The Chris Baird thread.

Stripperg-ram

On 1/28/2017 at 08:13, Stripperg-ram said:

Come on.

Lets square things up here a bit. 

Fairs fair.

When he first came, there was barely anyone who said anything good about him.  And that was probably because he was useless. (although we did have him playing in more positions than's in the karma sutra!)

But props where props is due, he's been really good of late. Strong in the tackle, along with Pearce has made our back 4 much stronger, and yes 'he's not as good as Christie going forward', but he's currently making the full back position his own.

So I just wanted to say, Well done Chris, it's not easy having a season of poor games and cameos and then to come back and play well and consistently. 

Fair dooz!!

Christopher Baird is a football gen-ius. :mellow:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Completely uninterested in the gym and cardio workouts. Whenever they were doing cardio or were in the gym he would go and ask the coach, "When can we go play football?"

Baird according to Brede Hangeland (from that BBC3 article). 

I mean, I really don't have a problem with a professional footballer wanting to play football, maybe I'm just old fashioned. Personally I really can't be arsed with the gym culture that is perpetuating our society, some proper meatheads in places like that that judge you entirely on how much you can 'bench'. Although obviously it's good that people are more bothered with their fitness and health. 

20 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Another cracker. Gets the ball to Ince early, gives him chance to have the defenders on the backfoot from the off.  I just don't think Christie sees those passes, I think he would rather run the ball to Ince.

If Christie had the ball in Baird's position he would still be dancing around now without realising there was no one left in the ground and no football near him :ph34r:

We dont have a player like Baird at left back, and im all for having the left full back bomb on, and the other offer a bit more defensively not getting caught out. Thats as good a reason as any to have Baird keep his place. That and his relationship with Ince is top notch.

On 1/28/2017 at 00:24, GenBr said:

He is a much better defender than Christie and he actually puts some pretty good passes together every now and again. Baird might struggle with pacy opponents, but in my eyes he has earned his place in the starting 11 over "run into a blind alley and don't bother trying to tackle anyone" Christie.

Overly harsh and dismissive of some of christies performances this season which have been champions league level stuff. Baird has been a mini revelation for sure who deserves to hold his spot (especially for his link work with Ince) but let's not get carried away: Christie is a fantastic player who is prob equal to him defensively and massively superior going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Overly harsh and dismissive of some of christies performances this season which have been champions league level stuff. Baird has been a mini revelation for sure who deserves to hold his spot (especially for his link work with Ince) but let's not get carried away: Christie is a fantastic player who is prob equal to him defensively and massively superior going forward. 

Champions League level? He had a terrible start to the season until the Wednesday game, hence the crowd's response to him in the first few months and his goal celebration thereafter. 

He's a good rb on his day but CL? Not a chance. 

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

He has never performed at a Champions League level - never mind in this season. Maybe you mean league cup level or one of the smaller trophies?

I definitely do not agree they are equal defensively. Baird might struggle more with pace, but his positional sense, composure and overall defensive ability is far superior to that of Christie's. 

Perhaps Christie is better going forward, but I would still rather have Baird from this perspective, because at least his attacking forays actually benefit us - he has made at least 2 assists already this season. Cyrus usually just puts his head down and dribbles it into the keepers waiting arms or smashes a cross into the first man.

10 hours ago, Alex W said:

Champions League level? He had a terrible start to the season until the Wednesday game, hence the crowd's response to him in the first few months and his goal celebration thereafter. 

He's a good rb on his day but CL? Not a chance. 

To be fair Celtic are in the champions league - he might just scrape into their team.

11 hours ago, Ninos said:

Christie, Champions League level?!

Well he did score against Gibraltar I suppose...

Baird has surprised me, from the player l saw get sent off in his debut against Reading in the cup. He's a better defender than Christie and, how can I put this...he's more of an intelligent footballer..

I don't think Cyrus is very ******* bright...ok...he'll beat a player then instead of crossing the ball will turn back and try to beat him again...then lose the ball. Faff's around too much, too indecisive, and when he does cross the thing invariably he's not looked up and picked out a team mate...

Easy to criticise from the stands though. 

Try's too hard at times possibly...

Good stand in for Christie who has ultimately become a favourite against most people's initial thoughts. He compliments Ince really well and I recall ince saying this.

As previously stated in this thread Christie gives a more attacking option but tends to beat his man then try and beat him again and not always link to ince so well.

All that said Baird is not the long term future.

Hopefully Christie has been watching and will come back stronger, better and wiser.

19 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Christie, Champions League level?!

Well he did score against Gibraltar I suppose...

Baird has surprised me, from the player l saw get sent off in his debut against Reading in the cup. He's a better defender than Christie and, how can I put this...he's more of an intelligent footballer..

I don't think Cyrus is very ******* bright...ok...he'll beat a player then instead of crossing the ball will turn back and try to beat him again...then lose the ball. Faff's around too much, too indecisive, and when he does cross the thing invariably he's not looked up and picked out a team mate...

Easy to criticise from the stands though. 

Try's too hard at times possibly...

Maybe Baird surprises you by not being Stephen Warnock?

I prefer a Cyrus from an entertainment perspective and I like him longer term as a good player, but that right wing is unshakable for now. The pass from Baird to Ince at Ipswich was excellent in the delivery, the run and the understanding between them. Lush.

Archived