Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

Just watched the highlights on youtube and don 't think Ince deserves the slating he's been getting on here - looks like he is starting to work well with Vydra - made a couple of great passes to him that he should have scored from. Needs a bit more time I think to get used to McClaren again.

Unfortunately the game lasts longer than 4 minutes 43 seconds.

Maybe we bought him after viewing a highlights package 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The ref was OK? He gave nothing for two very heavy tackles on Hughes - he had to change his shirt due to a gash on his upper body, so there should have been a yellow card for at least one of those tackles. Then Anya was wacked twice in the same passage of play and needed treatment, but not even a free-kick was given. And the guy who finished Anya's game went into the tackle completely out of control - it should have been at least a yellow nut more likely a red, but yet again, not even a free-kick. Disgraceful, although the ref probably felt he wasn't out of control but knew exactly what he was doing. As ever the Dirities set about "doing" both Hughes and Anya from the very start.

Then there were the offsides (plural) - Vydra's goal was marginally off, but (a) what happened to giving the bernefit of doubt to the attacker, and (b) the linesman couldn't be sure from his position which was behind the run of play, so he shouldn't have given the decision. In reality he couldn't wait to raise his flag. Once Derby had scored, the officials seemed determined to "help" Leeds in their quest for an equalizer. The final offside came when the goalkeeper told the linesman to put his flag up. For goodness sake, how can the goalkeeper see that someone is offside. In the end, he could only favour Leeds more by carrying an AK47 and gunning Derby players down. 

Incidentally, I believe Hughes went off because of his yellow card. Yes our players were knackered, but they weren't going in for tackles because they knew the ref would give the decision Leeds' way, and they were also holding back in attack for fear of getting clogged, because the ref had given them very little protection all game long. Terrible match officials. How the FA/Football League keep finding officials who are worse than the lot we got for the last match, I don't know, but they seem to have an inexhaustible supply of absolute duffers.

Mark Halsey's comments (probably in his latest book, no doubt) make interesting reading, and will tend to support my comments.

There is absolutely nothing to support your comments. 

Benefit of the doubt? The linesman would have fully been 100 percent certain to give whatever decision he felt was right at time. So your basically asking for him to give a incorrect decision in our teams favour? Let me guess you wouldn't chirped up would you if it was other way round if Leeds scored and it was allowed from that offside? Probably not.

With regards poor officials..... another throwaway comment. Officials make mistakes I will admit, but managers and players do too..... But time and again it's the officials who'll come in for stick straight after the game because of leading questions from the media to heat of the moment answers from managers.

Judging by what you think of officials I'd imagine you think they should be robots who get every decision right, who are ripe for abuse at every level.

You got any ideas to help officials more? Or is it just a general rant that's easy to do? 

Just hate the complete garbage with throwaway comments like yours that shows the lack of respect in football nowadays.

As for Mark Halseys revelations..... why didn't he chirp up at the time? Plenty of time for whistleblowers me...... not for blokes who wait to make a few bob after they retired in book sales.

They make mistakes, majority they get right. British officials are the best in the world. I believe that completely..... not some newspaper or some "expert pundit" who gets to change his mind when he sees a fooking dozen replays. Hate the implications of officials that they have seen/not seen something.

Be logical. 

15 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Benefit of the doubt? The linesman would have fully been 100 percent certain to give whatever decision he felt was right at time. So your basically asking for him to give a incorrect decision in our teams favour? Let me guess you wouldn't chirped up would you if it was other way round if Leeds scored and it was allowed from that offside? Probably not.

With regards poor officials..... another throwaway comment. Officials make mistakes I will admit, but managers and players do too..... But time and again it's the officials who'll come in for stick straight after the game because of leading questions from the media to heat of the moment answers from managers.

Judging by what you think of officials I'd imagine you think they should be robots who get every decision right, who are ripe for abuse at every level.

You got any ideas to help officials more? Or is it just a general rant that's easy to do? 

Just hate the complete garbage with throwaway comments like yours that shows the lack of respect in football nowadays.

As for Mark Halseys revelations..... why didn't he chirp up at the time? Plenty of time for whistleblowers me...... not for blokes who wait to make a few bob after they retired in book sales.

