Steve McClaren

BBG83

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Bit of both I suppose. Some of that is less about what I think and more how we're perceived by other managers and clubs. Just assume for a second that Brendan Rodgers is willing to take a Championship team on as a project, why would he come here? What exactly do we have that means he can take us to success?

37 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Why Championship clubs? You misunderstand what I'm saying. Why do people think that despite the fact this guy will have rafts of top flight offers, both domestic and foreign, he would decide to come to Derby? What sets us apart from every other offer he'll have, not just Championship offers?

We think managing Derby is an attractive prospect because we're Derby fans. This is almost as bad as when Forest fans thought that Mourinho might decide to "prove himself" by taking the Forest job. Those fans were ridiculed for believing that such a prestigious coach would decide to throw away all the career progression he's made just to take on a 'project'. And rightly so. This is the same.

Brendan Rodgers has nothing to prove to anyone at Championship level. He managed here, did well, and got a better job at a higher club. He's not going backwards. Case closed.

If you write 'assume that BR is willing to take a Championship team on as a project, why would he come here' it clearly means why us compared to other Championship clubs.

I didn't misunderstand. 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sage said:

If you write 'assume that BR is willing to take a Championship team on as a project, why would he come here' it clearly means why us compared to other Championship clubs.

I didn't misunderstand. 

No it doesn't. I'm saying assuming he's willing to come here, what would his reasoning be exactly for choosing us over all the other clubs he could go to?

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

No it doesn't. I'm saying assuming he's willing to come here, what would his reasoning be exactly for choosing us over all the other clubs he could go to?

Oh yes it does

I think this debate is probably better on the who would you appoint next thread but I Tombomis being a bit negative on the Rogers front. Rogers has had two premiership posts .. Making his name in Wales and then the natural career progression to Liverpool. He didn't do a bad there but fell as so many have fallen  when trophies aren't delivered at a top club. 

So what job is he in the frame for ? .. None of the mega clubs. So Newcastle ? ... Villa ? ... Not sure who in the middle of the premier league are searching. Most of them are very happy where they are and this year the wannabe's are doing pretty well.

so .. Rescue job with a team trying to survive with all the risks of failure .. Or DCFC .. Prosperous stable club with good fan base and the potential to be a hero. 

I dont believe the Mel interferes thing .. Yes one slip with the dressing room visit but in all honesty he just cares about his club and his money. He gave PC a lot of rope when one considers the slow start and the backing in the transfer market. 

To stay on topic .. Maclaren could have kept his job if he had simply said "I am a Derby man and have no interest in Newcastle. I want to build something here". .. He didn't he tried to be a slippery politician. Loved the good times when his team were buzzing and was prepared to live with the melt down. He didn't have the options that PC has had. But difficult to forgive the ducking and diving. In the end he went back to his home patch for a shed load of personal cash. Whatever happens to him is on his own head. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Great ground, big fan-base, a moneyed-up owner not afraid to splash the cash, what is on paper a strong squad with great potential, a decent academy set-up and, by and large, great fans.

Apart from that i can't think of anything :)

I remain an unmitigated McClaren fan and a strong believer in "lessons learned" provided the individual(s) have sufficient introspection to review their mistakes honestly.

Still not quite understanding the haste in the Clement decision, I did note the apparent wistfulness in Mel Morris' demeanour as he was talking about how last season unfolded. It did immediately cause me to wonder if he'd consider peace with McClaren. Then Sam Rush seemed to disappear.

I wouldn't wager on either man burying the hatchet sufficient to work together again but, if they do, I'd be ecstatic.

Just now, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Great fans?????? Obviously not been in the SS this season then?

In SA fella so no chance of getting to a game until I return to Blighty.  Did say 'by and large' too!  A few mates have told me that sections of the home fans had been pretty negative this year so I take your point.  Personally I can't see Rodgers coming anyway, even if we got promoted but if he did take a job in the Championship, why not with us was what I was trying to convey.

