The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may have already been posted elsewhere but I've been reading Joey Barton's book (it's actually quite good, don't shoot me) and there's a section on the play off final. 

At 0-0, whilst QPR have 10 men, Richard Dunne shouted "come on lads, we can see this out", to which Martin runs past and sniggers "no ******* chance". 

Barton says "there is our marginal gain, our critical 1%, right there" 

"I see Simmo morph into the inspirational figure who, two years later, would help Leciester City win the Premier League. I see Richard Dunne, the man whom I have shared so much, good and bad, fill up. I see Bobby Zamora's face harden. I look over to Martin and I think "You have just ****** your team mates over." Lads who were shattered, mentally and physically, are now renewed". 

Martin, eh?

30 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

"I see Simmo morph into the inspirational figure who, two years later, would help Leciester City win the Premier League. I see Richard Dunne, the man whom I have shared so much, good and bad, fill up. I see Bobby Zamora's face harden. I look over to Martin and I think "You have just ****** your team mates over." Lads who were shattered, mentally and physically, are now renewed". 

Jackanory...

32 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

This may have already been posted elsewhere but I've been reading Joey Barton's book (it's actually quite good, don't shoot me) and there's a section on the play off final. 

At 0-0, whilst QPR have 10 men, Richard Dunne shouted "come on lads, we can see this out", to which Martin runs past and sniggers "no ******* chance". 

Martin, eh?

Quality ghost writing there, whilst Joey was down the bookies having a flutter on Celtic :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Quality ghost writing there, whilst Joey was down the bookies having a flutter on Celtic :ph34r:

Just the 44 times. I see he has another weeks garden leave. Must have the best roses in Larkhall. 

49 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Martin, eh?

His version of events equally as valid as the other 21 players on the pitch, and we haven't heard any of theirs. 

That's Martin getting into the competitive spirit that I would expect of a £100m game of football. It's the confidence of a good striker. If we'd gone on to win that game, Bartons book might have read "Martin's comment demoralised us and led us to distraction". 

Besides, if there's any player on the pitch you want to lead to distraction, its Richard Dunne who'd been laser focused all afternoon. 

History is written by the winners. Quite literally in this case. 

56 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Martin, eh?

How loudly did he say it for everybody half the team to hear it?! :lol:

30 minutes ago, sage said:

I continue to be baffled by by the length some Derby fans go to to slag off our best and longest serving players. 

And the joy they get out of any bad performances. 

Not a Johnny Russell fan but rather him prove me wrong than right. 

Here's the one thing I truly fail to understand from those who don't want Martin at the club, is wouldn't you rather him at least be on the bench than the likes of Bent, Wilson and Blackman ? 

I could have understood letting Martin go if we went out and bought a top drawer player who had comparable ability in linking play up to Martin, along with a reasonable backup to that player. But currently we sit on 4 strikers (not including Wiemann, Russell or youngsters) and not a single one of them can be relied on to link play, all of them just want to run in behind. 

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Here's the one thing I truly fail to understand from those who don't want Martin at the club, is wouldn't you rather him at least be on the bench than the likes of Bent, Wilson and Blackman ? 

I could have understood letting Martin go if we went out and bought a top drawer player who had comparable ability in linking play up to Martin, along with a reasonable backup to that player. But currently we sit on 4 strikers (not including Wiemann, Russell or youngsters) and not a single one of them can be relied on to link play, all of them just want to run in behind. 

Would he be happy to sit on the bench though? The likes of Bent and Blackman are probably  satisfied on the bench.

Just now, McLovin said:

Would he be happy to sit on the bench though? The likes of Bent and Blackman are probably be happy on the bench.

That's a fair point but we don't know either way do we ? What I'm trying to point out is surely he has to be a better option than those yet some people just want rid completely.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Would he be happy to sit on the bench though? The likes of Bent and Blackman are probably  satisfied on the bench.

Probably not, any player committed to the cause should never be happy to sit on the bench. Besides an in form CM is far too good to sit on the bench of any Championship side. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

I continue to be baffled by by the length some Derby fans go to to slag off our best and longest serving players. 

This is what I don't get. We all have favourite players but also some we don't take to for one reason or another - all clubs and their fans will be the same. By all means feel free to give the reasons why you don't rate 'so and so' but why not leave it at that?

But to harp on, day after day, week after week at every available opportunity to spew out their bile about players of OUR club is despicable - to me they're not fans in the true sense of the word.

6 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

At which point in my post did I slag Martin off? It's an interesting story from one of the biggest games in our history

At what point did I refer to you? I was referring to posters watching Scotland games to try and justify their dislike for Martin. 

10 hours ago, brady1993 said:

He'd be the perfect foil for Vydra if we wanted to play 2 upfront, or play Vydra behind him in a 4231.

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

He'd be the perfect foil for Vydra if we wanted to play 2 upfront, or play Vydra behind him in a 4231.

Vydra playing behind Martin would actually act on a very similar axis to how Bryson and Martin played. A crucial part of why the attack was so effective under Mac was that Martin would drop into midfield as Bryson surged past him causing anarchy with the opposing centre backs because they didn't whether to push up with Martin (and risk a well placed pass putting Bryson in acres of space) or back off to track Bryson (and allow Martin time and space on the ball). I think Vydra could do a similar job with Martin because Vydra appears technically good enough to play those quick 1-2s off Martin to make this work.. Also if that isn't working you could swap them positionally in a game, dropping Martin in the hole and using Vydra 'on the shoulder'.

You could also play Vydra tucked in on the left of a three with Martin up top.

Archived