Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​do you remember that in 2008/09, when Jewell started the season and Clough finished it, Commons played in 34 league games, starting 30. The following season, he made 20 appearances, 11 starts. IN those starts, he was subbed off every time.

Here is the team which beat Man Utd:

Derby: Carroll, Connolly, Todd (Savage 87), Nyatanga, Camara, Sterjovski (Teale 58), Green, Addison, Commons, Hulse, Davies (Barazite 81). 
Subs Not Used: Bywater, Dickinson, Powell, Hines.

Now from that team, who went onto anything even resembling a half decent club. Celtic may play in a crap league but they are a big team and had some decent results in Europe. Think you'll find Commons was and still is a key part of the Celtic team.

Maybe not now because of his age, but give me the Commons we had back then, in the Derby tee am now and I would be happy.

Here is the team which beat Man Utd:

Derby: Carroll, Connolly, Todd (Savage 87), Nyatanga, Camara, Sterjovski (Teale 58), Green, Addison, Commons, Hulse, Davies (Barazite 81). 
Subs Not Used: Bywater, Dickinson, Powell, Hines.

Now from that team, who went onto anything even resembling a half decent club. Celtic may play in a crap league but they are a big team and had some decent results in Europe. Think you'll find Commons was and still is a key part of the Celtic team.

Maybe not now because of his age, but give me the Commons we had back then, in the Derby tee am now and I would be happy.

You fail to mention the extra budget Mcclarens had to play with.

Anyone would be able to bring in better calibre of players with more money.

Since when did Clough have the luxury of signing a previous 24 mill England international? Every time Clough did get lucky and have afew quid available, he rarely signed rubbish bar Sammon.

How much on wages alone on Best and Bent? Albentosa, Warnock, Thorne, Shotton, Christie, Dawkins...non of them are setting the world alight this season to be called quality signings.

​do you remember that in 2008/09, when Jewell started the season and Clough finished it, Commons played in 34 league games, starting 30. The following season, he made 20 appearances, 11 starts. IN those starts, he was subbed off every time.

My Ideal Team if promoted

Grant

Wisdom   Curtis Davies ©   Albentosa    Forsyth

Thorne        Mascarell

Hughes

Russell                                                       Sakho

Martin                                                 

Bench: Roos, Buxton, Shotton, Kalas/Zouma, Gnabry, Hendrick, Bent

Reserves: Calero, Hanson, Warnock, Rawson, Guy

This was tougher to guess than expected.

Grant stays in goal I think, Butland signing a new deal may put him out of reach

I think, even if we get promoted Christie may be sold to West Ham if Jenkinson doesn't stay allowing us to get Wisdom for about £5 million (or undisclosed),

personally I think we would benefit greatly with a new man at the back, always been a fan of Davies and I believe for about £4million could be ours.

Our other centre back is tricky, not seen enough of Albentosa but if he recaptures former Eibor form id say him although Zouma on loan, however very unlikely, would be fantastic for both parties.

Forsyth would be my choice for LB, not really a fan but I cant fault him, with more reliable defence he could be better.

Thorne at the back partnered with Mascarel, always wanted to see this.

Hughes in front of the two with licence to show his class

Russell stays, no doubt a great player.

Sakho if Wolves stay down

Martin up top

Loan signing of either Zouma (unlikely) or Kalas (I deem this likely) and Gnabry

Permanent signing of Bent for 2.5 mill

and the promotion of some under 21 players

Btw Alberto Bueno is out of contract this summer

​I dont think Rush ever really sets out a big pot of money for the manager to spend, its more of a "Come ask me for the players you want"

Clough goes and asks for a league 2 striker

Mac goes and asks for a premier league striker

​Exactly this, I think Clough was just happy in his job and didn't want to push the owners on more ambitious targets in case he pissed them off and got himself the sack. I don't think he had the assertiveness. Or at least I think that's true of his later time at Derby, early on he genuinely didn't have the money because he was balancing the books.

Put better than I ever could. I wasn't happy when Clough was sacked, wasn't happy when McClaren appointed but over time I've reached a similar conclusion. I agree that Clough was happy in his job, happy finishing mid-table and ultimately that's what held us back. Steve got the same squad (with a couple of fantastic loan signings) to the play off final, which I don't think Nigel could have done.

I think he lacks the experience and the contacts to attract quality players. Whereas I always feel Steve has something up his sleeve. I'd expect the same if we were promoted. I've no idea who we would sign but I suspect they'd be more than good enough, and if we were to be relegated, someone we could sell on for a handsome price.

If we are the premier league, I wouldn't know where to start as the amount of players we could attract would be so vast.

If we stay down: A centre back and a right back should be our first port of call. God knows who. The only player I have highlighted as someone we should bring in his Rohan Ince. Good passer of the ball, big and strong, would add a much needed presence to our midfield. If we either keep hold of hughes or get him back on loan, then a three man midfield of Thorne, Ince and hughes would be great I think for the championship anyway.

Archived