Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We couldn't really be playing Leeds at a worse time as they've just won 5 of their last 6 games & Gary Monk seems to have brought them some stability & consistency at last. Our recent record against them at the iPro isn't that good either.

6 minutes ago, TETRA said:

We couldn't really be playing Leeds at a worse time as they just won 5 of their last 6 games & Gary Monk seems to have brought them some consistency at last. Are recent record against them at the iPro isn't that good either.

You could argue the same against Reading and even Cardiff after they saw of Rotherham the game before they played us. In this league anyone can beat anyone. We have a really tough string of games coming up though Leeds, Brentford, Huddersfield, Wednesday. Its a pretty big october for us If we get something like 5 points out of those four games I will be pretty pleased tbfh.

1 minute ago, kingsy1884 said:

You could argue the same against Reading and even Cardiff after they saw of Rotherham the game before they played us. In this league anyone can beat anyone. We have a really tough string of games coming up though Leeds, Brentford, Huddersfield, Wednesday. Its a pretty big october for us If we get something like 5 points out of those four games I will be pretty pleased tbfh.

So that will mean just 15 points after 15 games to look forward to then. Should that continue a relegation fight this season seems almost certain.

11 minutes ago, TETRA said:

So that will mean just 15 points after 15 games to look forward to then. Should that continue a relegation fight this season seems almost certain.

It would be difficult to be anywhere but in a relegation battle in just 4 games. 5 would be the minimum I expect from tough competition over the next 4 games. And you are assuming everyone else is picking up plenty of points along the way the likes of Villa, the gumps, Wigan, Rotherham, Bburn, Cardiff. All pretty poor outfits like ourselves.

This is going to be an incredibly hard match, god knows who will be in charge and what system or players we will play but one things for certain, they'll come here to fight us and it will be a real test of our seemingly fragile players if they have it in them to succeed in this league. The first goal will be vital as always but we must arrest this slide of not concentrating for the full 90 minutes otherwise we stand no chance at all. I'd make sure we've got some strength in the team and go something like this:

Carson

Christie keogh Shackell Lowe 

johnson 

hughes Bryson 

Ince Vydra Weimann

Shackell is an absolute must imo, the defence has seemingly fallen to pieces Since he was stopped, and we'll need him in there to sort the players around him out, Olsson has been awful recently and Lowe should be given a chance to make the left back spot his own. Perhaps harsh on butterfield but we need runners into the box and Bryson should provide that, again maybe harsh on anya but I rate weimann better with vydra

Some tough games ahead alright, but hope springs eternal that the team will start to rise to it.

Hopefully off pitch issues are resolved.

The internationals are good for all those called up.

It seems after this week that a resurgent Brad Johnson is making the defensive midfield his position. Plus an old club factor for him.

Hopefully Hughes is OK and even Bryson back as an option (although Butters was good v Cardiff and by all accounts OK yesterday). Perhaps Shackell is "responding" to his unspecified "treatment"

I can only see reasons to be excited and positive for this one.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This is going to be an incredibly hard match, god knows who will be in charge and what system or players we will play but one things for certain, they'll come here to fight us and it will be a real test of our seemingly fragile players if they have it in them to succeed in this league. The first goal will be vital as always but we must arrest this slide of not concentrating for the full 90 minutes otherwise we stand no chance at all. I'd make sure we've got some strength in the team and go something like this:

Carson

johnson 

hughes Bryson 

Ince Vydra Weimann

Shackell is an absolute must imo, the defence has seemingly fallen to pieces Since he was stopped, and we'll need him in there to sort the players around him out, Olsson has been awful recently and Lowe should be given a chance to make the left back spot his own. Perhaps harsh on butterfield but we need runners into the box and Bryson should provide that, again maybe harsh on anya but I rate weimann better with vydra

Will Lowe, Bryson and Shackell (if he is actually injured) be fit again by then? I'd still play Anya, as he played well with Vydra against Reading but would drop Ince and bring Weimann in his position instead. 

I hope to Christ that Lowe is fit though or even Olsson at a push otherwise we are stuck with Baird in that position.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Carson

johnson 

hughes Bryson 

Ince Vydra Weimann

Butterfield ahead of Bryson for me. 

I would this week on the training ground i would do some running work on and off the ball. I still think hit and move football on the deck. 

