Steve McClaren

BBG83

30 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Dean Saunders for me, at least we would have more attacking football (The Derby Way)

Sacked by Chesterfield - the barrel is being well and truly scraped tonight.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Sacked by Chesterfield - the barrel is being well and truly scraped tonight.

.........But only because he wasn't playing the Chesterfield Way.

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

Why wouldn't you want Pearson? I can 90% guarantee that if we got him as soon as Clement was sacked we would get promotion and survive the next season in the prem.

Based on what?

13 hours ago, HKRam said:

No. He would not even want to come back. 

I could not imagine any decent manager wanting to join us at this point. According to an informal financial forecast done by @CornwallRam, no new manager (if there's ever one) has any money to spend, given how much we've spent in the last two trnasfer windows, and.on the assumption that we stay down (indeed, he predict an embargo in Jan 2017). So would Pearson want to come? Would McClaren? And Rowett, Rodgers, Moyes?

Just ask yourself if George Thorne or Tom Ince would want to join DCFC at the current state of affairs -- say if they turn back the clock and could make their career choices again. The answer is simply no.

If his forecast is correct that is. That is an extremely bold assumption to make in the first place. 

At this time to my knowledge the official line is a permanent manager will be appointed in the summer. Anything beyond that is speculation and conjecture. 

12 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I will never forgive mcclaren for having his head turned last season. We played some nice football under him and that is all in my opinion. As brain clough said "if your loyal, your loyal, if your not your not!" 

As someone who followed Derby County all over the country in the late 60s and early 70s a sentence that includes Clough and loyalty as an argument is pushing it a bit!  The quote was in an interview by Clough aimed at Peter Taylor a few years after he had passed away it started "I never made it up with him" .....................something he always regretted!

Lots of "making  up" to do all round before anything happens here.  Would I like to see him back............yep! 

12 hours ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

I have a horrible feeling Morris has lined up Stimac. He's hell bent on pleasing the fans, even if that means he doesn't think things through properly.

Bit of a coincidence that Igor wrote to the fans now and not during any of the other dire periods since 2001.

Maybe it's the first time he has noticed that we have some petulant fans with a sense of self entitlement, who are completely ungrateful to people trying to do good things for the club?

11 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

A manager who is very well spoken and has excellent championship/ league 1 experience and he plays good football in the process, he did untold wonders with Brentford and found several real Gems (odubajo, diaguraga, jota, judge, pritchard)

Was this Warburton or their recrutiment department? I thought the reason he left was something to do with the owner placing too much reliance on his own software for recruiting players? 

Indeed, we understand Charnley headed straight for Newcastle's dressing-room following their 5-1 humiliation at Chelsea last month, a performance former captain Alan Shearer labelled as 'embarrassing and hopeless'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3475316/Newcastle-boss-Steve-McClaren-sacked-club-lose-Bournemouth-senior-players-grow-frustrated-reign.html

19 hours ago, HKRam said:

No. He would not even want to come back. 

I could not imagine any decent manager wanting to join us at this point. According to an informal financial forecast done by @CornwallRam, no new manager (if there's ever one) has any money to spend, given how much we've spent in the last two trnasfer windows, and.on the assumption that we stay down (indeed, he predict an embargo in Jan 2017). So would Pearson want to come? Would McClaren? And Rowett, Rodgers, Moyes?

Just ask yourself if George Thorne or Tom Ince would want to join DCFC at the current state of affairs -- say if they turn back the clock and could make their career choices again. The answer is simply no.

I'm not sure that I did predict an embargo. If turnover collapses for the rest of the season then there is a possibility that we'll fail FFP, but I'd be surprised if things went that far, or that Mel, Sam and Stephen Pearce don't have it under control.

Baird going to Fulham may have generated a small loan fee, and I presume his wages are now saved. Ssewankambo's  transfer attracted a fee, OK not a large one, but £50k here or there can make a huge difference to the p&ls.

