The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Towards the end of martins time here i wasnt his biggest fan. If anything i thought he was part of the problem and was glad when he went so we could freshen things up. I thought his performances (admittedly everyone was rubbish under pearson) didnt warrant him to be a guarenteed starter and i felt we were a bit one dimensional towards the end with him in the side & as a team we'd lost our way

however he has started scoring at fulham & he may feel that he wants to come back to work under mac again. Maybe in a roundabout way if he does return then the loan to fulham might have freshened him up and if we do get him back then we get the player capable of scoring 20+ goals a season and not the 'donkey' he'd turned into. I say that tongue in cheek & we can allargur that it might havd been down to formations and tactics etc 

as it stands im happy either way, im happy with the way were playing under mac and i think playoffs is now a realistic goal we've 100% turned a corner but at the same time im happy to see him return in jan, he might be the difference in a playoff final & i think as daft as it sounds this loan stint could have benifited him 

Listening to the Fulham end on the radio he missed a lot of chances today but he did score two and should have scored six but totally dominated third in the league Reading. If we can get better then fair enough but I doubt it so we should be trying to get him back as we need his type in the mac system 

Mixed feelings .. A one goal in two games striker AND consistently so. ...It's hard not to want him

i still have this nagging sense that his style made us one dimensional .. Allbeit a dimension that worked 6/10 times.

Under Mac2 we seem to have more variety and options. I also wonder if the break up of the Hendrick Bryson duet might mean that the system wouldn't quite have the shine it had. .. At this point I'd honestly prefer to see us shaping Vydra into our system as he seems such a pacy natural ball player but I am not going to be anti Martin because his record is undeniable.

jury out in jono land 

13 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Did Chris M score as many league goals today as both Vydra and Bent have for us all season?

Still the most baffling piece of transfer business I can ever remember at Derby. And I remember getting Ian Wilson in on loan.

And we've paid £8odd million for the privilege.

Vydra over priced yes but a good player, anya decent squad member but very over priced Pearson just making a statement and stuff the consequences- thank you, I am sure we currently can't get better than Martin and there are not many about who can do his role in our side.

2 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

anyone know if he's allowed to play us when we're away in Fulham in a couple of weeks ? (because if he is, then we all know what's going to happen) 

No he can't while we own him, so don't sell him in January either for the reverse fixture or the play offs !

I think today proved we do need another option up top. That's not a dig at Vydra as he ran himself ragged today and had lumps kicked out of him especially in the 1st half. With Bent injured we needed an option to freshen it up in the 2nd half. Come on Mel, get them removal men rang . There is a wardrobe needs bringing home. :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Is that any word that Martin actually wants to stay or come back to us?

Surely someone on here has their ear to the ground?

I think I prefer not to hear 'gossip', I hope he comes back, but I think he might want to stay...so la la la I'm not listening. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds as if he has had some up and down performances.

Nephew went to their V Rotherham game .. Said he was pretty anonymous and missed a penalty. Still I am glad he won't be playing against us. It's going to be very interesting how this plays out.

Controversial but I don't think we should bring him back. If he did it would ruin the balance of the team. Martin was pretty poor without midfield runners, if we still had Hendrick and a younger Bryson then maybe I would consider it but not now with this more dynamic and less predictable front 3. Ince is in very good form atm and I'm suggest bringing Martin back would make him lose that form because they don't suit each other's game. Ince likes people who stretch the game to give him more space whereas him and Martin got in each other's space a number of times last season. It's no surprise that his record is great when playing with Bent. I think all of the midfield 3 benefit from the front 3 being more mobile too.So for me the 2 options are: 1) either bring back Martin but having to buy another box to box midfielder in the mould of Bryson whilst also dropping Ince or 2) Buy a new striker and sell Martin, whilst keeping Ince in the team. You may agree or disagree, it's just my opinion.

Archived