Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You're right it was harsh sorry @McLovin But I've just spent the whole match sat in front of 3 tw4ts who spent the entirety of the match insulting and criticising Ince. Literally the whole 90 minutes so I come on here hoping to find a less heat of the match view and still see such unfounded criticism of him.

Mate I support everyone at the match, I never criticise individual players at a match but I thought the point of a forum is to discuss opinions? Usually Ince puts in a shift defensively but thought he was poor today, both offensively and defensively . There is a reason why Mac switched Russell and Ince around. Ince wasn't helping Christie defensively at all today so he switched them around as Russell is more competent defensively. Just think he looks short of confidence really because we made a swift counter attack but he hesitated then ballsed up the final pass. Just my opinion

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I agree with this @Bris Vegas  but just wanted to say that I do think Vydra has the technical ability to do it. In fact he was part of decent move early in the first half which started with him coming short and to the left. I'd wager that with Mac's coaching we will be able to get him to adapt to the role nicely.

Agreed. I think Vydra has more about him all round than Bent. Got to see how it evolves over the next few games. I don't think we have any other option but to stick with Vydra so let us see if McClaren can work his magic.

12 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

How can a linesman trying his best to keep up with a very fast counter attack possibly give that as offside. If you're not 100% sure you don't give a decision and there's no way he can be sure when catching up with play at that speed and with it being that tight. 

Come on buddy, it was the correct decision. 

I really don't like the English culture of forever blaming referees or even commenting on them. Everybody seems to know them by name these days, I find that quite sad.

But reaching the stage of having a pop at officials for giving correct decisions. I don't get this attitude. 

I'm not singling you out by the way. Managers do it all the time, I find it really annoying.

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

Wonder if we could play Anya as an alternative  right back, given Christie's current  struggles and our glut of attacking options?

As an extremely left footed player, no thanks. I'd rather let McClaren just give Christie his confidence back. 

Thought we got extremely lucky today to be honest sure we played a 100% better than the crap under Pearson but on another day they'd of scored 2 goals after hitting bar and post with a bit more luck.

but can't complain brilliant result for us and what a strike to win it too can take the piss out of a work colleague all next week now :) 

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think Vydra suits the way McClaren wants to play. He has to come short, otherwise we're stuck with the same problem of not getting players through the lines and in space.

Hughes and Butterfield both like to dictate while Johnson was holding back. We had very little threat going forward through the middle and gaping hole in the number ten position.

Our best play came when either Johnson or Hughes picked the ball from deep, played a one-two and then drove into the space. But doing that is risky, and also hard to pull off.

Vydra needs to learn to come short, or we're going to have the same problem re Darren Bent. Admittedly he works much harder and is a lot quicker, but the point still stands.

I thought we controlled proceedings without threatening too much. Vydra could have scored in the first half, but then they should have scored from a free header with the corner.

Second half we were the better team until we scored, then Leeds had us pinned back and may see themselves unfortunate not to get a point after hitting the post.

I wouldn't disagree that Vydra and Mac need find the right recipe re his talents and Macs system but to say you wouldn't begrudge Leeds a point or we were lucky just isn't right. Ok We didn't destroy them but we were the better team for 75 minutes of the game, we had more chances and played a good clean game. Just because we backed off for 15 minutes and they hit the post doesn't make their performance worth a draw. 1-0 was a fair result. A draw would have been unjust. 

Bradley and Will great.

Keogh, Carson, Butterfield, Lowe, Pearce and Vydra good.

Anya ok.

Ince poor until his dad was a ****, good after.

Christie poor.

Lowe needs the confidence that will come from starting games, playing it safe passing and overlapping wise, bit looks a good prospect indeed.

We controlled the game much better today, some nice football with little punch which is the issue with our forward line right now. Misfiring Ince, a crossing winger in Anya and a worker in Vydra who needs a target man (and also isn't tall enough for Anya to work alone with). 

Johnson was excellent in his role, no surprise to see Mac pick him given his love of a CDM. Lowe looked like he'd been playing in the league for years, the left hand side trio of Butterfield/Lowe/Anya worked wonderfully. When Anya came off we lost that, though Russell did of course score the winner. Pearce also impressed me today, he shouldn't be dropped on that form.

