The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How awful! No wonder he doesn't score many goals nor hardly set any up!

I can't believe the names of strikers and prices we might go for, when we're selling one better than them all (most certainly at this level - which is where we are!).

Exactly this, for all his faults there aren't many better strikers at this level when he is on form.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't believe the names of strikers and prices we might go for, when we're selling one better than them all (most certainly at this level - which is where we are!).

yes i agree he is a good player at championship level and we will probably finish up paying silly money for somone whose not as good but i do miss him doing the penguin flap when he doesnt get the ball

On 11/15/2016 at 08:54, RoyMac5 said:

The thing is, when asked who we should replace him with, those who want him gone won't be able to name a better player for half the price. Especially one who fits into our system the way we want them to. 

As most of you will be aware, I was a firm believer that letting Martin leave in the summer was a good piece of business. I always stated that this was the case IF we brought in a suitable replacement for him. My picks would have been Assombalonga or Nahki Wells, In hindsight Wells wouldn't have worked in the Mac system.

The fact we brought Vydra in to play with a striker in a 4-4-2 system made sense at the time when the window was still open but I am amazed that Pearson would have been happy with our attacking threat with what we had left on the 1st of September. I just watched this video on youtube, which outlines the strengths that we really had when McClaren was last here. 

Most of our attacking threat came through Chris Martin. In my opinion we need to be doing all we can to bring him back in January. He signed a new contract just after the play off final defeat so his contract probably has about 18 months remaining. We could offer him a bumper contract to entice him back to the club. He clearly felt that the club wasn't going to be for him in the summer when he moved to Fulham. But now McClaren is back, I am sure that he can be persuaded to come back. 

But the main question is, Could we bring Martin back in January and everything go smoothly?

I am not sure. Vydra will be wanting that starting striker spot. The healthy competition could be good for the both of them. As for Darren Bent, As well as he has done the past 3/4 games, I can't see him being the future of this football club as he is ageing and coming to the end of his career. I feel we need Martin back to be able to become a top 2 club for next season. If we get anywhere this season then that is a bonus but we should be doing everything we can to get Chris Martin back and buying quality players around him. 

Ince, Hughes & Butterfield have the quality in this division in my opinion where as Johnny Russell doesn't have the end product in the final 3rd. 

I highly doubt Martin will be coming back in January as he is finally hitting form again for Fulham and their manager has publicly said he has the intention of buying Martin on a permanent basis in January.

Yes, it could work. No, it isn't going to happen.

It was an abysmal decision to let him go. Fulham, unless Jokanović is sacked and replaced with an idiot, will not be stupid enough to make the same mistake we did. They will make the additional payment and we will have to make do with what we have or look elsewhere.

I am interested to see who McClaren goes for. Jutkiewicz seems a sensible option as cover, considering that we already have 11.5 million pounds worth of talent and an ex England international to fill the role as things stand.

I really don't understand why so many Derby fans constantly lust after Assombolonga. Is it a forbidden fruit thing because he plays for Forest? The guy can't get through 90 minutes without pulling up and people still want us to bid octuple figures for him. Madness.

Time to let go ,, good deal on the money stated if Fulham make it permanent ,, with vydra here and bent doing a good job at present I would rather we spent money elsewhere and if it was the striker position we spent on I would rather we used the Martin money and a bit extra to get someone we felt might make the step up if we get promotion over the next couple of years ,, I'm a Martin fan and grateful for how he has performed for us but I don't believe he can go to the next level of the prem ,

26 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

As most of you will be aware, I was a firm believer that letting Martin leave in the summer was a good piece of business. I always stated that this was the case IF we brought in a suitable replacement for him. My picks would have been Assombalonga or Nahki Wells, In hindsight Wells wouldn't have worked in the Mac system.

The fact we brought Vydra in to play with a striker in a 4-4-2 system made sense at the time when the window was still open but I am amazed that Pearson would have been happy with our attacking threat with what we had left on the 1st of September. I just watched this video on youtube, which outlines the strengths that we really had when McClaren was last here. 

Most of our attacking threat came through Chris Martin. In my opinion we need to be doing all we can to bring him back in January. He signed a new contract just after the play off final defeat so his contract probably has about 18 months remaining. We could offer him a bumper contract to entice him back to the club. He clearly felt that the club wasn't going to be for him in the summer when he moved to Fulham. But now McClaren is back, I am sure that he can be persuaded to come back. 

But the main question is, Could we bring Martin back in January and everything go smoothly?

I am not sure. Vydra will be wanting that starting striker spot. The healthy competition could be good for the both of them. As for Darren Bent, As well as he has done the past 3/4 games, I can't see him being the future of this football club as he is ageing and coming to the end of his career. I feel we need Martin back to be able to become a top 2 club for next season. If we get anywhere this season then that is a bonus but we should be doing everything we can to get Chris Martin back and buying quality players around him. 

Ince, Hughes & Butterfield have the quality in this division in my opinion where as Johnny Russell doesn't have the end product in the final 3rd. 

I highly doubt Martin will be coming back in January as he is finally hitting form again for Fulham and their manager has publicly said he has the intention of buying Martin on a permanent basis in January.

The answer is yes and Mac is the reason why Martin done very well for us. He'll do it again under Mac for 2nd time for sure. 

Yes it would work and yes it would be a good move. I repeat scoring goals against good teams will be the difference between us doing well or not. The current strike force (Bent & Vydra) will not be enough. If CM, with his record of scoring and setting up goals hadn't been at Derby but at another club, he'd be top of the list of strikers we should buy in January! #ffs

BRING HIM HOME. I'd love to see him come back, but see almost zero chance of it happening though. 

Either way, he'd have to wait patiently behind an in form Bent. As Bent respectfully waited for so long behind him.  He's earned his starting role,  and it would send an awful message to rip that away from him regardless of who comes in. 

And a resounding NO to Assombalonga from me. 

Archived