Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

just to make it easier for you to understand/grasp, substitute the word "equal" for the word "guarantee".

I was using it as SUM of quote, but you didn't grasp it. 

That's not to suggest a manager, who has experience, wouldn't bring success, just that people are getting too hung up on the word experience!

So you would choose from a field of thirty candidates, most of them experienced..........Wassell?  QED 

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm personally unsure what to think at the moment.

DW is clearly taking the job seriously but my god if there is a definition of having rose tinted specs on he sure as has them. It's plain to see with squad movements that we're already slimming down and ready to push for a fresh start next season.

Now this leads me to my next question in that is DW that man to lead us forward? No, I don't think so and I don't think DW or MM thinks that either. I believe that MM has asked DW to be caretaker for the rest of the season, with a view to him taking over full time.

In my eyes DW isn't the man. This isn't based on his "record" as our manager so far but based on what I see of him, his team selections and the interviews that he does. DW is a great asset to this club and has proved himself to be an excellent youth coach but first team manager? No, not in my eyes.

The season has been written off for all intents and purposes. Good performances and staying in the top 6 are simply just to save face. As I said above, squad movements suggest we're already looking towards next season and I would be very surprised if MM hasn't already had or planned forthcoming interviews for the manager's job.

I would like to ask Mel though, where is Sam Rush? If there is one single person who has had a significant positive impact on the club in recent times it's been him. Without meaning to sound derogatory to MM, we absolutely love your money and what it brings to this club but please, try to take more of a back seat and have faith in your employees to make the most of your fantastic financial input. Let Sam do his job and pull those strings because we certainly wouldn't have your current investment without him.

The season is genuinely, realistically over guys. Please don't tar me with some negativity brush or as some bi-polar half-fan. The most we can reach is the playoffs and can we really win them? If we do win them what comes after that?

Let's do things properly again from the ground up next season and not harass DW too much for what he's doing now. Let's not harass MM just yet until we have a new manager in place and we see the squad details for next season.

Just now, igorlegend said:

So you would choose from a field of thirty candidates, most of them experienced..........Wassell?  QED 

you have to show me the 30 names.

If they included these 30 I am going to pluck out of thin air, then I'd stay with Wassall

Brown, Jewell, Dowie, Peter Taylor, Bothroyd, Worthington, Megson, Strachan, Southgate, Pearce, Sanchez, Walter Smith, Moore, Staunton, Blackwell, Adams, Avram Grant, McGhee, Mickey Adam, Dave Bassett, Kinnear, Roeder, Adkins, Mackay, Saunders, McLeish, Houllier, Robins, Powell, Gregory, Wilson... is that 30 yet..?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's not a manager though, he's a head coach.

Ha.. You got me!! 

You know the worst outcome for myself this season. I did say it to Utch pre season but he got me positive and I rallied... I'm beginning to be resigned to things just not going to be right. I just about expected this result tonight. I'm not believing these players are happy...the club is happy... I'm caring less and less. I look at Ince for example and just see a half @rsed " if it goes my way then good" type of player... and just sigh. 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If they included these 30 I am going to pluck out of thin air, then I'd stay with Wassall

Brown, Jewell, Dowie, Peter Taylor, Bothroyd, Worthington, Megson, Strachan, Southgate, Pearce, Sanchez, Walter Smith, Moore, Staunton, Blackwell, Adams, Avram Grant, McGhee, Mickey Adam, Dave Bassett, Kinnear, Roeder, Adkins, Mackay, Saunders, McLeish, Houllier, Robins, Powell, Gregory, Wilson... is that 30 yet..?

In no way do I have to show you a confidential list Mel possesses. Did Mel not tell you the names ? He said loads of applicants, and this 

level of applicants all despite Mel saying he wanted a rookie. As Mel advised me some were currently in jobs, your list is going to be colossal. Happy typing.

Try listening to public comments Mel makes, as well as the private ones. Including things you cannot tell us, but which gave you confidence. I read your Saturday evening post .........

