Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

Always amazed how quiet the forum goes when we win/it all goes to plan.....it's as if some posters thrive on misery?.....there's not enough activity on here to keep me busy tonight!

re the game though,it was hard to really pick out a,Derby player for real criticism today,everyone put a,shift in and they all seemed as energised as,we have been by the return of the Mac.

Couldn't have been more pleased to have Russell scoring the winner either???

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of points from me:

Hughes has grown into a fine off the ball player. Uses his intelligence to get his tackles in, of which he seems to be going into harder than ever. Seemed to give others around more bollockings than he usually does too. Captain material. Shame we might not see it.

Johnson was brilliant. Not perfect, but he was challenging Wood in the air from the goal kicks, leaving Keogh and Pearce free to wipe things up behind him. Won most of those duels, and if he didn't he made sure Wood couldn't do anything with the headers he was winning. Obviously lacking confidence, but he started demanding the ball in more and more dangerous positions as the game went on from the centre backs. Seem to know where the full backs were before receiving the ball and was looking to play forward when he could.

Vydra makes some brilliant runs, mostly ignored, but if he could mix up his in behind runs with hold up play at the right time then he's an upgrade on Martin for me. Largely because of his pace.

Lowe for me was poor. Lost the ball early and chased to get it back, but Anya was already doing that leaving gaps in behind. Probably just keen to make by his mistake, but he let runners in behind him numerous times in the first half. Much better second half defensively. However, he obviously is a very good player. Very good on the ball, very calm and looked good defending one on ones. Some delightfully low crosses too. Think Schteve will make him into a fine player.

Just my very amateur observations. I'm probably no better then G.Neville though. But then I haven't got a fancy touch screen and a full rerun to go off. Which reminds me, Vydra looked offside to me.

I think the differing views on the performance of Vydra is interesting. One poster was unhappy and perplexed at the criticism of his game today by a few of us, myself included. I didn't intend to criticise him but simply i'm commenting on what I think I saw from him. I thought he had a decent game but with a little more movement he could make himself more an available option than he is currently.

He made a couple of decent runs which he got on the end of and a couple of runs (including the offside 'goal') in the second half which he was unlucky with. I am struggling to see the brilliant runs that Norman is alluding to although i'm not doubting Norman at all. I too am not an expert but was just commenting on what I saw today which was Vydra not really running across the defence and pulling defenders out of position . He's one of these players I think that just loves to run into space towards goal and his movement across the box is pretty limited and I agree, we don't play to his strengths by and large, however he does need to think a bit more about how he can get himself more involved.

I'm happy with him though. He is a goalscorer and still needs the service.

54 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Always amazed how quiet the forum goes when we win/it all goes to plan.....it's as if some posters thrive on misery?.....there's not enough activity on here to keep me busy tonight!

re the game though,it was hard to really pick out a,Derby player for real criticism today,everyone put a,shift in and they all seemed as energised as,we have been by the return of the Mac.

Was just thinking exactly the same thing. The compulsive whiners can't help themselves but the 'casuals' are nowhere to be seen!

Having admitedly not watched the rams much this season (no season ticket for the first time in 20 years)

I do like what I see from Vydra but we have to use him better, and I like Max Lowe, very good for a guy making his 2nd or 3rd ever start. He just needs games, and with our other LBs injured this is a perfect opportunity to give him good championship experience.

Anya doesnt look the same player at Derby as i saw at watford, or even scotland on occasions.

This was Johnsons best 90 in a derby shirt when he has been asked to be the holding player.

Really liked how at times he sat right infront of the 2 centre halves, competeting with Wood.

Was Eustace-esque in this.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I am surprised by the tiredness thing... There will always be one who is shot at the end but thought Ince and Will looked done in far too early and there has been a break so what is that all about ? ... I also wonder if Ince is carrying a niggle he wasn't moving with much fluidity all game ? 

I think the main point in McClaren mentioning it, was that he was trying to get across that the players worked hard for the shirt.

