Steve McClaren

BBG83

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/03/2016 at 14:13, Ninos said:

I'm an As fan - have been for many a year - and billy beane is a total donkey - ruining a championship bound team with a spectacularly incompetent sequence of trades where he decided to go for it and bought in hired guns such as Jon lester and some other donkey pitchers and traded the heart of the team in Cespedes and the teams future in Shortstop Addison Russell. Now my As are a joke. Disrupting the chemistry of a tight group who play with passion was something beane never understands ... Sounds familiar huh? 

And we did win the World Series when we beat the Giants during that earthquake series ... And historically are one of the most successful franchises in baseball ... 

Yeah, my wording was a bit unclear - I mean they have never won under Beane - historically they are very successful, and in more recent years they won a few in the '70s and once in the '80s.

I'm not sure they were Championship-bound before he went all-in on Lester and co. but those trades definitely didn't pan out as he hoped. I think the basic Moneyball idea is sound - find players with important but under-rated skills - but other teams have caught up with the SABRmetrics and it's got harder to identify relevant and exploitable market inefficiencies.

Archived