Steve McClaren

BBG83

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Joel said:

Grave doubts?!

Obviously talented enough to get the Liverpool job in the first place. We're a second division side.

Rodgers gave the Premier League one of it's most exciting teams in its history with the one that almost won the league. Yeah, it went wrong for him at the end but what manager doesn't it unravel for? And what manager could do as well when trying to replace 50 league goals once Suarez was sold and Sturridge injured?

Aside from being an ex-Liverpool manager he also won promotion from the Championship, so knows what the division is about, kept them in the Premier League, plays very good football and promotes youth. 

Rodgers would be the absolute ideal appointment. It won't be him but to think we'd be "desperate" to go for him is an insult to what he has done.

Anyway, back to Schteve. His career in top flight football in England is finished if he gets sacked at Newcastle. Fascinated to see where he goes after this because there's not a chance a Premier League side would touch him after this. 

The best player he had at Liverpool, and one of the best players in the world, Suarez, wasn't signed by him, instead he brought in players like Borini and Joe Allen...!

David Brent manager who would do nothing if he came to our place.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Not exactly bill shankly though was he.

he never got to grips with the job. 

Well he brought them as close to the title as they have been for over two decades but yeah, probably not good enough for us.

And never got to grips with it?! He had three and a bit seasons there. A good amount of time not to have a grip of things. Odd.

35 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The best player he had at Liverpool, and one of the best players in the world, Suarez, wasn't signed by him, instead he brought in players like Borini and Joe Allen...!

David Brent manager who would do nothing if he came to our place.

Can I point out that he helped make Suarez one of the best players in the world. 

And yeah, his track record with signings isn't great but what manager is perfect? 

Its funny, they didn't want him there from the moment they were linked with him last February, if you think our fans are bad its nothing to what he's getting there, "get that ******* waste of space piece of **** out of our ******* club now ashley, and whilst your at it **** and die yourself"... I get the feeling he's not an happy Geordie. their fans are worse than ours when it comes to hounding, our fans are saints compared to them :lol:

At the end of the day McClaren's move to Newcastle hasn't been any good for Newcastle, Derby or McClaren. He should have stayed with us to finish the job! Surely the 'Derby way' MM refers to is the McClaren way.. 

4 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

From what I've been told, half the players wouldve happily driven him up to Newcastle by the end of last season. So even if we want to be nostalgic and hope he could come back and do a job, (some of) the players might disagree...

but then again... 'Times a healer'

Well let's ask the players who the feck they want then - because it seems to me that it's maybe them, that has held us to ransom this past season and a half.......or is it? player power - well let's have it boys. 

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Own up, whoes got the doll with a tuft of his hair in it with pins stuck in it?

I think my sister was a member of the Tufty Club

Why would some of Derby fans take him after what he did to us on toon rumours ? 

No don't want him back but thanks for your efforts though Mac! 

9 hours ago, DCFCArmy said:

Its funny, they didn't want him there from the moment they were linked with him last February, if you think our fans are bad its nothing to what he's getting there, "get that ******* waste of space piece of **** out of our ******* club now ashley, and whilst your at it **** and die yourself"... I get the feeling he's not an happy Geordie. their fans are worse than ours when it comes to hounding, our fans are saints compared to them :lol:

We boo draws, abuse players and their wives on twitter, Keogh felt the need to go and defend himself against some abuse in the stand. We chant formations and boo substitutes. 

I remember Dawkins coming on at Bournemouth to boos. Coming on to boos!! 

Whatever Newcastle fans are, we don't look like saints next to them. 

When was the last time we didn't boo at the ipro

Someone on this thread has said that Rodgers was good enough to go to Liverpool by reputation. That one sentence there is what's entirely wrong with football manager appointments. Big reputations are everywhere, big failures too often follow. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

We boo draws, abuse players and their wives on twitter, Keogh felt the need to go and defend himself against some abuse in the stand. We chant formations and boo substitutes. 

I remember Dawkins coming on at Bournemouth to boos. Coming on to boos!! 

Whatever Newcastle fans are, we don't look like saints next to them. 

When was the last time we didn't boo at the ipro

Anyone who uses social media to abuse one of their players wives isn't a fan in my eyes, ffs the need to leave the football at the ground or on here, leave the players families alone. 

Dawkins was undervalued imo, deserved better treatment but it was a small minority of idiots who can't really be helped. 

Newcastle fans are worse though imo and I stand by that, "mcclown" as lost hair.... and I didn't think that was possible, his last bit of the island is packing up and leaving :lol: almost feel sorry for him..... almost

On 04/03/2016 at 14:55, cannable said:

Billy Beane revolutionised player recruitment in baseball by essentially recruiting players based off of their statistics and built a team on the cheap that won their title, often ignoring scouts. It was novelised and dramatised, both entitled 'Moneyball'. 

Now what Matthew Benham has tried to do is apply a similar statistical method onto football teams. He owns FC Midtjylland (the team who recently beat Man United) and Brentford. It's been very successful for Midtjylland but less so for Brentford. 

I remember Clement stating in an interview that he knew Billy Bean, and with him massively building the analytical department at the club and creating 'The War Room' I'd imagine that we must have been doing something similar. 

Here are a couple of links that might be worth a read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball_(film)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark

Oakland never won the World Series, alas, though they have certainly outperformed expectations by finding players the market undervalues.

The Moneyball-inspired baseball team that has succeeded most has probably been the Boston Red Sox - owned by... the same people who own Liverpool FC.

Totally agree that any 'fan' tweeting abuse to a players partner should consider their position as a fan of this club. Why would anyone with a few brain cells even think it is appropriate to tweet a players partner full stop!

Some of the things I saw people tweeting to Bairds missus was nothing short of embarrassing and made me happy knowing Baird had got himself out of such a joke of a situation.

It wasn't his fault he was named captain against the judgement of most derby fans around.

Archived