From the breakfast with Mel I got the impression that Mel disliked McClaren after what he did (or supposedly did).

Really don't think he would want him back and neither do I to be honest. When the chips were down he just didn't do enough to turn things around.

6 hours ago, rynny said:

They have transfer acquisition team, some of the players he wanted were never suggested, Balotelli was a last ditch signing to get a big name player in after Suarez was sold.

Does that mean he had no input into the acquisition teams lists if he wanted a particular player? Bizarre system! 

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

From the breakfast with Mel I got the impression that Mel disliked McClaren after what he did (or supposedly did).

Really don't think he would want him back and neither do I to be honest. When the chips were down he just didn't do enough to turn things around.

You got chips?

Just now, toldu said:

Pundits now realising his inability to stop the rot at Derby was a measure of his managerial non-skills 

I thought everyone agreed it was injuries

plus fighting with buxton.

Plus Lee Grants goalkeeping

plus other teams trying too hard 

plus an unexpected shift in magnetic north

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Does that mean he had no input into the acquisition teams lists if he wanted a particular player? Bizarre system! 

Worked for Forest.

Oh, wait....

53 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

From what Rodgers said in a interview recently 

3 hours ago, HKRam said:

You did mentioned FFP's implications on our budget and possible embargo, on Feb 18 and Mar 1, respectively.

As I stated previously, whether we'd be that bad depends on whether those assumptions (e.g., stay down or even finishes outside of Top 6, not able to move deadwood, ticket sale drops) turn out to be true, and we can debate all day the likelihood for each of those to happen. But no matter what, I doubt anyone could say that we have been particuarly financially prudent.

True, it's his own money that MM gambled, so to speak. And we can't really blame MM for being ambitious and pouring money in. However, I don't know if he has been well-advised. MM being a long-term DCFC fan and a rookie owner needs a strong chief executive to do his job, like playing devil advocates and providing check and balance. I would never know if Sam Rush did any of these, but I could imagine a scenario in which we need a scapegoat or something like that. I mean, we've already found one in PC so probably Rush is the next to let go. We'll see how things turn out approaching the end of this season.

And you said we are stuck with Johnson, Blackman, Ince, Weimann, Shackell, and Camara!? OMG...

As I said, there clearly is potential for failing FFP, but it's by no means inevitable. That pre-supposes that we have planned to go close to the FFP limit, which with our spending and presumed increase in wages, I can't believe that we haven't. If that is the case then any significant shortfall in turnover has the potential to push us over the edge. IMO, that could happen if significant amounts of fans stop going to games. That may well occur if results and performances don't improve as the perception will be that if the club has given up on the season then why should the fans bother. A large part of that perception comes from employing the failing Darren Wassall (yes he would be failing if results and performances don't improve) as manager.

Bringing in a new manager with a track record would prevent any drastic loss of revenue as people would be interested in the building process and understand that the team might have to go one step back in order to take two steps forward.

We are probably stuck with this season's big money signings (anything over a Barker) as there will still be amortisation losses to account for even if we sell them. For any that are on four year contracts we need to get 75% of their original fees back to avoid making a book loss (the other 25% has been lost in the season's accounts). As they are all supposedly on relatively high salaries it will be hard to find buyers. Now Mel might be quite happy to take the losses in order to move out unwanted players, but he can't do anything about the FFP loss - unless he buys a foreign club and sells them to himself. The only one that we could probably move on without a loss would be Butterfield.

One thought that I did have on the possibility of an embargo, The club would have a fair idea that it was going to happen as soon as the season finished. However they don't have to submit the FFP figures until December, and the embargo would come into force in January. That mean that the club would have two choices in the summer (assuming not promoted); embark on a cost cutting exercise to ensure that the embargo only lasted for one window, or throw everything at the summer window to try to buy promotion, despite not being allowed to sign anyone in January.

Archived