Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

Was there a bit of a rumble after the game tonight?

We were over at the Travelodge listening to Stevie Mac on Radio Derby and there were cop cars and ambulances everywhere - and they held the Dirties coaches up instead of running them out of Dodge.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

All this "what does Fifa say?" to find out what foot Anya prefers... 

Watch the bloody games, he's left footed. Anyone can see that. 

95% sure he is right footed which is why he kept coming inside today. The Watford fans on futhead said he is right footed too, whilst the transfer market site says he is two-footed. I suppose it's good that we are moaning about things like this because it means that everyone's satisfied with the performance today in comparison to previous performances

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And the challenge on Anya?

From the back of the North Stand, I thought he got the ball perfectly cleanly, then his momentum took him into Anya.

14 minutes ago, Tombo said:

All this "what does Fifa say?" to find out what foot Anya prefers... 

Watch the bloody games, he's left footed. Anyone can see that. 

Having watched the bloody games, I can confirm that he's genuinely two-footed.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

From the back of the North Stand, I thought he got the ball perfectly cleanly, then his momentum took him into Anya.

They had a few like that, won the ball clean but made sure the man felt it.

10 years ago we wouldn't have batted an eyelid, now we want a free kick!

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I thought that the ref was very much ok today. A couple of people afterwards sad that he was favouring Leeds, but the offside was offside, and both bookings were warranted. I actually thought that Will was in danger of getting sent off with a couple of robust challenges after his booking, and that Keogh had a 'ball-to-hand' moment near the end - but both went in our favour.

I don't think that the word "robust" has any place on this forum. Just use a simple word I can understand like "good" or "strong" or "perfunctory". You're just so snooty.

Carson 5 - didn't do much, distribution a bit iffy

Christie 3 - Not his day at all. Capable of so much more

Keogh 7 - Did what he always does, he led from the back and took no crap

Pearce 7 - Even beat his man once. He's like Shackell, only with a good attitude and without the mard.

Lowe - 6 - Positioning was all over the show but you know when he had the ball he always did something. And when his positioning was right, he always made the tackle. Just got caught out a lot.

Johnson - 8 My MOTM, ran the show. Like Thorne without the passing

Hughes 8 - Close runner for MOTM. Did what Will Hughes does. Almost a cliche now. Passed well, stuck a tackle in well for someone his size, always wanted the ball etc etc... You know the drill by now.

Butterfield - 7 Almost as good as Hughes. This game was won in midfield really. A key reason that we got in their half and STAYED there. The man who would take the ball, drive forward, and put the play back into the attacking third.

Ince - 6 Hit and miss. Being harshly treated by fans post-game in their valuations of his performances. Think people just have a pre-concieved idea of how he will perform. Or they just listen to Radio Derby too much.

Anya - 5 Wasn't too impressed with him today. Think he just got crowded out too much. Wasn't his game really.

Vydra 6 - Just not doing what he needs to be doing from that position. He does what he does well, he just doesn't provide any link up play for the player who's supposed to lead the line.

Subs: Russell 7- Not sure if this was a forced sub but it was a good one. Where Anya was ineffective, Russell was effective. Plus scoring the only goal of the game helps. Baird and Bryson 6- both just held the fort and defended for their lives. Didn't do much but what could they do?

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Vydra is going to have to adapt his game big time if he wants to succeed in that forward role. He's not coming short for it at all, we can't seem to get our midfielders beyond theirs without that ball sticking.

Agree with this. Vydra's total lack of movement was apparent and he was often getting in the way of Hughes who was superb today. Vydra did ok but he was the weak link today and needs to improve. Butterfield needs to work on keeping shots low and he'll get a few this season. Overall though I thought first half we were excellent, totally dominated the half but the lack of clear scoring opportunities created was and is a worry. Green had nothing to do. I'm certain this will work itself out though.

Second half we did ok but tired badly and nearly paid the price but everyone to a man put in such a shift that it's understandable. Had we have made more chances and scored another then it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.  

Just a real relief to get the hoodoo out of the way and play well to boot. Easily our best performance at home in my opinion. I actually enjoyed it for the first time this season which is what it's all about.

Hope the injury to Anya is not too serious also.

Finally, a home win. Welcome back Mr McLaren and well done.

