y R

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Seeing as Blackburn will look to go long, is it Bradley holding?

I'd have dropped Hughes instead of Butterfield.

Didn't realise Baird was playing as well as Christie, ignore!

No De Sart is staying at CDM. Johnson in Butterfield place. 

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hm, glad to see Nugent in, bit/ very concerned about that defence, but what can you do. Interesting midfield, didn't think butterfield deserved to be dropped but there was an imbalance and he's the obvious one to go for Johnson to give it more balance. Do wonder then if that's a 4231 with Hughes in the hole, will be pleased if so

I half expected and predicted Butters would drop out. Not for form reasons but to shake it up a little. However, I saw De Sart has nailed on to be dropped also as he was practically a Villa player such was his passing at the weekend. Would have liked Bryson in. 

Time Hughes rejoined the party and looking forward to seeing how he, Nugent and Ince link up. 

It is proper wet wet wet here. I feel it in my toes. Sorry, clothes.

5 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I half expected and predicted Butters would drop out. Not for form reasons but to shake it up a little. However, I saw De Sart has nailed on to be dropped also as he was practically a Villa player such was his passing at the weekend. Would have liked Bryson in. 

Time Hughes rejoined the party and looking forward to seeing how he, Nugent and Ince link up. 

It is proper wet wet wet here. I feel it in my toes. Sorry, clothes.

Proper fan travelling up there, good on you mate, we'd better bloody well win ,I can't imagine it'd be a particularly nice journey back from there in this weather if we lose! I rate de sart myself, wasn't there at the weekend as tickets sold out, but thought he was really trying to make things happen against Burton so glad he's got another chance, his distribution is a major asset to the team, and I hope his lack of strength will be covered by Johnson. Looking forward to hearing how Nugent does as well, looked very intelligent in his sub appearances I've seen so far, think he'll link play up well.

Archived