Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And I couldn't agree more.  Waffall has been helped by a run of winnable games and he's still screwing it up.  

I'm sure he's a really nice guy and all.  And he's doing a bang up job at running the academy but he really isn't up to this task.  I just pray that Mr Morris has candidates in mind, he's spoken to them and they're either indisposed (eg. Warburton), or legally unable to take the job (eg. Pearson) until the summer.  If he's as smart as a lot of people seem to think, it's the only logical reason for his actions...

Honestly, at the minute we just need someone with a bit more managerial experience; that understands how to balance the team and get us attacking with more intent, because that's the issue we don't look dangerous at all in possession...

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

the twisted thing is, he has come in and done exactly what everyone was loudly crying out for.

Where some of us knew throwing money around solves nothing, and I personally have always been a "Get better out of the players you have before replacing them" type, Mel has done, in many people's eyes the right thing, it just didn't work.

I cannot understand the need for panic, after all, it's only been 7 months in to his plan. You last couple of sentences are very very dramatic, and it shows you've never paid attention to the laws/rules/nuances/patterns of football.

Mostyn, what I was getting at in the last couple of sentences is that if Mel carries on running the club in what appears to be a dictatorial way, not trusting the professionals on the playing side to do the right thing and imposing his will on every aspect of the club like it's one of his businesses, we will not attract the calibre of coach/manager we need and we will end up a basket case like Leeds. He is in my view an arrogant man who thinks he knows better than everybody else and the events of the last couple of months have proved he doesn't. As for your last sentence I have no idea what you are talking about!

16 minutes ago, Jayram said:

As for your last sentence I have no idea what you are talking about!

what I am talking about is, we are only one decision or bit of luck/good form from being in totally different circumstances. You're acting as if the club is in absolute turmoil, when in truth, we just aren't playing too well.

I posted this thought in another section _

As for Mel and Darren, i have a therory, as Mel has said he wants to push the Academy on, and i feel he accepted this season may well be over, when he gave Darren the job (he said promotion wasn't a priority) I think he made the decision to appoint Darren and go with him till the end of the season no matter what to give him valuable experience, and make him a 'better' manager for the U21's in the coming season, learning as he will from this experience. Mel i believe is a strong intelligent man with passion and money, he isnt afraid to try things, and moves on quickly when he sees the writing on  the wall as he did with PC. I  think DW will return to the U21's better for this learning curve, however painful his after match summaries are. We just have to grit our teeth and wait for Mels next move in his strategy towards  next season...

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I think everybody needs to calm down a little bit. 

Attached are two tables: one from the 08/09 season, one from this season. Have a look where you would rather be.

Yes the football may be poor at the moment. Yes there might be uncertainty as to what will happen in the future. Yes we've spent £25 million without progressing a fraction.

However, we're 5th in the league. Yes, 5th. We would have run down the street naked to see us 5th coming towards in the league coming towards the run-in in that 08/09season. And 09/10. And 10/11, etc. 

When we were regularly finishing in the bottom half of the Championship, we had nothing to play for. We weren't really threatened by relegation but we were sure as hell not in the promotion race. We're now 5th with something to fight for, the chance to get into the Premier League, with the financial backing of a wealthy owner who's a local man. Yes, we might not agree with every decision that he's made but that's football and this is what we've got; we can either moan about it or get on with it and back the lads to the hilt every other Saturday, starting against the red dogs. 

Just put things into perspective and it doesn't all seem so bad. After all, I know I would rather be 5th in the league with 12 games to go rather than 18th.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The difference being we knew we were **** back in the 08/09 season and there was no expectations at all other than to stay afloat, games were actually quite enjoyable, because the fans just took the p*** and had a laugh, we were more friendly... now we've become a toxic lot, expectations have gone through the roof and we're throwing money around like Jack Nicholsons joker, and the football at the moment isn't any better than it was from those Clough years.

I think it'll improve though, if mel can hire a manager and stay out of the dressing room, go into the back and stay there then I honestly think we'll see massive improvement.

2 minutes ago, nfb said:

I posted this thought in another section _

As for Mel and Darren, i have a therory, as Mel has said he wants to push the Academy on, and i feel he accepted this season may well be over, when he gave Darren the job (he said promotion wasn't a priority) I think he made the decision to appoint Darren and go with him till the end of the season no matter what to give him valuable experience, and make him a 'better' manager for the U21's in the coming season, learning as he will from this experience. Mel i believe is a strong intelligent man with passion and money, he isnt afraid to try things, and moves on quickly when he sees the writing on  the wall as he did with PC. I  think DW will return to the U21's better for this learning curve, however painful his after match summaries are. We just have to grit our teeth and wait for Mels next move in his strategy towards  next season...

having sat in the room a few days after that decision was made, I got the impression it was (rightly or wrongly) a decision based on Mel's belief that Wassall would get the players back on track.