They make mistakes, majority they get right. British officials are the best in the world. I believe that completely..... not some newspaper or some "expert pundit" who gets to change his mind when he sees a fooking dozen replays. Hate the implications of officials that they have seen/not seen something.

Be logical. 

No, nobody expects match officials to get everything right all the time. What we do want is consistency and fairness, and although Derby supporters will tend to look at thing through black and white coloured spectacles, we do not see this fairness and consistency. I gave examples in my rant,and there are other examples throughout this thread but you could pick any game from the last few years and there would be countless examples. Think of the blatant timewasting by Milwall, Middlesborough and Ipswich. Was it the Middlesborough goalkeeper a couple of season ago who got booked for timewasting during time-added on? He and his team mates had been doing it right from the kick-off, so that was really clamping down on it, wasn't it? Or the Milwall player who fell and injured himself at the side of the pitch, and then crawled onto the pitch so his team-mates could call on the ref to stop the game. If the player could crawl onto the pitch, he could have crawled off it, but the ref fell for it. There are shed-loads of examples of stuff like this, but it seems we are supposed to accept mediocre performances from the match officials are we?

In reality, results this season, and in our "meltdowns" would have happened even with good refereeing performances, because the results were largely of our own making. I have tended therefore to hold my comment  on this back, but yesterday the Rams did OK, but how much of our "backs-to-the-wall" act at the end had been influenced by the way the officials carried out their duty?

Oh, and by the way, if Halsey had spoken out while still an active referee, he would have been severely reprimanded, and either demoted or kept out of the game.

In the end, each to his own. That's the beauty of forums, or talking with mates at the pub after the match - we all see things differently, and I love hearing or seeing all the different opinions. I also like to have a good old rant from time to time!

9 hours ago, sage said:

Unfortunately the game lasts longer than 4 minutes 43 seconds.

Maybe we bought him after viewing a highlights package 

No, we brought him after he scored lots of goals for us in MacClarens last stint as manager. He didn't sound awful on commentary either, but he isn't exactly helped by having Christie begin him either.

Two points from the weekends result.

1. The offside goal - it was a very tough call to make even the highlight footage is inconclusive as vydra appears level with Bartley but the other leeds defender is blocking the view so a difficult call which luckily didnt effect the result too much. I think most of the leeds players thought he was on so he could well have been. Anyway Vydra took the goal very well and was unlucky not to score on the day.

2. Our goal celebration - the 'full team' celebration is one i dont think i have seen for a long time and it was great to see. Although it seems a little thing it tells a wider story. It was always something i associated with the 1st SM era along with the teams pre match huddles. I feel it shows a natural togetherness of the players no one is skulking about. Overall a well taken goal and reaction from all the players long may it continue.

13 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Be logical. 

Agree with most of this although I do think overall the ref gave more of the debatable decisions to the opposition but I thought by and large he did ok. I also noticed Ince in the second half trick the Leeds player near the touchline then jink past him and do that 'bumping into the opponents midriff and bouncing off onto the floor rolling about' thingy which a lot of players do nowadays. He dived and writhed for about 3 seconds before play continued, he got straight up when it became aware nobody was in the slightest bit interested.

I thought Ince didn't have a bad game and he did do some pressing of opponents players instead of just ambling about which was appreciated but i'd have booked him for feigning injury and the ref just played on so it's swings and roundabouts as they say. Some you win, some you lose.

IMO refs should be permitted (not sure if they are or not currently) to just come out after a game and say if they think he got something wrong and why or his thought processes behind a particular decision and even if we disagree I think that's the honest, open and transparent way to appease most fans and i'm sure it would help with their image. Some will still hate referees as is their choice.

The thing about Christie is that his intincts are all wrong for a right back. You want your right back to overlap and provide width when you play inide forwards like Ince. Instead Christie instinctively runs inside, into the most congested area of the pitch and more often than not, where Ince is standing.

Ince isn't blameless (I think there's some truth in that he sometimes hides behind other players), but look at all the wingers/forwards we have had play in front of Christie since he has arrived at the club - he hasn't been able to form a partnership with any of them.

If only he went on the outside more often, it would help the team far more.

Archived