Our spending this season will clearly have a knock on effect of reducing the spending available for the next three seasons if FFP survives that long. Even so, I'd predict that we'll have a few £million to spend, it just won't be close to £25m next season. Also, there is plenty of scope for cash generation. Reaching the play-offs will gain us at least a £million. Losing at Wembley (plus the money from the semis) is worth c£4m. That would be available to the manager for next season, assuming that Mel is happy to keep ploughing his own cash in. Then there's the the option of selling players. We're probably stuck with Johnson, Blackman, Ince, Weimann, Shackell, Camara and Butterfield as selling them at a loss would really dent the FFP calculation. However, selling Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick, Martin, Christie, Hanson, Bennett, Grant, Carson, Keogh, Buxton, Pearce, Baird, Russell, Bent and maybe Thorne would all generate varying degrees of cash, which would also help next season's transfer funds. 

just banged £100 on Rodgers 8/1. Just read an interview with him and a few clues he may be coming to us. Funny enough the interview just happened to be just after PC got the boot.

he made it adamant that he is not even interested in taking a job till summer also clearly states that it does not have to be one of the big clubs just that the challenge needs to be right. 

5 minutes ago, harryram said:

just banged £100 on Rodgers 8/1. Just read an interview with him and a few clues he may be coming to us. Funny enough the interview just happened to be just after PC got the boot.

he made it adamant that he is not even interested in taking a job till summer also clearly states that it does not have to be one of the big clubs just that the challenge needs to be right. 

Any ideas on who broadcasted/published this interview? I will say, don't think that's a safe bet.

10 hours ago, HKRam said:

I think @CornwallRam would be able to tell us more about the FFP situation, because he seems to have an accounting & finance background and seems to have spent time looking at the DCFC's books.

But from what I can gather from his posts, he made his (informal) projection based on the following three assumptions:

- DCFC stay down, which means that we neither get a share of the new TV money (from £99m up to £150m depending on position, according to an estimation made by ESPN) nor any parachute payment (65m over four years if DCFC face immediate relegation like the 2007-2008 season);

- We have a hard time moving the deadwood (hello Blackman, Weimann, Shotton, Baird, and Peace~) unless we are willing to make big price cuts, which we will be forced to make given other clubs know that (a) our squad is so bloated and (b) we overspent and have an urgent need to reclaim at least some money back;

- Ticket sale drops, because fans get frustrated after another season of disappointment (which is arguably even more severe than last one after so much money was spent).

We can debate all day about the likelihood of each of those assumptions to be true. And probably we get promoted or we are able to move deadwood without big losses (hello China~). We just need to know that all financial models including forecasts are done based on assumptions, and to me, those assumptions look pretty real.

And yes, CornwallRam's already taken the "installment" thing into consideration. The embargo scenario could well be the worst case scenario, like if we could not move one single deadwood out or if gate revenue dropped by a significant amount.

Again, I am not an accounting & finance expert so let's hope @CornwallRam chime in.

No I don't. Actually I'm a historian. I have some financial knowledge from studying 18th & 19th century military logistics and spending, but I'm no expert. What I'm good at at is research and interpreting sources. I've spent a lot of time reading about FFP because, sadly, I find it interesting. I've also gained a lot of understanding from Ramblur's (financial guru) superb posts. If memory serves, then G Star, Ramms and Martyn are the ones on here from proper financial backgrounds.

17 hours ago, Rams1884 said:

I thought that was the DNA of being a Rams fan. A few great seasons here and there interspersed with years of mediocrity at best... And before you ask I have been supporting them since the early seventies and neither Nigel or Steve would feature in my top 5 Managers since then. 

Depends what criteria you use. Do not underestimate the job that NC did in steadying the ship which stopped us becoming the next 'big' club to drop into League One. SM inherited a good squad from him and moulded it so he had an easier job.

I am frustrated at our current strategy but with MM running the club I believe it's only a matter of time before we go up.

13 hours ago, eddie said:

Not in a million years.

You're also being highly selective with your memory. The day after we ousted the Amigos, on the pitch after Ted McMinn's testimonial, Igor made his famous 'unfinished business' speech.

He had plans for the Pink Coconut which involved reorienting the bar and installing cage dancers.

37 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

He had plans for the Pink Coconut which involved reorienting the bar and installing cage dancers.

Why didn't you say so in the first place?

1 hour ago, harryram said:

He thinks he's going to get the England job after woy ! If not he might come to us !

Archived