Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, cymru said:

after yesterday disaster mr pearson can you see you can't leave players like martin and hughes out wake up and smell the coffee fgs 

Hughes played almost the whole game and was terrible.

Martin played a half and did nothing.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

At the time I said Christie, then I someone on here said Blackman and I took it as read. However if you look on the video, it is Cyrus. 

It was me that said Blackman, I watched it 6 or 7 times and was sure it was Blackman, watched it 4 more times just, and it is definitely Blackman. We had 4 players to their 3, was Shackell nearest the penalty spot then Blackman, Keogh and then Christie. The goal scorer was their closest to the ball in that group, he runs into Blackman and palms him off and Blackman just stands and watches him.

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

It was me that said Blackman, I watched it 6 or 7 times and was sure it was Blackman, watched it 4 more times just, and it is definitely Blackman. We had 4 players to their 3, was Shackell nearest the penalty spot then Blackman, Keogh and then Christie. The goal scorer was their closest to the ball in that group, he runs into Blackman and palms him off and Blackman just stands and watches him.

I will have a look again, bit to me it looks like a bloke runs off the back of the line (ie Christie's) then runs through the group, ending up nearest Keogh.

Blackman does have form tbf Rotherham away

1 minute ago, sage said:

I will have a look again, bit to me it looks like a bloke runs off the back of the line (ie Christie's) then runs through the group, ending up nearest Keogh.

Blackman does have form tbf Rotherham away

That's what I thought at first as well.

17 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Fools and children really shouldn't see things half done.

Pearson probably knew before he came here that we had one of the most fickle fan bases in the Country, but fortunately he clearly is made of sterner stuff than 50% of this forum.

We may very well have been piss poor today, but just to remind everybody this was the second league game of the season. Pearson is clearly giving everyone already at the club a fair opportunity to prove themselves. That a significant number are failing is not his fault, nor surprising in truth. We really do have some inconsistent and indeed bang average players, and, perhaps worse than that, a clique.

A shake up is required. I am backing Pearson to do it, but he may need a bit of time. By that I mean about 12-18 months. I suspect however many of you want it fully sorted by Tuesday night. As I said, fools and children.

All well and good. But if this is a shakeup I'm seeing, why isn't he buying players that fit his brand of football and shipping out the 'clique'? This is the argument you make when a new manager has signed a whole new team and you need to give it time to gel. Nothing has changed. Its not half done, it's not even started yet. But why hasn't it when the season is already underway? What's the holdup? 

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

That's what I thought at first as well.

Still think it's Christie (mainly). It is his man (the scorer) who breaks away and runs into the group. The scorer collides with Blackman but keeps running, Christie ends up nearer Blackman's original man. 

The really strange thing Ramage mentioned a few times yesterday was that the players didn't look fit enough and that Barnsley were running rings round us. Whether that's down to lack of effort remains to be seen. 

What is inexcusable and really ****s me off is when we just implode like we did yesterday, we turn in to a team of frightened schoolboys, no leaders on the pitch, nobody to get hold of em and kick em up the arse! Why the hell should teams like Barnsley be out fighting us? (No offence to Barnsley) but it shouldn't he happening. 

You can talk formations all you like, yesterday had absolutely naff all to do with formation, it was about, character, bottle and effort and we turned up with nothing. The sooner some of these preened princesses get shipped off the better, it doesn't matter who the manager is, we have learned over the last three years that some of these players won't perform for anyone because they are comfortable, on big fat contracts and happy to coast through.

The whole team needs a shake up, an injection of hungry leaders on the pitch, I honestly wouldn't be sad to see any of our so called "superstars" go, not one of them.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

Still think it's Christie (mainly). It is his man (the scorer) who breaks away and runs into the group. The scorer collides with Blackman but keeps running, Christie ends up nearer Blackman's original man. 

From the YouTube clip it starts with him on the edge of the box closest to Blackman and Shackell, if the footage you have seen starts further back then fair enough, otherwise think it'll be best to agree to disagree :)

1 minute ago, rynny said:

From the YouTube clip it starts with him on the edge of the box closest to Blackman and Shackell, if the footage you have seen starts further back then fair enough, otherwise think it'll be best to agree to disagree :)

Yeh the clip i have seen is from the championship show and it starts before any movement. It is Christie's man who runs away from him along the edge of the box then runs at Blackman leaving him 2 on 1.  

1 minute ago, sage said:

Yeh the clip i have seen is from the championship show and it starts before any movement. It is Christie's man who runs away from him along the edge of the box then runs at Blackman leaving him 2 on 1.  

Fair enough, will have to have a look at that then.

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

You can talk formations all you like, yesterday had absolutely naff all to do with formation, it was about, character, bottle and effort and we turned up with nothing.

I know it's not the only aspect, but the formation really doesn't encourage pressing at all.  It's basically a 424, with almost 4 out and out strikers.  The 2 midfielders just can't go chasing the ball, as it'll leave a massive gap right down the middle and we'll get killed with even the tamest of breakaways, so they have to sit in and hold position.  And that leaves the front 4 to do all the pressing - a front 4 consisting of the likes of Martin, Bent, Ince, Blackman etc, who despite all of their ability, aren't really runners and chasers.  It's yet again Pearson not using players at all correctly.

8 hours ago, Derbados said:

The really strange thing Ramage mentioned a few times yesterday was that the players didn't look fit enough and that Barnsley were running rings round us. Whether that's down to lack of effort remains to be seen. 

Is that not EXACTLY what Pearson was supposed to be giving them?

31 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Is that not EXACTLY what Pearson was supposed to be giving them?

The players themselves have unanimously come out saying theyre fitter than they've been before at this stage. So either a) theyve been horrendously unfit at this stage of previous seasons in their career, b) there was a lack of effort or c) Dawes and Ramage were talking out of their arse.

Has anyone on here who went to the game said they thought the players looked unfit? That would rule out c, my moneys on b in that case. C otherwise.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

The players themselves have unanimously come out saying theyre fitter than they've been before at this stage. So either a) theyve been horrendously unfit at this stage of previous seasons in their career, b) there was a lack of effort or c) Dawes and Ramage were talking out of their arse.

Has anyone on here who went to the game said they thought the players looked unfit? That would rule out c, my moneys on b in that case. C otherwise.

Don't think it's any of those things. The players were clearly trying, they were just being beaten to every ball by a well-drilled Barnsley team in which every player knew their role.

Contrast that to a Derby team with the entire midfield playing out of their favoured position with no striker to hold the ball up properly (in the first half at least). Normally having the extra man in midfield makes up for it, but Pearson obviously doesn't particularly like that idea. It's no wonder we were made to look slow and unfit even when the players aren't.

Archived