Steve McClaren

BBG83

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3 March 2016 at 13:34, Shang said:

What? We're 5th in the league and comfortably within the playoff positions. Most managers would love a strong squad like ours as proven by the apparent 20 or so job inquiries (including those currently in work) since Clement left the job.

It's true, they acknowledged my application, just waiting for the interview date. Started preparing, googled Derby Way, it's a street in Stevenage .....  I'm confused

29 minutes ago, jono said:

A controversial statement intended to stimulate debate ? Or do you have a case of seasonally acquired disorder and need some sunshine ?

Bit of both I suppose. Some of that is less about what I think and more how we're perceived by other managers and clubs. Just assume for a second that Brendan Rodgers is willing to take a Championship team on as a project, why would he come here? What exactly do we have that means he can take us to success?

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Bit of both I suppose. Some of that is less about what I think and more how we're perceived by other managers and clubs. Just assume for a second that Brendan Rodgers is willing to take a Championship team on as a project, why would he come here? What exactly do we have that means he can take us to success?

Money, fans, facilities and half the squad are good.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I think maybe Arsene Wenger......tall, greying......quizzical....quite intellectual combined with grumpy - which works oddly enough. 

Tombo - go and get him.

Wait a second, Paul Clement was perhaps not all that grey but he was getting there. The rest of that describes him perfectly though... hmm...

Personally, I haven't got a clue who I want as the next manager. Can't think of any realistic manager that I'd be satisfied with. I can only hope Mel has something terrific up his sleeve. 

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Wait a second, Paul Clement was perhaps not all that grey but he was getting there. The rest of that describes him perfectly though... hmm...

Personally, I haven't got a clue who I want as the next manager. Can't think of any realistic manager that I'd be satisfied with. I can only hope Mel has something terrific up his sleeve. 

Ok......Paul Clement then.

That would at least be funny.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Money, fans, facilities and half the squad are good.

So why has nobody else been able to get us up then?

I don't mean to say we're totally hopeless, I just mean if Brendan Rodgers came here and failed, it tarnishes pretty much everything he did at Liverpool doesn't it? It's not as if we're too good a prospect to turn down. For him to turn down top flight offers to take on the Derby project, he'd have to be 110% sure that he can make it work. Given the reputation we're starting to get in the game, I don't think we're quite what he'd be looking for.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Ok......Paul Clement then.

That would at least be funny.

It'd be better than bringing McClaren back, I'm sure of that. Either way it's no good looking backwards.

Saying that, I'm too scared about looking that far forwards. Thinking about what comes next is a terrifying prospect.

5 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't mean to say we're totally hopeless, I just mean if Brendan Rodgers came here and failed, it tarnishes pretty much everything he did at Liverpool doesn't it? It's not as if we're too good a prospect to turn down. For him to turn down top flight offers to take on the Derby project, he'd have to be 110% sure that he can make it work. Given the reputation we're starting to get in the game, I don't think we're quite what he'd be looking for.

BANG ON. HE would never risk it time we all moved on mentioning his name (and Moyes). May as well throw Mourinho's name in the pot if people honestly think we could lure Rodgers or Moyes or anyone who has managed a 'top' club recently. 

5 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Count the championship clubs are better bets than us. Even Charlie George could count them on one hand. 

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was this Warburton or their recrutiment department? I thought the reason he left was something to do with the owner placing too much reliance on his own software for recruiting players? 

I am pretty sure the reason he left was because he wasn't able to recruit the players he wanted due to the software scouting system they have going. He got these players before the board wanted to go in that direction.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What are these different recruitment methods then? Who is Billy Beane? Ta.

Billy Beane revolutionised player recruitment in baseball by essentially recruiting players based off of their statistics and built a team on the cheap that won their title, often ignoring scouts. It was novelised and dramatised, both entitled 'Moneyball'. 

Now what Matthew Benham has tried to do is apply a similar statistical method onto football teams. He owns FC Midtjylland (the team who recently beat Man United) and Brentford. It's been very successful for Midtjylland but less so for Brentford. 

I remember Clement stating in an interview that he knew Billy Bean, and with him massively building the analytical department at the club and creating 'The War Room' I'd imagine that we must have been doing something similar. 

Here are a couple of links that might be worth a read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball_(film)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark

7 hours ago, Daveo said:

Indeed, we understand Charnley headed straight for Newcastle's dressing-room following their 5-1 humiliation at Chelsea last month, a performance former captain Alan Shearer labelled as 'embarrassing and hopeless'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3475316/Newcastle-boss-Steve-McClaren-sacked-club-lose-Bournemouth-senior-players-grow-frustrated-reign.html

Charnley's the Managing director.

Headed straight for the dressing-room??! I wonder if their forum will go into meltdown for a couple of months, too.

42 minutes ago, sage said:

Count the championship clubs are better bets than us. Even Charlie George could count them on one hand. 

Why Championship clubs? You misunderstand what I'm saying. Why do people think that despite the fact this guy will have rafts of top flight offers, both domestic and foreign, he would decide to come to Derby? What sets us apart from every other offer he'll have, not just Championship offers?

We think managing Derby is an attractive prospect because we're Derby fans. This is almost as bad as when Forest fans thought that Mourinho might decide to "prove himself" by taking the Forest job. Those fans were ridiculed for believing that such a prestigious coach would decide to throw away all the career progression he's made just to take on a 'project'. And rightly so. This is the same.

Brendan Rodgers has nothing to prove to anyone at Championship level. He managed here, did well, and got a better job at a higher club. He's not going backwards. Case closed.

7 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm not sure that I did predict an embargo. If turnover collapses for the rest of the season then there is a possibility that we'll fail FFP . . . . There's the the option of selling players. We're probably stuck with Johnson, Blackman, Ince, Weimann, Shackell, Camara and Butterfield as selling them at a loss would really dent the FFP calculation.

We have a big wage bill, we are committed to amortisation losses of c£7m per year for the next three seasons and won't be able to offload many of our expensive flops. If attendances drop then so does our turnover - and they will soon without some on-field improvement . . .  FFP will be so tight that a new manager won't have any real funds to play with.

Unless things turn around quickly, which is possible, but IMO unlikely without a change of manager, we'll finish the season playing to gates of less than 20,000 (actual attendances, not tickets purchased), with players' confidence shot a bottom half finish and an embargo in January.

You did mentioned FFP's implications on our budget and possible embargo, on Feb 18 and Mar 1, respectively.

As I stated previously, whether we'd be that bad depends on whether those assumptions (e.g., stay down or even finishes outside of Top 6, not able to move deadwood, ticket sale drops) turn out to be true, and we can debate all day the likelihood for each of those to happen. But no matter what, I doubt anyone could say that we have been particuarly financially prudent.

True, it's his own money that MM gambled, so to speak. And we can't really blame MM for being ambitious and pouring money in. However, I don't know if he has been well-advised. MM being a long-term DCFC fan and a rookie owner needs a strong chief executive to do his job, like playing devil advocates and providing check and balance. I would never know if Sam Rush did any of these, but I could imagine a scenario in which we need a scapegoat or something like that. I mean, we've already found one in PC so probably Rush is the next to let go. We'll see how things turn out approaching the end of this season.

And you said we are stuck with Johnson, Blackman, Ince, Weimann, Shackell, and Camara!? OMG...

Archived