But if you think you can spot a long ball to get behind leeds back if route one ball fine but some times need to angle you balls so not so easy to read but when this happens you need like anna and Russell chase afer them with will huges and bryson to back them up.

I would advice having butterfield to feed the balls to will huges or bryson. 

Bradly johnson when sitting on in front of back four when breaking up the play he needs to feed the ball to midfeild quicker or off the ball he needs to stay in there faces even rough up the oppsitions up a bit.

Formation i would stick with a 443 but off the ball perhaps a 352 formation givig is a extra man in midfield or in defance maybe this will make us harder to break down.

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

Will Lowe, Bryson and Shackell (if he is actually injured) be fit again by then? I'd still play Anya, as he played well with Vydra against Reading but would drop Ince and bring Weimann in his position instead. 

I hope to Christ that Lowe is fit though or even Olsson at a push otherwise we are stuck with Baird in that position.

I wok,d have thought so given a 2 week break but we've not heard anything. Tbf I don't think anya or weimann will make a huge difference either one can be great in their day

I think Powell said he was expecting at least one of Lowe or Olsson to be fit so we should be fine

In the days of our 433 under maclaren I always thought that 1 holding,  1 creative passer and 1 runner was the best balance. But everything has been turned upside down so old assumptions have to be retested. 

I liked the bryson of the later clough and early maclaren years mainly because he wasn't afraid to shoot on sight. Of the current crop I guess Butterfield most closely fits that description now.

Johnson and hughes alongside. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I would normally tend to agree with you mate, definately the better footballer- just think we need some threat in the box while we struggling for goals

Think I prefer Butterfield right now. With Vydra upfront there is less need for someone running beyond the striker and doing busy work around him, there is more need for players to drift into the space just in front of the defence and thread passes through to the front line. I feel Butterfield better suits the team's needs with the current frontline.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Think I prefer Butterfield right now. With Vydra upfront there is less need for someone running beyond the striker and doing busy work around him, there is more need for players to drift into the space just in front of the defence and thread passes through to the front line. I feel Butterfield better suits the team's needs with the current frontline.

Yeah, I was very much undecided on whether Bryson or butterfield is Better atm, I wasn't at either of the last two games so I'm not sure how well butterfield has been playing. But then again who knows what could happen, we don't even know who's in the dugout yet!

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah, I was very much undecided on whether Bryson or butterfield is Better atm, I wasn't at either of the last two games so I'm not sure how well butterfield has been playing. But then again who knows what could happen, we don't even know who's in the dugout yet!

I can vouch for Butterfield at Cardiff, he had a solid game, looked tidy and clearly playing a role that suited him far more than wide.

I think the international break is a good thing. We go in off the back of 4 points from 2 away games having scored in both so it's positive. Chrissy just needs to get everyone regrouped and calm everything down and concentrate on building morale and the match ahead against Leeds.

I'd go with Butterfield still and i'd like to see Shackell come back in. Nothing against Pearce but I just prefer Shackell in there.

Leeds are doing ok under Garry Monk and I rate him as a manager. I watched MOTD the other night and watched those two clowns who run Swansea just sat there in the stands. Sacking Monk was a huge mistake. He had proven he could manage at that level, he was Mr Swansea having come up through the leagues and was and still is a very promising young British manager and after a bad run of form he was dispensed with. IMO he would have turned it around. Then they go for Guidolin and they end up worse off! Who didn't see THAT coming? Bizarre logic.

Leeds have got a good manager there and if he be left alone by the owners (which I very much doubt ) then I reckon in a year or two they could be challenging for play offs at least. Of their players I know Eunan O'Kane very well indeed having watched him many times in his Torquay United days. Such a steady, cultured player with great awareness and passing ability. If we don't get stuck in to him then he can do some damage. Excellent at free kicks too.

Luke Ayling at full back also is a cracking little player. Ex Yeovil and then went on to Brizzle City where he made his name. Also a couple of others I've seen much of, Matt Grimes in midfield ex Exeter who was sold for nearly £2 million and striker Kemar Roofe. This lad is dynamite when he gets on his game. I've highlighted these 4 players because I do know about them and what they can bring but to also emphasise that you don't necessarily have to bring in journeymen from higher up the footballing food chain when there are plenty of better options in the lower leagues who just need that opportunity. These four have been at the bottom and hauled themselves up and I like to see that.

At some point this season we will blitz someone 3 or 4, it does happen and I've a feeling that Leeds are due a bad defeat so why not?

Archived