An issue is the right hand side however. Because Hughes drifts into a 10 role it leaves Christie and Ince without a triangle to play in, which draws Vydra in sometimes and removes our striker. Or, failing that, there's a failed attempt to go forward/a ball back into the middle towards Johnson. 

After the goal, particularly the offside one, the nerves got the better of the players and we dropped back. I think that's to be expected a little. Bryan and Barry did their running well enough but we got very lucky with the Antonsson chance that hit the woodwork. Bartley also somehow missed what was a sitter from all of six yards. 

A good start that shows our glaring issues plus positives to work from. A little confidence and we can be looking at a controlled passing side once more, we're in dire need of a Martin type though, along with some form for Ince and some confidence to keep playing when leading late on, which will of course come in time. 

30 minutes ago, jono said:

Thought Pearce was excellent. I really prefer him to Shackle now. I also like his appreciation of the fans.. This guy understands the duties and emotions of being a leader.

Johnson .. Excellent. Early on he took the ball beat his man, played a forward pass instead of a sideways lay off. Positive intent that continued through the game, all down to self belief and confidence. Slipped Vydra in who on another day would have put it away. Vydra .. I honestly think he was unlucky today. He could have had a brace and been a conquering hero but it is fine margins. Tom Ince .. One of my favourite players but there's trouble at mill .. Very off his game, lacking energy and legless from 70 minutes. Not helped by Christie having a poor game. Made our right hand side pretty redundant. Yes Ince was involved in 3 fast breaks and did his bit, but lacked the final precision. Will cracking performance. Funny to see will turning in to an enforcer with tough tackles. He almost has a bruiser badge to go with his creator award. Great to see him hit a good shot on target. Lowe .. A real player .. Keep it up young man, well played.  Olson has a fight on and Fozzie won't be an automatic choice on his return. 

We Sat too deep at the end, got nervous, lacked a cool head but some credit to Leeds for having a **** or bust push at the end.

rode our luck at times but Leeds got their fair share of the ladies bounty with off sides, the refs leniency and 50/50 balls so swings and round a outs there. 

Well deserved 3 points and, more than any individual showing I felt some genuine team spirit had returned. .. It was good walking along the river bank listening to 2 Leeds fans saying "we let them control it for 80 minutes, we'll never beat anyone if we only bother for 10 effing minutes" bit harsh but makes you feel are kinda of warm inside :thumbsup:

Great post. That's the game I saw. 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

I wouldn't disagree that Vydra and Mac need find the right recipe re his talents and Macs system but to say you wouldn't begrudge Leeds a point or we were lucky just isn't right. Ok We didn't destroy them but we were the better team for 75 minutes of the game, we had more chances and played a good clean game. Just because we backed off for 15 minutes and they hit the post doesn't make their performance worth a draw. 1-0 was a fair result. A draw would have been unjust. 

If you were the away side, had hit the post and the crossbar, out-shot the opposition 13 to 9 and worked the opposition goalkeeper into some good saves then you'd bemoan not getting a point.

Let's take the blinkers off for a second. Derby controlled possession, but Leeds had the better chances. Our goal came very much from nothing, it's not like it was well-worked or anything.

Leeds hit the post and the bar, and their centre-back really should have scored when hitting straight at Carson from eight yards out. 

I thought Derby played the more pleasing football of the two, and certainly dominated territory for 70 minutes. But aside from Vydra in the first half, we didn't create anything of note.

16 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Thought we got extremely lucky today to be honest sure we played a 100% better than the crap under Pearson but on another day they'd of scored 2 goals after hitting bar and post with a bit more luck.

Yeah but on another day Vydra would have stayed onside and scored at least two.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Let's take the blinkers off for a second. Derby controlled possession, but Leeds had the better chances. Our goal came very much from nothing, it's not like it was well-worked or anything.

It was from a corner, we've been wanting to score from those for ages, so it was well worked! But if Vydra had not been that fraction offside 2 up would have been a different game and they might not have come at us so hard late on when we were absolutely knackered - we didn't sit too deep, we couldn't hardly challenge! So blinkers off we were as unlucky as them. Oh forgot Vydra missed a good chance 1st half (on the Sky highlights), so it was a pretty even game. We deserved to win cos we kept going to the end. :)

Archived