1 minute ago, igorlegend said:

Did Mel not tell you the names ? He said loads of applicants, despite Mel saying he   Wanted a rookie. 

Try listening to public comments Mel makes, as well as the private ones. Including things you cannot tell us, but which gave you confidence. I read your Saturday evening post .........

my confidence was based upon Wassall coming across as both a Derby man and a football man, who knew what he wanted to do. To a certain extent, he has done that. 50% win rate, regardless of opposition, is not bad.

Mel didn't want to mention names, cos I reckon some were in jobs.

I don't blame Wassell for taking the job or the situation he's found himself in - he's clearly trying his best too. Problem is I just don't feel he's equipped with the skills needed to get the senior team playing to a promotion standard.

The disappointing thing is all the noises from the club smack of us having thrown the towel in for the season, when actually we're in a really promising position. 

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

my confidence was based upon Wassall coming across as both a Derby man and a football man, who knew what he wanted to do. To a certain extent, he has done that. 50% win rate, regardless of opposition, is not bad.

Mel didn't want to mention names, cos I reckon some were in jobs.

Correct.....Mel told us via a bbc to interview that managers in jobs were applying / expressing an interest. So a list of experienced out of work managers is not going to reveal their names now is it.

Yep the Thorne question troubled me ,, on ramplayer interview he said Thorne not injured but not fit and when fit would/ could play?? Bent pull out with migraine last week ,, Johnson one game illness when not in the squad ,, it's all a bit regular for my liking ,, I'm just about ok with writing the season off but only if it's marking time to get the right manager at the club ,,, I'm beginning to have my doubts on that though

No point in getting rid. If we miss out on the play-offs I won't care. I was gutted last season at our collapse but real work needs to be done.

I just want this season over with to be honest, every Boro, Hull, whoever slip up is another kick in the teeth of what could have been if we managed our resources properly. I doubt MM is very happy either. A new manager and an overhaul will be our story of the summer I expect.

A new manager now isn't going to sort our season out, the best I think we could have hoped for this season was the Wassell got some belief in the squad and hope that pushed us through. 50% of the time you can argue that its worked, but nights like tonight those limitations are exposed. 

The one thing I have thought about over the last few weeks, is about fitness groundwork and the importance of a good pre season and how it can effect a squad many months later. We can near on convincingly say that one of the many reasons Clement no longer is Derby manager is the concerns of this squads fitness. I feel this has been pretty evident since Forest Away, that we really struggle to play three games in a week consistently. That also showed during the christmas run. It is now too late to try and recover that problem and games like tonight (in performance in as much as result) have become the norm. But also I dont think its that lack of core fitness, its not helped when it comes to player recovery. Prime example would be George Thorne's stop/start season. After his injury surely he needed to be at his physical prime this season? He has looked anything but and this lets little niggles stop him.

Now I wont be popular saying this last bit either and I'm not sure if im ruining my point, but I do think this is important. But the last season we were physically 'ready' to battle for promotion was the play off year. Who did the pre-season that year? Nigel Clough. Granted, Mclaren gave them a big kick up the backside to get them playing, but the core conditioning to get them ready was done before his arrival. I might be going a little ott here, but I think in that play off season we had that extra 10% over other teams which meant we could dominate games. I don't think the last two years we have had that.

43 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

That is one scary list. Thanks for the nightmares!

A defeat , and again another massive over reaction from many ! I wasn't at the game tonight so can't comment on the performance.  But in general I think come Christmas Mel's had a look at what's happened over the last 6 months.  And thought **** ! I've made some mistakes here,  so instead of rushing in and making the same mistakes again he's took 2 steps back , bought someone in too steady te ship , promotion would be nice but not a necessity this season . Let's get a proper plan together for next season . Let's learn from our mistakes and let's move forward together as a club ! Do things the way he wants to do it ! Like I've said mistakes have been made I'm sure Mel's quite aware of that!  But some of things being said are really not fair . Just look around at some clubs owners and the way there ran then think your self lucky what you've got . What we've all got as rams fans . 

Archived