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think the differing views on the performance of Vydra is interesting. One poster was unhappy and perplexed at the criticism of his game today by a few of us, myself included. I didn't intend to criticise him but simply i'm commenting on what I think I saw from him. I thought he had a decent game but with a little more movement he could make himself more an available option than he is currently.

He made a couple of decent runs which he got on the end of and a couple of runs (including the offside 'goal') in the second half which he was unlucky with. I am struggling to see the brilliant runs that Norman is alluding to although i'm not doubting Norman at all. I too am not an expert but was just commenting on what I saw today which was Vydra not really running across the defence and pulling defenders out of position . He's one of these players I think that just loves to run into space towards goal and his movement across the box is pretty limited and I agree, we don't play to his strengths by and large, however he does need to think a bit more about how he can get himself more involved.

I'm happy with him though. He is a goalscorer and still needs the service.

I can see both sides. Positives :The run on Bradley's pass in the first half where he prob should have scored was superb. He is a complete menace to the other team and I'll bet away from home when we counter he'll bang in a lot. Final positive is I think mac loves him; SM sees that this is the sort of striker you need. And SM Commented on our increased team pace as something he likes (that's vydra and Anaya) and on RD he described the offside move with vydra netting as exactly what he's looking for from our forwards.

The negative is it's hard to see how he's worth 8.5m. At least now. Not enough great runs. Ball just bounces over his head some times (timing?) . He needs to improve his ability to fend off players and lay the ball off (ala top strikers). Theres other little things but he was too isolated when we have possession and needs to link better.

like you though I see him going one of two ways: decent striker who is on and off but  always hussles or : a scoring machine like we've never seen once he hits better consistent form. 

10 hours ago, rynny said:

Screenshot_20161015-185000.png

Would say that is very close.

Interesting.

at the match i thought onside. On tele i thought he was offside. Here he looks onside again.

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's not that posters thrive on misery, just humans are more predisposed to share their opinions when they're pissed off. 

Vydra did ok in what was a thankless task. Often isolated and feeding off scraps, need to learn to utilise him better but we will once Mac has had a few weeks with the team. Cannot deny he has bags of pace, an excellent touch, decent finisher and works extremely hard for the team. For everything Pearson did wrong, he made 3 good signings in my opinion.

As for Derby yesterday, good performance far better than anything we've done all season with loads to improve on. We were hanging on but that's inevitable when you haven't won at home all season. Everyone played well with exception of Christie who seemed low on confidence, and Ince who I thought was shocking, especially his body language - everyone was working for the team except him - needs dropping next game.

Hope anya's injury isn't too bad

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Interesting.

at the match i thought onside. On tele i thought he was offside. Here he looks onside again.

The disallowed goal against newcastle was the same, some angles made it look on but then the sky one was clear off.

11 hours ago, eddie said:

From the back of the North Stand, I thought he got the ball perfectly cleanly, then his momentum took him into Anya.

Winning the ball or not is not considered relevant in the laws of the game if a tackle was dangerous or excessive force was used.

I suppose as a fan you think its excessive because a player has been injured, he certainly went down with a bang, not quite as theatrically as some of the leeds players had been doing throughout the game.

As the highlights dont show it its hard to say, from my view it looked rash. Just hope he is ok thats the main thing.

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Vydra's crap if you don't play to his strengths seems to be a developing theme in this thread. Sounds familiar :ph34r:

Comeon be fair mate....Bradley Johnson played well yesterday so we need to find another player to dislike.

There's footage of the tackle on twitter which shows the defender go clean through the player with feet off the deck. How it didn't get a free kick I don't know. The defender's reaction says it all - he knew what he'd done.

Sorry I can't embed the tweet despite being told how several times my phone just won't do it but maybe someone else can try for me. 

Kyle Bartley challenge v Derby County #LUFC 
https://t.co/JYGft0OWHj

Archived