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I don't think that the word "robust" has any place on this forum. Just use a simple word I can understand like "good" or "strong" or "perfunctory". You're just so snooty.

Snooty?

I'm peremptory, and don't you forget it.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think Vydra suits the way McClaren wants to play. He has to come short, otherwise we're stuck with the same problem of not getting players through the lines and in space.

Hughes and Butterfield both like to dictate while Johnson was holding back. We had very little threat going forward through the middle and gaping hole in the number ten position.

Our best play came when either Johnson or Hughes picked the ball from deep, played a one-two and then drove into the space. But doing that is risky, and also hard to pull off.

Vydra needs to learn to come short, or we're going to have the same problem re Darren Bent. Admittedly he works much harder and is a lot quicker, but the point still stands.

I thought we controlled proceedings without threatening too much. Vydra could have scored in the first half, but then they should have scored from a free header with the corner.

Second half we were the better team until we scored, then Leeds had us pinned back and may see themselves unfortunate not to get a point after hitting the post.

All through Pearson's tenure you did nothing but whine like a baby - the formation wasn't right. we didn't have the right personnel for a 4-4-2, Mel was wrecking the club with his naivety and poorly-considered appointments, yada, yada, yada.

Now we have McClaren back and only one game into his current stint, here you are, bitching again. We're toothless, Vydra can't play 4-3-3, we were lucky to get a draw, they should have scored and so on, ad feckin nauseam. Where is this 'insight' when we don't get the result we deserve, when we lose a game we could or should have drawn or won, when the sides we play ride their luck and get a result their performance doesn't warrant? 

How about you save your 'insights', look to see how we go over a period of games and just get behind the team, the manager and the owners you claim to support? There'll be plenty of opportunities for you to moan should things not improve, of that I'm pretty certain. As it is, 7 points from a possible 12 since Pearson was suspended seems like a pretty fair return to me and but for the late Reading goal it would be form that would see us comfortably into the play-offs were it maintained. As such, your incessant doom and gloom seems a tad melodramatic at very best.

Didn't go to the match today it sounds like another step in the right direction. Delighted for Russell and Johnson gievn some of the stick they gt on here (I'm not innocent of this charge). Bring on Brentford and hopefully no more Olsson when he's fit - Lowe is in the driving seat at left back now.

What's this about?

I went today. For me the 3pts was what we needed more than anything and that's what we got. That 6 minutes of injury time seemed to go on forever. I think Leeds got their tactics wrong. They came for a 0-0 and didn't start playing until we scored. I think if they had been more positive we could have been in trouble. Not sure why Vydra is getting some stick. He had no service at all. I thought Pearce played well, probably my man of the match for the Rams, but I think we had the little bit of luck today that we haven't had in recent matches. It's a start, but lots of room for improvement. Brentford will be another big test on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, Frogram said:

"We were tired in the second half " , if this was true then I genuinely don't understand how a modern footballer can be tired after playing for  60 or 70 minutes- are the fitness coaches any good ?

You would have thought so but we put more effort in today's game than we have in any other game this season. We will get used to it as the season goes on. The key to success is not running needlessly like a number of our players did today but timing when we press, which will save energy. This will come with time though.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I thought that the ref was very much ok today. A couple of people afterwards sad that he was favouring Leeds, but the offside was offside, and both bookings were warranted. I actually thought that Will was in danger of getting sent off with a couple of robust challenges after his booking, and that Keogh had a 'ball-to-hand' moment near the end - but both went in our favour.

Eddie you are too sensible .. But yes you're right.

I did get a bit narked when Johnson was penalised for leaping for a header and really did everything he could not to climb up his marker. I also think the ref missed a fair amount of impeding / holding but if I was a Leeds fan I am sure they would have just the same level of criticism but I am partisan and every challenge we make is obviously fair or just tough while theirs are obviously anything from dirty, lucky or the refs rubbish :whistle: .... ... I do think the offside was marginal and that it would have been a beautiful goal if it had been given but .. Yep he didn't do a bad job

On 14/10/2016 at 16:39, 1967Ram said:

First home game of the season tomorrow for my Son and I. Last one we went to? Bolton at home last season. So if we win tomorrow don't go giving Mac all the praise!! COYR

We worked our magic!! Just got home. 385 mile round trip. And a WIN.

COYR

Archived