Steve McClaren

BBG83

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've never been that taken with Warburton tbh, one season at League one, one season at Championship.

On the face of it his record seems ok, but I wonder if his work at Brentford was down to the recruitment system they'd set up, as far as I understand it the recruitment they had was down to the owners software, not Warburton personally.

Done well at Rangers, but no better than I'd expect seeing as their budget must be 5x anyone else in that league.

He was sacked for not conforming to the 'Moneyball method'. He didn't want that recruitment method.

As an aside, the method they used with regards to transfers post-Warburton has seen them lose eight of last season's starting eleven. 

It's also similar to the method Clement introduced here. I think he himself stated that he was friends with Billy Beane.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, harryram said:

just banged £100 on Rodgers 8/1. Just read an interview with him and a few clues he may be coming to us. Funny enough the interview just happened to be just after PC got the boot.

he made it adamant that he is not even interested in taking a job till summer also clearly states that it does not have to be one of the big clubs just that the challenge needs to be right. 

Christ, you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. Fancy throwing some of that my way?

Brendan Rogers does it for me ,he is one of the people who has a professional in this game will coach any body's misfits

Providing the price is right.Yep 4 Head Coaches in three seasons, Good system. The next level were moving to the next level.

Reading our F,F,P,statistics to raise cash 10 of Cloughs  Squad would raise cash, .3 seasons after he was sacked, and would not be sold at a loss. Time has past and we move on

Schteve upset the players and his tactics became kamikaze

nevertheless when it was all over he rejected newcastle and committed to us.

having waited and waited for him to do exactly that, Mel then promptly sacked him in true Mel style.

personally I thought everyone should have just gone on holiday for a while and then returned refreshed and ready to go again.

Now......

having seen how trigger happy mel is, i think it is even more understandable that any manager would give the option of a move to a premier league club serious consideration, so its less of a problem to me than it was. 

But troy is right.....he'd be mad to come back, and i can't see it happening. 

Brendan rodgers has had his ups and downs. Did well with watford, sacked by Reading, did very well with swansea, then sacked by Liverpool.

his performance at Liverpool has to raise grave doubts. He never seemed to know what he was trying to do; spent a fortune; signed balotelli which should carry some sort of warning; and his man management.....omg - it was cringeworthy on the Being Liverpool documentary.

He's a bit like a fit bird with b.o.

are we that desperate ?

maybe.

51 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Gotta let the febrile atmosphere build to time the moment to the max and then........skidoooooshhhhh........

Is that like holding your breath until you hear the poo plop? If so, don't build your bog over a mineshaft.

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Brendan rodgers has had his ups and downs. Did well with watford, sacked by Reading, did very well with swansea, then sacked by Liverpool.

his performance at Liverpool has to raise grave doubts. He never seemed to know what he was trying to do; spent a fortune; signed balotelli which should carry some sort of warning; and his man management.....omg - it was cringeworthy on the Being Liverpool documentary.

He's a bit like a fit bird with b.o.

are we that desperate ?

maybe.

They have transfer acquisition team, some of the players he wanted were never suggested, Balotelli was a last ditch signing to get a big name player in after Suarez was sold.

We're missing the most important thing about Brendan Rodgers. Everyone is saying "he might drop down a league for the right project".

In what way are we the right project? Trigger happy, interfering chairman, squad made up half of underachieving bottle-jobs and the other half overpaid prima-donnas who don't give a flying one about the club. We've got over-expectant whining fans who boo the team at the slightest deviation from perfection. Situated in a city that is only really loved by the inhabitants (face it, Derby is a dump. I love it, but it's a dump). We would be in our fourth crack of the whip at promotion, having failed three successive times in spectacular circumstances (and by the looks of the trend, we're beginning the bottling earlier and earlier every year).

What exactly makes us an attractive prospect for a man who very nearly won the Premier League? Other than the fact we're kindred spirits in that both DCFC and Brendan are bottlers who have no clue what to do when the going gets tough.

What Mel wants is someone who in on board with the project.

I'd be surprised if it's Rodgers or Pearson or any obvious choice like that because if that's what he wanted, that's what he'd go out and get (i believe from the breakfast club thread).

So, I'm anticipating left field, not old or old school, don't think it'll be Wassall.

I like Warburton but don't know if he'd want it. Gary Monk might be into it - been around a club that built itself over a number of years so might have an idea about the project Mel has in mind, did OK when he took over the Swansea job but reletivly untried as a manager.

I bet pound to a penny it's not an established figure like Moyes or Martin O'Niell.

31 minutes ago, rynny said:

They have transfer acquisition team, some of the players he wanted were never suggested, Balotelli was a last ditch signing to get a big name player in after Suarez was sold.

I'm sure he agreed to take the gamble.

£16m worth of attitude and trouble

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We're missing the most important thing about Brendan Rodgers. Everyone is saying "he might drop down a league for the right project".

In what way are we the right project? Trigger happy, interfering chairman, squad made up half of underachieving bottle-jobs and the other half overpaid prima-donnas who don't give a flying one about the club. We've got over-expectant whining fans who boo the team at the slightest deviation from perfection. Situated in a city that is only really loved by the inhabitants (face it, Derby is a dump. I love it, but it's a dump).

But apart from that.....?

1 hour ago, cannable said:

He was sacked for not conforming to the 'Moneyball method'. He didn't want that recruitment method.

As an aside, the method they used with regards to transfers post-Warburton has seen them lose eight of last season's starting eleven. 

It's also similar to the method Clement introduced here. I think he himself stated that he was friends with Billy Beane.

What are these different recruitment methods then? Who is Billy Beane? Ta.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

But apart from that.....?

...and a team and fans who have been comfortable with mediocrity for decades, with a sole historical, short lived, claim to fame that was borne out of a once in a multi-generational freak and his right-hand man. The only real saving grace are its rolling hills and picture perfect surrounding natural environment, and that it's a long way from Grimsby.

I'm not sure about a bald manager. I just don't think that works. Even severe thinning is a cause for concern.

I quite like the idea of a snowy. We haven't had that since Peter Taylor.

I don't like a lot of tan. Thats the big problem with Wassall but .......Phil Brown...omg. That gives me the shakes. Although it seems ok on Roberto Martinez. No....not worth the risk.

i don't like blokes whose eyes go in different directions.

No more short@rses. The best thing about PC was that he was quite tall. Good choice in jumpers. Two watches. No bs.

We don't want a red-faced bloke. Harry Redknapp fails this test and the one about the eyes.

i just wish people were as logical as me and it doesn't become some sort of beauty parade.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

More a case of last on the list and needing someone to come in.

No one is ever that desperate.

I think maybe Arsene Wenger......tall, greying......quizzical....quite intellectual combined with grumpy - which works oddly enough. 

Tombo - go and get him.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

In what way are we the right project? Trigger happy, interfering chairman, squad made up half of underachieving bottle-jobs and the other half overpaid prima-donnas who don't give a flying one about the club. We've got over-expectant whining fans who boo the team at the slightest deviation from perfection. Situated in a city that is only really loved by the inhabitants (face it, Derby is a dump. I love it, but it's a dump). We would be in our fourth crack of the whip at promotion, having failed three successive times in spectacular circumstances (and by the looks of the trend, we're beginning the bottling earlier and earlier every year).

What exactly makes us an attractive prospect for a man who very nearly won the Premier League? Other than the fact we're kindred spirits in that both DCFC and Brendan are bottlers who have no clue what to do when the going gets tough.

A controversial statement intended to stimulate debate ? Or do you have a case of seasonally acquired disorder and need some sunshine ?

Archived