Leeds United v Derby County (A) - Matchday Thread

RamsPolls

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well that was a struggle - reading 90 pages of mainly dross that is. Nearly as painful as tonight's game! 

It was one of those evenings that tests your commitment as a fan. Leeds is a dragon's den of a ground with unhelpful staff, aggressive and very loud fans and not the best of views.  We needed some passion on the pitch to keep us warm but we got a lacklustre performance and a good pasting. 1-0 flattered us and yet I still thought we might nick one and ruin their near perfect evening.

I'm a bit surprised that most here blamed us entirely for the poor performance.  I thought Leeds were excellent, their midfield outstanding. Monk has them playing really well and you wouldn't know they had key players missing. Our faults have been well documented and over-dramatised in the preceding pages but we set off with an unbalanced team and gave the ball away far too cheaply throughout. When we did have the ball we were so slow to make use of it that Leeds had time on their hands to re-group. My personal scapegoats tonight are led by Shackell who offers no encouragement to others, no positive movement and continuously puts others under pressure because of this. Poor Hanson, totally mismatched against their right midfield  (he was facing 3 on 1 on several occasions) with no help from Camara (who was as poor tonight as he was bright against WBA) but he never gave up or hid away, more than I can say for other more experienced players (Bryson anybody? ) Bent could have done more in the way of looking for the ball too and Vydra - what is the point of playing him? I would rather give Vernam a run, or Weimann or anyman.

Talking of scapegoats it was good to see a very nattilly  turned out Jacob Butterfield and his glamorous girlfriend in with the away fans. He did leave just before the end and he wasn't smiling - I  don't know why as he'll walk back into the team after tonight!

On the more positive side , Will Hughes, obviously not fit but still our most creative player, Ince mercilessly picked on by the Leeds fans but worked so hard all match, Keogh too. De Sart nowhere near as effective as last week but some good touches - he's not match fit and Nugent so obviously isn't either. Bradley out next week.  Carson some good saves and some dodgy kicking under pressure, Baird likewise a mix of good and bad. 

I thought our fans tried to encourage the team but we were drowned out by the home fans. This was particularly noticeable about 15 minutes into the second half when we had been at our brightest but three and a half sides of the ground were chanting and waving their scarves and it seemed to visibly lift the Leeds players and they soon gained the upper hand again . 

Blooming Leeds stewards deserve a particular mention for being the most po-faced, miserable lot I ever encounter at away matches (and I say that with apologies to all my Leeds friends and family who I find the exact opposite of that!) Smile for goodness sake you've just robbed me of 37 quid!

And if I wasn't already fed up enough this evening I get home to find me and my other half plastered all over Facebook after being captured by Sky cameras at the match. It can only get better!

Just for the record - my dross was only pretend x

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gobby ***** Leeds Angie, always have been.

But you're right they deserved the 3 points tonight, as much as it sticks in my crawl to say it.

We've had a good run against them..10 wins on the bounce was unbelievable...Jeff.

Gary Monk's a cocky **** but he's the best thing that's happened to them in a long time. 

It's only January, we'll be top 6 come May.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I know. Some of you want to try watching York City for a good few years and see how you feel then. :lol:;)

Tonight was world class when you think about some of the cack I've seen. :)

Tony we ain't York City.... it's like saying to Manure fans oh poor dears you ain't won the league for 3 year's try being a Derby fan!

5 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Football is a team game. I'm not the manager. And Derby County played far better football before Ince and Bent arrived. I'd like Derby County to move forward and I believe they will play better football without these players. Yes I think selling Ince and Bent is a good bit of business.

Real Madrid should sell ronaldo because they played better football before he arrived. Far better with fat ronaldo & zidaine 

the only way we'd see better football that we do now is if we got a time machine back to 73 or jim smiths side 

selling ince our best player isnt the answer 

It'll be interesting to see how we react to this, not the result but more the manner of the defeat. Leeds certainly looked a decent team but I wonder how much of that was due to us being poor and having the wrong players in the wrong positions. One thing that stood out was that without Hughes and Butterfield our ball retention was nonexistent which meant Leeds just kept coming back at us which they did well particularly down the flanks where Hanson was left exposed. I do think some perspective is needed here though yes we were poor and Leeds were good but it was one game and we were missing a fully fit Hughes and Butterfield. On a separate point the Leeds love in on sky was nothing short of embarrassing it's almost like since celino threatened not to let the sky cameras in they have an agreement that the commentary team, pundits and production team have to give Leeds a rim job whenever they film there.

Worst thing about that match was Leeds made it hard to hate them. Monk seems pretty decent bloke and he's assembled a good team from a collection of either young or supposedly average players. They didn't even seem to have any players you could hate either.

Not even sure that Monk will get sacked as soon as they have a small run of bad form now they have a joint owner.

10 hours ago, GenBr said:

After the game Steve said there werent any changes he could make from wba (Butters suspended, Hughes just back from injury, all lbs injured, rb injured), so played the same team after they did so well last game out.

Hopefully the midfield at least will be semi back to normal next game.

One look at the bench tells you he could have made changes... Pearce, hughes, nugent, russell weimann. Ok hughes not fit to start is a big loss. But it's odd how players like de sart who had rave reviews at wba were so poor against leeds . Maybe just not hs sort of game.

Not sour grapes here, as I thought Leeds were very good and well worthy of the victory but...

Really annoyed that we have another suspension for 2 nothingness challenges and yet a leg breaker of a challenge on Hughes goes unpunished.

Refs are too willing to give out silly yellow cards but get the big decisions wrong.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sour grapes here, as I thought Leeds were very good and well worthy of the victory but...

Really annoyed that we have another suspension for 2 nothingness challenges and yet a leg breaker of a challenge on Hughes goes unpunished.

Refs are too willing to give out silly yellow cards but get the big decisions wrong.

That was a bad tackle on Hughes wasn't it. 

10 hours ago, Davide said:

Never seen a striker as poor as Nugent? Ive seen him play against Derby and he scores goals..in fact almost 150 career goals I think...if you are judging him on his performance today- he only had 20 or so minutes then no one can take your post seriously. He didn't have any service and we created nothing...but either way how can you judge a player after a few minutes in his first match with the team playing badly? You're as bad as the people who sit behind me in the east stand- every week it was bloody Dawkins bloody Keogh....and bloody Camara (after his first 5 minute debut).

Hughes is quality. His intelligence is way beyond his years. Yours isn't. 

I've run out of likes, but that is worth the effort of writing one. Lots of stupidity on show from the fans last night.

Nuge looked not match fit (surprise) and desperate to do well. As for anyone who can't see how good Hughes is well they need to stop being a football fan they're wasting their time!

DCFC-JaN1 ... Virus 

Also known as Ram Flue, January Meltdown, Macitis

diagnosis to be confirmed pending results from Independant labs in Newcastle and Reading 

Symptoms : loss of touch, General malaise, inability to look forward, failure to play short passes, physical weakness, loss of timing, propensity to play head tennis. Loss of midfield presence and no signs of penetration except for an Ince or two :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes a horrible challenge on Hughes not long after he came on - no surprise that.

Archived