The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why on earth would we want him back? He has completely lost his touch. There is no way he will ever become a prolific striker again and we shouldn't play in a way that relies upon him recovering the form he once showed.  I've started to cringe at the current plan of knock downs from Bent to Buttefield.  I'm hoping we can now do better than that. 

I am in 2 minds about this.

Part of me wants to move forward. I never liked Chrissy's lack of pace, falling over and very visible mardiness. All sunshine smiles and the big man when it's going well but a pain in the rear, negative influence when it wasn't.

But .. did he ever have a pacey strong guy to work with ? Bent ? still a good poacher but the pace has gone .. Ince, Russell all too light weight to be a true foil.

Just maybe with Vydra something could be crafted

1 hour ago, jono said:

I am in 2 minds about this.

Part of me wants to move forward. I never liked Chrissy's lack of pace, falling over and very visible mardiness. All sunshine smiles and the big man when it's going well but a pain in the rear, negative influence when it wasn't.

But .. did he ever have a pacey strong guy to work with ? Bent ? still a good poacher but the pace has gone .. Ince, Russell all too light weight to be a true foil.

Just maybe with Vydra something could be crafted

When Martin was playing his best for us his pace didn't matter because it was entirely compensated by midfield runners and the inside forwards. His ability on the ball was far more important to make Mac's system work. 

I think a player who had Martin's ability on the ball but had a yard of pace would be a good prem player.

1 hour ago, unclej said:

Why on earth would we want him back? He has completely lost his touch. There is no way he will ever become a prolific striker again and we shouldn't play in a way that relies upon him recovering the form he once showed.  I've started to cringe at the current plan of knock downs from Bent to Buttefield.  I'm hoping we can now do better than that. 

Martin's better than Bent at those knockdowns to the midfield, although I guess that says more about Bent's weakness rather than Martin's strength. 

Still, can I quote you on the first part of this post if he comes back and becomes prolific again?

57 minutes ago, europia said:

Sometimes you just need to move on. This applies to CM & DCFC.

What makes you think that? I dont see why we need to move on. Its not like we have sold him. The guy consistently scored double figures every full season in derby colours. 

It makes complete sense to get him back rather than shell out 10mil+ on someone not as proven.

We are, without a doubt, missing him for not only his goal scoring prowess(which would return, without a doubt in his familiar  433) but also his link up play.... If he doesn't want to come back, we need to bring another,  identical, Wardrobe type player into the fold. 

I'd live to have him back in person tho, it's what we are missing and have been also season... Bloody  useless Pearson moving him on. 

Archived