We are where we are. Uncomfortable at the moment but peoples reaction is so OTT I wonder about peoples sanity.

Look these are only my opinions and I respect everyone is entitled to theirs, but please look at the bigger picture.

We are 5th in the table with a realistic chance of play-offs. Not mid table, not a relegation place. 

As individuals our squad is strong, I accept current performances are disappointing

We have a local, loaded owner and the club is financially secure (better situation than 90% of clubs, quite literally)

Because of the above and when it becomes necessary we will be able to attract a high calibre manager

Please keep some perspective and stop "hounding out" people who support the RAMS like we do, want success every bit as much as we do and are currently doing their best to deliver it for all of us.

Please calm down or we could create a far worse scenario than we are currently in which is just a temporary loss of form which will return.

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what I am talking about is, we are only one decision or bit of luck/good form from being in totally different circumstances. You're acting as if the club is in absolute turmoil, when in truth, we just aren't playing too well.

There's a host of problems you are simply ignoring of which the main one is this season's 'policy' for bringing in new players who don't get played ( and the stated intention was to play them not just for development), no stability in team selection and its contribution to poor performances.

If you think we are one decision away from turning it round can't imagine what games you've been at recently. For me were are in Phil Brown territory and it won't end well.

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

There's a host of problems you are simply ignoring of which the main one is this season's 'policy' for bringing in new players who don't get played ( and the stated intention was to play them not just for development),

what 'policy' is this then?

If you think there is a policy, then you're another who pays no attention to football.

Cast your mind back to the history of the game.

Bjorn Otto Bragstad - bought but never played

Liam Dickenson - bought but never played

Dave Martin/Chris Maguire - bought but never played.

You're being deliberately problematic if you're insisting that the current couple of players bought in error are done so out of something more deliberate than the previous players, under previously owners and managers who didn't play!

Clubs make mistakes when signing players. Name me any team, any manager, and I will name a player that didn't play much.

Stop nit-picking and being overly critical of your own club for doing things that 90% of clubs do.

Show some loyalty!

39 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

having sat in the room a few days after that decision was made, I got the impression it was (rightly or wrongly) a decision based on Mel's belief that Wassall would get the players back on track.

Then it seems he was incorrect, but if his intention is to allow him to resume his role with U21's this summer then, DW may well be better than he was at taking them forward because of the experience he's gaining, which for me is one of the few positives i can see  atm.

3 minutes ago, nfb said:

DW may well be better than he was at taking them forward because of the experience he's gaining, which for me is one of the few positives i can see  atm.

You don't consider that if he makes a negative impact on the 1st team, then that might be a negative to how he is respected by U21 players?

I feel like Derby fans have turned into Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd/Arsenal/Spurs fans. Got some money and now if we aren't winning every game AND playing well then we're no good. I have been guilty of it! but am starting to chill out and put things in perspective. 

Just because we have money and have spent means f all, just focus on supporting the team and not creating a toxic atmosphere, that for me is what really cause's consistent bad performances as all confidence is lost both in the players and the fans! Hate we're becoming one of those clubs who only sing when we're winning...

I did think that, but from all accounts, the team prefer working with him to PC even if results arn't good, if senior players arn't being negative then nor will the U21's, lets hope he IS better for the experience...

Maybe this team are hard work. They've already seen off three managers.

perhaps they like Wass because he's a wuss who takes them go-carting or - whatever it was.

19 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Answer to what exactly? If no one is arsed about promotion this season then he gives us what we are missing for the rest of it and that is passion. I mention nothing of wins. As a side note I say we burn the captains armband. 

As a season ticket holder I want exciting football. I want to win. I want to play against the best teams in the country - as a fan I have ambition thabks. Sadly Buxton as nice a chap as he is isn't the answer. Just remember who gave him the chance and where he came from. He's done well but is past his own sell by date I'm afraid - my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Clement: 5 losses in 30

Wassall: 3 losses in 6

Work that one out.

Clement: 0 wins in first 6 games after signing his own players and having a pre-season

Wassall: 3 wins in first 6 games with inherited squad and none of his own signings.

Work that one out.

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Clement: 0 wins in first 6 games after signing his own players and having a pre-season

Wassall: 3 wins in first 6 games with inherited squad and none of his own signings.

Work that one out.

Clement was the wrong man.

Wassall is the wrong man.

Easy peasy, next!

Archived