Leeds United v Derby County (A) - Matchday Thread

RamsPolls

It is no coincidence that we broke the clean sheet record with Keogh and Pearce as our centre backs. Pearce brings a calmness to proceedings which rubs off on Keogh. Shackell is negative, passes his teammates into trouble and has a tendency to panic and this too rubs off on Keogh. In short, Keogh is a better player with Pearce alongside him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SkeggyRam said:

Spot on, roofe and doukara didn't have to go in there own half all night, attacking fullbacks big part of the way we play

We've been missing a fit Forsyth for a season and a half now. Hopefully he can come back like he was 3 years ago.

Max Lowe looked promising too, we've been unfortunate with injuries. Big month coming up, hopefully scrape into play offs and take our chances there.  

Well I'm back by 10pm because this is the closest ground I go to all season. And when we play and lose like that, it's the worst. I have to face that lot every day of the week.

If the players don't know that they haven't performed then we are in trouble - too lightweight, too many missed passes, not enough skill and bottle, two fulI backs that had to concentrate on defending, not enough movement. I could go on. 

I will mutter three things. We were better in the second half (almost impossible not to be); the fans there were good and mostly supportive; if you were wearing a 'knicks' bobble hat, why do you hate Jamie Hanson so much? He's a young lad, playing out of position, up against two players quicker than him and probably more skillful, had no support from Camara, and yet he never stopped trying to do his best to stem the flow of attacks, and in the second half saved a certain goal. From minute one you were on his case. Give him some support son, however useless you might think he is.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Best team won

miles better than us and i wish that gary monk fella was our manager. How he's got absolute toss like leeds united playing like barcelona is a good effort

drunkenly bet the girlfriend £50 that nugent would score when he cane on... so jokes on me  

Pay her back In kind

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Agree.

Tonight also showed some promising kid from Borough isn't as comfortable in the middle as Johnson was against a team like Leeds. Bryson is lost without Martin, him and Johnson didn't work further forward but neither did Hughes as a pairing, just didn't link with anyone cocnsistently. Ramage made the point Camara was hauled off but got no service, neither did Bent in truth.

Shackell doesn't move us forward quickly either, you could pick holes in so much. Looked slightly better balance start of 2nd half but lost composure and silly petulant fouls crept in.

One to consign to the rubbish bin, nobody can sugar coat tonight but just got to move on to Reading. 

C.O.Y.R

Aye, lots of good points in there. Leeds pressed high as a 4 and asked us to pass through them. We couldn't.  Ultimately we ended up passing back to Carson who either lumped it out or asked Bent / Camera / Ince to challenge a high ball against their back 4. 

Bad night collectively, next up Reading where every game is becoming a must win. We are due one at home v them. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Monk had a whole transfer window to figure out what he needed. Leeds don't have the strongest XI, but they look really balanced which goes a long way.

They had a target man, we didn't. They had a proper midfield trio consisting of a holding player (Bridcutt), a linking midfielder (Vieira) and a proper creative attacking midfield who can carry the ball (Hernandez).

Compare that to De Sart, Johnson, Bryson and Bent. No waonder they completely dominated the centre of the pitch.

Then we had a League One left-back and left-winger. They had Berardi and Doukara, miles better.

That starting XI tonight would struggle to stay in the Championship.

We were missing Martin, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Forsyth, Christie, Pearce and Russell from our bext XI. Eight players! Some perspective needed there.

Yeah but then again monk also didnt have an £8million player to bring on at half time ... 

have some perspective 

17 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

It is no coincidence that we broke the clean sheet record with Keogh and Pearce as our centre backs. Pearce brings a calmness to proceedings which rubs off on Keogh. Shackell is negative, passes his teammates into trouble and has a tendency to panic and this too rubs off on Keogh. In short, Keogh is a better player with Pearce alongside him.

Shackell would probably be better with someone else too but there were always bigger problems than the centre half pairing in fairness.

15 minutes ago, Gritters said:

After watching the match tonight there is no need to worry about leeds in the play-offs we are better than them. If we played our best side. 

Better than them?! Based on what?! They are multiple places ahead of us in the league, they totally outplayed us tonight with 4 of their better players out either injured or suspended, including in my opinion the best centre half in the league in Jansson. They were playing a youngster at right back who hadn't played all season, and a right back at centre back! Totally deluded so you are.

Just now, Heanor town ram said:

Sorry all but Leeds out fought us and outplayed us. McLaren is not a patch on that Monk at Leeds.

Welcome to the forum Heanor. :thumbsup: Monk done his homework on us, saw we were weak at left back in particular and respect to him for that, but I'll wait until he's putting out a side when a good half dozen of his first choice are injured before I come to a conclusion who's better. Think your being a bit harsh on McClaren. 

I can't see any way back after the performance. Even if CHRIS MARTIN comes back it won't make a damn bit of difference. The biggest problem we have is the short sightedness of our manager. Time and time again his one dimensional tactics are costing us and until we improve our managerial setup - we ain't going up. Vydra, Bent, Camara - all should be listed. Is Nugent the answer?... Not on today's evidence. The midfield ALL need replacing. Cash in on Will while he still has some value. Give Bradley Johnson away - terrible player. Ship Hanson back to the under 15's or wherever he came from and put Shackell in a box somewhere.

I'm going to bed embarrassed tonight. Whether I'll wake up a Derby supporter in the morning... I just don't know anymore.

The big winners tonight were Pearce, Russell and Hughes. Their replacements showed exactly why they've been on the bench for our winning run.

Camara offered no defensive protection - if you saw the West Brom game this shouldn't have come as a surprise to you as it's exactly what happened there as well. Russell must have been laughing his ass off.

Shackell lost his man so many times and is absolutely hopeless with the ball at his feet - two things we know Pearce is better than him at.

Hughes lorded over our midfield in that second half, terrible decision to bench him.

I can see why McClaren went with the team he did but to be honest it was the weak decision. Saying 'oh they played well, they can keep their shirts' is a poor exuse for keeping better players on the bench, especially when they are proven quality like Hughes and Pearce.

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Welcome to the forum Heanor. :thumbsup: Monk done his homework on us, saw we were weak at left back in particular and respect to him for that, but I'll wait until he's putting out a side when a good half dozen of his first choice are injured before I come to a conclusion who's better. Think your being a bit harsh on McClaren. 

Aye, thanks for the welcome, tbf to them, they had their main CB missing and a young lad at right back so we should have been able to exploit that, we should have had the better of midfield also, i mean we have the more experienced side but Monk set them up better...

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

I can't see any way back after the performance. Even if CHRIS MARTIN comes back it won't make a damn bit of difference. The biggest problem we have is the short sightedness of our manager. Time and time again his one dimensional tactics are costing us and until we improve our managerial setup - we ain't going up. Vydra, Bent, Camara - all should be listed. Is Nugent the answer?... Not on today's evidence. The midfield ALL need replacing. Cash in on Will while he still has some value. Give Bradley Johnson away - terrible player. Ship Hanson back to the under 15's or wherever he came from and put Shackell in a box somewhere.

I'm going to bed embarrassed tonight. Whether I'll wake up a Derby supporter in the morning... I just don't know anymore.

Dear me what a drama llama you are. Off you go lovey.

Mac's fault for getting that lot up to 7th? Mac's fault for buying them? Get a grip.

Archived