Leeds United v Derby County (A) - Matchday Thread

RamsPolls

Leeds United v Derby County - 13/01/17 - Elland Road - 7:45 Kick off. 

Build up

Well... What a result that was yesterday against WBA. Unbelievable passion & commitment shown by every single one of the lads. To go 1-0 behind to a premier league side & to respond in the manner that we did was top quality! The funniest thing ever is Tony Pulis' post match interview, if you haven't seen it, go and watch it here - 

Top quality result by the lads.

In regards to Leeds - They are in very good form themselves. Unbeaten in the past 5 games. Beating the likes of Reading, Brentford, Preston & Rotherham, Also drawing 1-1 with Villa at Elland road. They haven't played their FA cup game yet. They play tomorrow night (Monday 9/01) against Cambridge town. 

Everyone knows that this isn't the Leeds team of the past 6/7 years. These are now serious promotion contenders under Gary Monk. They are very good going forward and especially strong in midfield. We'll need to be on the top of our game to get a good result out of this game.

Teams

Hopefully we will be welcoming back Will Hughes to the team on Friday night. There's no reason that I'm aware that he won't be involved in the starting XI. I presume Bryson will keep his starting position as Butterfield is out suspended still. The main thing to watch out for in the starting XI will be the left wing position... Abdoul Camara was unbelievable yesterday at WBA. He was very effective all afternoon, hugging the touch line all game & causing Craig Dawson all sorts of problems. For me he HAS to start Friday night, Russell hasn't been having a massive impact on games in the past couple of months. After Camara has had a decent game against a very good WBA game, he will be bouncing with confidence & should have earned himself a starting position. Another headache for Mac will be the centre defensive mid position, Bradley Johnson has been playing very very well in the league there in recent games, but after De Sart has come in and had an excellent game v WBA, he will have a hard decision on who to play. 

I can't imagine the Leeds team will be one so different to the starting XI who beat Rotherham 3-0 on 02/01. Chris Wood loves a goal against us, although he didn't score when they came here in October, he always plays well against us. Their main threat seems to be Pablo Hernandez, once of Swansea city. If Bradley/Julien can keep him quiet in behind Chris Wood. We should be able to build on that, but it's still going to be a very difficult game non the less.

Prediction - Leeds 1-2 Derby

UP THE RAMS! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

We were so much better without Butterfield slowing the game down. Camara was superb aswell. I wouldn't change a thing. 

Would you not swap Bryson for Hughes? 

Don't feel Bryson did a massive amount personally.

I think Hughes will come straight back in rightly or wrongly but I would welcome that change.

Leeds are doing amazingly well under Monk and on the face of it the game looks like being a tough one but I think we have a side capable of absorbing pressure and nicking goals from nothing at times.

Ok so all didn't go to plan at Norwich but if we can stick to the game plan, keep our discipline and get back on track then we can win this game.

So glad it's on Sky. I can watch it in comfort, have a few beers and a takeaway and a cheeky bet and still have change left over from the 37 quid ticket price.

Well done LUFC on making the game so easy to avoid.

It's on Sky and they still want 37 quid?

Zero business sense. It may be semantics but I can be in Leeds in under an hour and maybe at 25 ish quid I may have gone but 37? Principle.

The last time I was Elland Road was sat with the Austrians watching our U21's come from a goal down to beat England 2-1 about 10 years back.

Won't be going this time though.

Come on you Rams!!

14 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

We were so much better without Butterfield slowing the game down. Camara was superb aswell. I wouldn't change a thing. 

Not even Hughes for Bryson?

I would hope we can sign a LB by then too. 

Leeds will have over 50 hours less recovery time than us going into this game because of their cup tie with Cambridge tomorrow night. It might not count for much as we've not had the luxury of being able to rest players (apart from Hughes, and not by choice), but it's worth noting.

Would be crazy to drop Pearce after our defence has been so good recently. Shackell showed yesterday how he is great when a team are putting lots of crosses in. But he has shown plenty of times in the past how he is poor when given time on the ball. If we have no LB fit though might have to go with Keough as a full back.

Bradley must still be first choice at DM, unless he takes Butters place and De Sart comes in. Hughes starts for sure, just need to decide who plays next to him: Butters, Brad or Brys.

I think Russell will probably start but Camara could be worth a go.

Carson

Baird    Keogh     Pearce    Russell

De Sart

Hughes          Johnson

Ince                                    Camara

Bent

2 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Carson

Baird    Keogh     Pearce    Russell

De Sart

Hughes          Johnson

Ince                                    Camara

Bent

Russell left back - f me you're brave!!!

Very difficult call to make on the back line for this one, also who knows what signings we may have in by then but I'd be potentially looking at something like this

Carson

Baird Pearce Shackell Hanson/Baird and keogh at RB

De sart 

Hughes Johnson

Ince Martin/Nugent/Bent/Vydra:lol: Camara

Seriously god knows what the team could be for this, at least it keeps Leeds guessing

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Russell left back - f me you're brave!!!

Football visionary.

Hanson has never really impressed me playing full back he always looks uncomfortable and too slow. I think Camara and Russell with Johnson on that side too could adequately defend. Baird won't go forward and has recently been slotting into a 3 at the back with the centre halves allowing the left back to get forward, Hanson won't do that.

And Russell has been pretty poor on the wing and the teasing behind him getting in the team is defensive work so..

Carson
Baird Keogh Pearce Shackell
                De Sart
       Hughes     Johnson
Ince                           Camara
                Bent

Shackell can play left back, we've seen him there before. It would allow us to play Camara on the wing without having to worry too much about his defensive vulnerabilities.

It might free him up in the same way that Baird has given freedom to Ince on the right.

11 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Football visionary.

Hanson has never really impressed me playing full back he always looks uncomfortable and too slow. I think Camara and Russell with Johnson on that side too could adequately defend. Baird won't go forward and has recently been slotting into a 3 at the back with the centre halves allowing the left back to get forward, Hanson won't do that.

And Russell has been pretty poor on the wing and the teasing behind him getting in the team is defensive work so..

Still think it'd be very brave.

Anya's covered full back a few times but I don't think JR ever has. It's also away against a decent side, and I'd worry about havin Anya covering LB!

Archived