The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think Martin going will end up being a blessing in disguise.  We were too one dimensional with him in our squad, he was in a way our Achilles heel.  i a big fan of his talent and hope he does well in the future, but his time at Derby is over.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Yes, it could work. No, it isn't going to happen.

It was an abysmal decision to let him go. Fulham, unless Jokanović is sacked and replaced with an idiot, will not be stupid enough to make the same mistake we did. They will make the additional payment and we will have to make do with what we have or look elsewhere.

I am interested to see who McClaren goes for. Jutkiewicz seems a sensible option as cover, considering that we already have 11.5 million pounds worth of talent and an ex England international to fill the role as things stand.

I really don't understand why so many Derby fans constantly lust after Assombolonga. Is it a forbidden fruit thing because he plays for Forest? The guy can't get through 90 minutes without pulling up and people still want us to bid octuple figures for him. Madness.

mmmmmm assombalonga mmmmmm

16 minutes ago, ramit said:

i think Martin going will end up being a blessing in disguise.  We were too one dimensional with him in our squad, he was in a way our Achilles heel.  i a big fan of his talent and hope he does well in the future, but his time at Derby is over.

I'm kind of with you on that in terms of Martin was limited by having no pace and really only wanted in to feet ,whereas if we could get a vydra type to work on doing the things Martin was good at alongside having real pace and being able to do stuff Martin can't then we will be far harder to plan for as we can mix it up 

4 minutes ago, archied said:

I'm kind of with you on that in terms of Martin was limited by having no pace and really only wanted in to feet ,whereas if we could get a vydra type to work on doing the things Martin was good at alongside having real pace and being able to do stuff Martin can't then we will be far harder to plan for as we can mix it up 

If we can Vydra to play like Martin with pace he'd be worth more than we paid for him, which was a silly amount. Plus Martin defended all those corners with his feet and never flicked it on or scored a headed goal? He played one way because it was successful! Plus that was the way Mac wanted it done - what was he under Mac a 1 in 2 striker?

Talk about rewriting history to make uncomfortable facts more palatable!

3 hours ago, ramit said:

think your right defences used to press up and put us under pressure because they knew they could give him ten yards and still catch him i prefer a centre forward who plays on the shoulder of the last man and also a threat in the air going through the middle and keeping their defence on their toes and not allowing all their defenders press forward

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we can Vydra to play like Martin with pace he'd be worth more than we paid for him, which was a silly amount. Plus Martin defended all those corners with his feet and never flicked it on or scored a headed goal? He played one way because it was successful! Plus that was the way Mac wanted it done - what was he under Mac a 1 in 2 striker?

Talk about rewriting history to make uncomfortable facts more palatable!

Not re writing history or dissing Martin ,, Yep Martin was good in the air defensively but he wanted it to feet in attack and in the main relied on the midfield getting beyond him,, now that may be how he was instructed to play or us playing to his strengths or a mix of both but either way at times we lacked the ability to change it up , I would not be up in arms if we brought him back but in my humble opinion I would nt if it were up to me , we are seeing bent at 32 leading the line in a different way and making a decent job of it just now so for me Martin is not the be all end all for macs system , my fear is if we brought Martin back would we revert to only having one way of playing and not develop different approaches for when the situation / game called for that

6 minutes ago, archied said:

....my fear is if we brought Martin back would we revert to only having one way of playing and not develop different approaches for when the situation / game called for that

You've just said Bent is leading the line well, plus there'd be the possibility of Vydra and Martin. Don't see what you're worried about.

I seriously can't believe that anyone on here wouldn't want a,striker back here that plays so well to Macs system and absolutely thrives under it...no one loses out  by his return,we just gain another proven goal scorer....God forbid if bent or ince gets injured and we haven't got him back.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had to pay Fulham ten million to get him back,it's money well spent if we got promoted

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd go so far as to say that if we had to pay Fulham ten million to get him back,it's money well spent if we got promoted

Normally, I'd say that's absurd. But the way we've been spending in the last few windows, we've spent more on less.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You've just said Bent is leading the line well, plus there'd be the possibility of Vydra and Martin. Don't see what you're worried about.

As I say I would nt be upset if Mac saw him as a player to bring back I just think if that was the case we would really need to have a different vibe from last time and by that I mean we seemed to be in the position that Martin had to play and was rarely subbed even when he was off the pace or the opposition were nullifying his game , now that might be more to do with team work on the training field to be able to change it up than Martin himself ?? There's no doubt Martin is a good player at this level and he is a player we can play to with the players we have I just don't want him to be the only player we can play up front and if he s not on form ,injured or being nullified we become incapable of changing it up and being effective ,, hope that makes sense 

2 minutes ago, archied said:

As I say I would nt be upset if Mac saw him as a player to bring back I just think if that was the case we would really need to have a different vibe from last time and by that I mean we seemed to be in the position that Martin had to play and was rarely subbed even when he was off the pace or the opposition were nullifying his game , now that might be more to do with team work on the training field to be able to change it up than Martin himself ?? There's no doubt Martin is a good player at this level and he is a player we can play to with the players we have I just don't want him to be the only player we can play up front and if he s not on form ,injured or being nullified we become incapable of changing it up and being effective ,, hope that makes sense 

yes makes a lot of sense

Think a Martin type player would be a useful addition in January to complement our other options. However, unless you spend big and could entice someone from the premier league like Wickham for example, there's no one out there better than Martin. Therefore if we could get him back, it could be the final piece in the promotion jigsaw.

Archived