Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Not arguing about money spent, where have I mentioned transfer fees? And pointless signings?  Where have I said they are all pointless signings? Just very average signings if anything. Would you say Simon Dawkins is any better than Johnny Russell? Would you consider Christie better than a John Brayford on his day?

The fact Mcclaren and Evans particularly get plaudits for the recruitment is quite funny, especially considering none of them permanent signings have set the world alight or are much of an improvement to the players inherited from Clough.

Cloughs key signings: Grant, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Forsyth, Ward, Buxton, Keogh, Martin. . How many players has Mcclaren brought in on a permanent contract since January 2014 who have improved the side and a regular in the eleven? And if anything Clough (who I despise) spent next to nothing on those players bar Russell and Keogh, the rest are freebies or from the academy. so you saying the club has spent barely anything maybe true (Bent 20k a week ha!), but Clough did better in the market and used the budget wisely than Mcclaren is currently doing.

​No far from that, I was however expecting him to add to the already decent players inherited from Clough and add his own players to further boast our chances of promotion.

Not a loanee here, there and everywhere.

Other than George Thorne, who has Mcclaren actually brought in on a long term contract and looked the part? Nobody is yet to answer that question.

Would you consider Shotton, Warnock, Dawkins, Whitbread and so on better than what we already had? Christie looked decent in the earlier stages of the season, what happened there?

I rate Mcclaren higher than anyone on here (read through any previous posts), but I don't trust him to go out and buy several quality players for say 5 million especially after his business at Forest.

Chris Evans is another who is always out and about looking for talent, Yet bar the odd cameo from Albentosa, i've yet to see anything on the pitch (for the first team) worthy of such plaudits. 

You fail to mention the extra budget Mcclarens had to play with.

Anyone would be able to bring in better calibre of players with more money.

Since when did Clough have the luxury of signing a previous 24 mill England international? Every time Clough did get lucky and have afew quid available, he rarely signed rubbish bar Sammon.

How much on wages alone on Best and Bent? Albentosa, Warnock, Thorne, Shotton, Christie, Dawkins...non of them are setting the world alight this season to be called quality signings.

I just find it so stupid that how can you 'class' 2 academy players as 'signings' hahaha McClaren signings>Clough signings #thatisall.

You fail to mention the extra budget Mcclarens had to play with.

Anyone would be able to bring in better calibre of players with more money.

Since when did Clough have the luxury of signing a previous 24 mill England international? Every time Clough did get lucky and have afew quid available, he rarely signed rubbish bar Sammon.

How much on wages alone on Best and Bent? Albentosa, Warnock, Thorne, Shotton, Christie, Dawkins...non of them are setting the world alight this season to be called quality signings.

You mean the same scouts who brought in Bryson, Russell, Buxton, Forsyth, Martin and Ward?

Good point there, all bad players eh?

An example of Cloughs budget limit is not having the structures to renew Green or Commons contract(s) and therefore having to say adios. Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Buxton, Martin and so on have been signed to bigger, better deals which would put most of Burnleys players to shame.

With the backing Mcclarens had by the owners (Mel Morris), particularly on loans; I expect nothing less than these standard of players coming in.

Its hard to compare the monies given to Nigel and Mac as we are in two different phases. In Cloughs last season and a half, when we could have pushed on, we remained solid midtable, at best. Mac with minimal financial outlay last season (similar to Clough years) took us to 3rd in the league. The loan signings last season were (under Clough) Smith as RB, Whitbread as CB, neither made an impact because of being sh#te/injured. Mac bought in Wisdom, Thorne, Dawkins and Bamford, all who made a major difference at moments in our season.

This isnt a slander of Clough's ability to find players, just that he obviously had a more limited pull when it came to getting in quality loans. Mac has a much larger reputation with clubs when it comes to entrusting players, and more of a pull in convincing those players to sign up. I'm not convinced Bent, Ince, Lingard or those key signings from last year would pull on a Derby shirt if Clough was still in charge, whether funds are available or not

Mcclaren is always going to have the contacts to bring in a decent loan or two, obviously from his England sin he's built up a friendship with managers/agents.

Karanka is doing just the same at Boro, a favour off his mate Jose With the countless loanees.

Darren Ferguson used to do the same at Peterborough and get youngsters from United sent over.

If we got promotion tomorrow, would you trust Mcclaren with 30 odd million to rebuild the squad? Based on his Forest signings, his secondary spell at Twente and his current signings (Warnock, Dawkins, Whitbread) I wouldn't be so confident .

If Hughes was sold, would you trust him to sign a just as good replacement with the cash? Or will it be yet more loans to cover us short term.

You mean the same scouts who brought in Bryson, Russell, Buxton, Forsyth, Martin and Ward?

Good point there, all bad players eh?

An example of Cloughs budget limit is not having the structures to renew Green or Commons contract(s) and therefore having to say adios. Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Buxton, Martin and so on have been signed to bigger, better deals which would put most of Burnleys players to shame.

With the backing Mcclarens had by the owners (Mel Morris), particularly on loans; I expect nothing less than these standard of players coming in.

Mcclaren is always going to have the contacts to bring in a decent loan or two, obviously from his England sin he's built up a friendship with managers/agents.

Karanka is doing just the same at Boro, a favour off his mate Jose With the countless loanees.

Darren Ferguson used to do the same at Peterborough and get youngsters from United sent over.

If we got promotion tomorrow, would you trust Mcclaren with 30 odd million to rebuild the squad? Based on his Forest signings, his secondary spell at Twente and his current signings (Warnock, Dawkins, Whitbread) I wouldn't be so confident .

If Hughes was sold, would you trust him to sign a just as good replacement with the cash? Or will it be yet more loans to cover us short term.

The players being bought in would have been identified by Chris Evans has available and put before Mac and his coaches for there decisions.

The quality of player is far higher than any Clough bought in on loan now I would be happy to let Mac spend our money looking at those.

If we had bought those players permantely we would now be in serious breach of FFP so by loaning in you lower that outlay.If we do not go up then we are not under any embargo and therefore can sign more quality loans or permanents to go again.

Mac has raised the standards at the club from top to bottom just look at how much better all the teams below the first team are doing.

Archived