The Chris Baird thread.

Stripperg-ram

6 hours ago, David said:

Challenge and ball in for Russell deserved a goal, so so close. 

For an old man who's legs have gone still gets himself up and down that right side.

Not knocking Christie but he can be massively frustrating at times trying to turn one too many defenders inside out or running straight into them, no frills Baird just gets the ball in the box. 

A player playing well after a run of games in his natural position, who would have thought it.

And he crosses as soon as he has opportunity to do so ! 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought he was okay at RB when he first showed up, but that incident with the east stand gave Christie a chance to stake a claim and he played really well, earnt the spot.

But, I think he's been unreal since he's come in. He's just a completely confident and intelligent operator at the back, never makes the wrong decision and never looks under pressure. Really classy moment last night was when he was when the ball was bouncing around in the box in the last few minutes, anyone else would have headed the ball away but he kept his cool and headed it right into the hands of Carson.

I mentioned after Reading away that we'd never replaced John Eustace, in that we didn't have someone no frills but completely reliable defensively. Baird is coming close to that at the moment, really valuable player.

I'd still fancy us starting Christie in some games though, like Wigan at home where we really needed someone stretching the game and their defence a bit more.

So pleased for Baird , he has showed why he has played at the top level for so long , his positional play is Excellent at this level, good in the air, reads the game well, very rarely beaten , good experience, and is part of a very good back 4 at this level, would not swap him for Christee at the moment, but the positive for Christee is, he will learn so much off a very good experience top level player in Chris Baird, if he watches and listens to him.

He's so much better now than when he first came 

Initially he seemed to struggle under the pressure of being captain, and even when we wasn't captain he used to spend too much time trying to tell all the others what to do. This wound the rest of them up and stopped him focussing on his own game. He really wasn't very good at this point.

Having had a run in the team, and knowing that he will be back in next game, has seen his confidence soar and consequently his performance. This has meant not only defensively , which is his bread and butter, but also up front, where he has a pleasingly no frills approach to making good passes and  to playing great balls into the box. The ball to Inch for our second against Forest was one of the best passes I have seen this season.

Also, well done to Mac as well. It might have been easier to shift Baird to left back recently but he didn't, allowing him to really flourish in his best position.

So  credit where credit is due. Many lesser players would have disappeared without trace by now. Baird, instead, is pulling off the very rare feat of going from pariah to crowd favourite in just over a season.

9 hours ago, Duracell said:

I don't think think he's ever been useless. It seems he played in a game where the whole team was poor and then crowd was getting on the team's back - he bit back, and with Derby fans being proper mardy creatures when they want to be, that was him done as far as many were concerned.

He looks more comfortable than he used to, but I don't see this night-and-day difference between how he played when he first started and now. I think it's just taken a run in the side for fans to notice what he's good at.

From memory it was with Clement as manager when he was trying to keep things tight. The players were under instruction to keep possession and not take risks hence a lot of sideways and backward passing. Baird got more than his fair share of stick and probably nievely, reacted to the crowd.  Soon became enemy number one in some people's eyes  so never really got a chance until recent under McClaren

Did anyone else spot Baird named as one of the laziest players Brede Hangeland has played with?

Surprised me, he has his faults but laziness never struck me as one of them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/3ba884ee-f70c-4d8e-93e2-4dfa81aaa0ad?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=lazyfootballers&intc_linkname=bbcthree_fac_article1

11 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Did anyone else spot Baird named as one of the laziest players Brede Hangeland has played with?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/3ba884ee-f70c-4d8e-93e2-4dfa81aaa0ad?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=lazyfootballers&intc_linkname=bbcthree_fac_article1

His idea of lazy seems to revolve entirely around how many weights people were lifting.

11 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Basically if someone didn't do gym work they were lazy ? bore off Hangeland.

Very happy for Chris Baird. Strikes me as thoroughly professional TEAM player

I have always reckoned that players should be picked in 2's or 3's ... Baird / Ince works and has done consistently. 

Christie might well work with a different wide forward than Tom but on what we have seen over the last few games is the full Tom Ince package and a lot of that is down to have Chris (reinforced concrete) Baird sitting behind him. 

57 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

There is 1 sort of player that we have over looked this past window in my opinion. And that's a scapegoat. With Keogh, Johnson, Baird all doing well we really need one in the squad. Maybe there's still time to recruit from within. 

Thought that Russell had been nominated for this? 

4 hours ago, cannable said:

What a ball last night for Ince.

Another cracker. Gets the ball to Ince early, gives him chance to have the defenders on the backfoot from the off.  I just don't think Christie sees those passes, I think he would rather run the ball to Ince.

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

Another cracker. Gets the ball to Ince early, gives him chance to have the defenders on the backfoot from the off.  I just don't think Christie sees those passes, I think he would rather run the ball to Ince.

Christie might struggle to get back in now. Altho he is abit pacier than Baird which can be useful sometimes.

Archived